The Student Room Group

Society needs to re-think it's stance on cannabis, it doesn't at it's own peril

We live in a student culture where alcohol is accepted as a "culture-drug", in other words a drug we consume culturally for fun.

Alcohol caused 8,748 deaths last year http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/subnational-health4/alcohol-related-deaths-in-the-united-kingdom/2011/alcohol-related-deaths-in-the-uk--2011.html

The united states; Washington, Colarado, California have all legalized and regulated cannabis. It has been legalized in some parts of Europe very recently including the Netherlands, Uruguay and very soon to be Germany. When will UK officials examine the medical facts, that cannabis is by far the safest psychoactive popular drug, causes very few if any deaths a year, and is simply a complete cash cow for gangsters and criminals. Every bag of weed goes towards funding crime, the cannabis use isn't stopping despite it's class rating going up, and people are being convicted, demonized and persecuted for what they choose to, from their rational decision consume..

To put it objectively... I risk being restrained, put into a metal cage, transported to a larger metal case and probably given some kind of warning or minor fine for choosing to consume a plant which I know is not bad for me, yet I am actively encouraged to partake in drinking alcohol, a drug which you can overdose on, you can never overdose on weed it is physically impossible to die from using the drug.

I'm not trying to demonize alcohol, I personally believe making things illegal simply doesn't work, my intention is not to demonize alcohol or drinkers but to use alcohol to highlight a staggering hypocrisy in our society.

I am a 20 year old male, I am in very good health. I do not drink alcohol, partially because I do not like the feeling but mostly because I do not want to damage my health

I do however smoke cannabis, and have for many years with no ill consequence. I have gone through phases of smoking copious amounts of cannabis... there has been no ill effect whatsoever. I study computer science at a redbrick university, I have obtained predicted grades of a first, I have developed software and know 6 computer programming languages.

However I am plagued by a problem. My peers look down on me for smoking weed. They see it as a "drug", and have no problem demonizing my cannabis use whilst holding a drink in hand, they claim it destroys braincells and your body.

The irrefutable truth however is that cannabis does not destroy braincells and that it doesn't destroy anything, it scientifically works by binding to specific receptors in the brain and STIMULATING them, this is how the high is achieved, and why no high person would ever do some of the reckless and self-destructive things people do on drugs like alcohol, this is simply because when you're stoned you are still fully conscious, at all times.

Nobody who smokes cannabis will be violent, yet how many fights do we witness in clubs, at least one every night at the hands of people who became violent from their alcohol use.

How many times do we witness people crying on the streets, screams + shouting yet with cannabis use there is none of this, whatsoever. All you'd find if people smoked on a night out is that kebab shops would be full.

As a society we need to understand the ideological and intellectual decline that is in direct correlation with our attitudes towards cannabis. we need to understand that anyone who has ever smoked cannabis will know what a minor and negligible drug it is. The possible benefits that could arise from it's legalization are profound. Not only is cannabis used as a medicine today, around the world, medically it's use is unprecedented, but it is a creative-boosting tool for musicians, artists and even computer programmers. It has been used for 1000's of years, and only criminalized recently. With such a useful tool for health and mind, and recreation why are we allowing dogma to stifle our potential to benefit from this herb.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
only medical cannabis is legal in California.
Reply 2
Original post by voodoochild
We live in a student culture where alcohol is accepted as a "culture-drug", in other words a drug we consume culturally for fun.

Alcohol caused 8,748 deaths last year http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/subnational-health4/alcohol-related-deaths-in-the-united-kingdom/2011/alcohol-related-deaths-in-the-uk--2011.html

The united states; Washington, Colarado, California have all legalized and regulated cannabis. It has been legalized in some parts of Europe very recently including the Netherlands, Uruguay and very soon to be Germany. When will UK officials examine the medical facts, that cannabis is by far the safest psychoactive popular drug, causes very few if any deaths a year, and is simply a complete cash cow for gangsters and criminals. Every bag of weed goes towards funding crime, the cannabis use isn't stopping despite it's class rating going up, and people are being convicted, demonized and persecuted for what they choose to, from their rational decision consume..

To put it objectively... I risk being restrained, put into a metal cage, transported to a larger metal case and probably given some kind of warning or minor fine for choosing to consume a plant which I know is not bad for me, yet I am actively encouraged to partake in drinking alcohol, a drug which you can overdose on, you can never overdose on weed it is physically impossible to die from using the drug.

