The Student Room Group

How to get over being mugged?

Hi, I was mugged a few weeks ago in Dublin but I still have not got over it, what should I do to try and get back to normal? It was a bad mugging.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by agustusníler
Hi, I was mugged a few weeks ago in Dublin but I still have not got over it, what should I do to try and get back to normal? It was a bad mugging.

How bad was it? Ive been mugged twice myself and both times I was nervous about going out but I just forced myself to do so and it got easier each time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gemmam
How bad was it? Ive been mugged twice myself and both times I was nervous about going out but I just forced myself to do so and it got easier each time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They took everything; clothes, money, phone. I just like feel scared walking past alleys and places.
Reply 3
They took everything; clothes, money, phone. I just like feel scared walking past alleys and places.

Wow that's awful :/ have you contacted Victim Support?
Reply 4
Give it time, and carry on as normally as possible. Each time you walk home late at night, for example, it will become easier.
Reply 5
Original post by gemmam
Wow that's awful :/ have you contacted Victim Support?
Yah :frown: No, The Irish police have a statement and stuff but I guess nothing will happen.

Original post by tory88
Give it time, and carry on as normally as possible. Each time you walk home late at night, for example, it will become easier.

I don't like walking home at night anyway so I should try and do it so it wont seem so bad?
Reply 6
Start carrying a Broadsword. :medieval:
Reply 7
Yah :frown: No, The Irish police have a statement and stuff but I guess nothing will happen.

I don't like walking home at night anyway so I should try and do it so it wont seem so bad?

Maybe you could look into self defense classes to help build your confidence?
Reply 8
Original post by gemmam
Maybe you could look into self defense classes to help build your confidence?

I know like some Judo but tbh it is easer to get mugged encase they pull a knife on you. There was a nice man who helped me when I was like hiding behind the bins.
Learn boxing or a martial art. Don't let yourself be the victim.
Don't walk anywhere where there is a possibility of it happening again.
Good luck brah, sorry to hear about the mugging.
Don't go to places where it can happen, and just show extreme confidence when walking through any dangerous places. If somebody looks you in the eye, look them back in the eye, either until they look away, or after about 10 seconds, then look around your surroundings, and look back to them. Try and keep it natural, but if somebody is deliberately making eye contact with you, then you always have to reciprocate. Never take your phone or any valuables out in areas like this. Stay in well lit areas. Do not make contact with anyone, just keep walking confidently. If somebody asks you for the time, just say 'no mate' and carry on walking. Don't stop, always try and assess your exit routes.

I'm not gonna lie, it does help if you do things like keep valuables/cash in separate pockets and if you know martial arts/self-defence, and if you're a supreme physical being that's not likely to be attacked, but I am none/I do none of these and I've survived 3 mugging attempts (which isn't very many, given the areas that I go into).

If you're a girl, literally never put yourself at risk like this. A mugging is a let-off, if you know what I mean. If you want more advice, PM me.
Reply 11
Original post by gemmam

Posted from TSR Mobile

TWICE?!!
Reply 12
If you're nervous go out with friends and don't go to areas which you know are crap :smile:

My mate got mugged and beaten up quite badly so we helped him out by going with him wherever he wanted to go, he was really nervous at first and now he is back to normal so yeah just get the right people around you and move on :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by 4TSR
TWICE?!!

Yeah once when I was about 15/16 and last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Happened to me once a year without fail, that's only because of the areas in which I reside/go to school. You tend to be more diligent and aware of your surroundings especially during night times. An advice is to always go with your gut feeling when you feel there is someone dodgy in your vicinity.
Reply 15
Original post by gemmam
Yeah once when I was about 15/16 and last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

details? please? I was mugged in Birmingham :P
Reply 16
Original post by 4TSR

First time was in my local park in broad daylight and the second I was waiting for a taxi whilst coming home from a wedding reception.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by gemmam
First time was in my local park in broad daylight and the second I was waiting for a taxi whilst coming home from a wedding reception.

Posted from TSR Mobile

awww!
Reply 18
Original post by 4TSR

what area
Reply 19
Original post by tehforum
what area

centre

Quick Reply

Latest