I'm not trying to demonize alcohol, I personally believe making things illegal simply doesn't work, my intention is not to demonize alcohol or drinkers but to use alcohol to highlight a staggering hypocrisy in our society.

I am a 20 year old male, I am in very good health. I do not drink alcohol, partially because I do not like the feeling but mostly because I do not want to damage my health

I do however smoke cannabis, and have for many years with no ill consequence. I have gone through phases of smoking copious amounts of cannabis... there has been no ill effect whatsoever. I study computer science at a redbrick university, I have obtained predicted grades of a first, I have developed software and know 6 computer programming languages.

However I am plagued by a problem. My peers look down on me for smoking weed. They see it as a "drug", and have no problem demonizing my cannabis use whilst holding a drink in hand, they claim it destroys braincells and your body.

The irrefutable truth however is that cannabis does not destroy braincells and that it doesn't destroy anything, it scientifically works by binding to specific receptors in the brain and STIMULATING them, this is how the high is achieved, and why no high person would ever do some of the reckless and self-destructive things people do on drugs like alcohol, this is simply because when you're stoned you are still fully conscious, at all times.

Nobody who smokes cannabis will be violent, yet how many fights do we witness in clubs, at least one every night at the hands of people who became violent from their alcohol use.

How many times do we witness people crying on the streets, screams + shouting yet with cannabis use there is none of this, whatsoever. All you'd find if people smoked on a night out is that kebab shops would be full.

True.

People have been brainwashed into thinking that all drugs are bad. I remember through secondary school, we used to these tapes informing us of the dangers of drugs.

BAH.
Cannabis is a gateway drug that tends to lead to bigger problems.

I've yet to meet a stoner who I'd trust with a sharp pair of scissors.

You're going through a phase in life where you think you know everything.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Another comparison would be cannabis vs tobacco. Tobacco kills, but if you want to smoke, that's all you get in a shop now.
Reply 5
Original post by MatureStudent36

You're going through a phase in life where you think you know everything. One day you'll grow up and you'll realise that you were being a tw@t

Why do you think cannabis is a gateway drug? What makes it any more a gateway drug than alcohol or tobacco? The only thing I can think of is that it's illegal.

I do agree that it is a gateway drug to some extent. I think it's fairly common for people to get addicted to tobacco from smoking it together with cannabis.
Reply 6
Please write out by hand 100 times

it's = it is
Reply 7
The problem with marijuana culture/legalisation is that it inevitably leads to addiction. There''s no getting around that.

It increases heart-attack risks, affects judgment and motor ability, and is particularly brutal on cognitive abilities such as memory and learning when used over a long period of time.
Reply 8
It is beginning to. Washington, Colorado, and Uruguay are the beginning.
I am somewhat sceptical how much of a deterrent cannabis being illegal is. In my university some many people use it reguarly who obviously know it is illegal.

Not sure what it is like across the country but from what I have seen it being illegal doesn't deter people from using it really.
Legalising may well give the wrong message though-that it is now OK to smoke. Kind of against all the anti-smoking campaigns, etc though.
Reply 10

You're going through a phase in life where you think you know everything.

Weed is not a gateway drug, alcohol is far more of one than weed. You don't get high and think smoking crack will be a good idea but when you're drunk it might not seem too stupid.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Mackay
The problem with marijuana culture/legalisation is that it inevitably leads to addiction. There''s no getting around that.

It increases heart-attack risks, affects judgment and motor ability, and is particularly brutal on cognitive abilities such as memory and learning when used over a long period of time.

What?

Can somebody tell me why weed is illegal is alcohol is legal?
Reply 12
Nah just illegalise alcohol and cigarettes, whilst keeping all other illegalised drugs illegalised.
People will get hold of weed whether it's legal or not. Legalise it, regulate it and tax it.
Original post by TurboCretin
People will get hold of weed whether it's legal or not. Legalise it, regulate it and tax it.

I don't want my drugs taxed :huff:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15

You're going through a phase in life where you think you know everything. One day you'll grow up and you'll realise that you were being a tw@t

Congratulations, your ignorance has landed you in the category of people whom i completely, utterly and thoroughly despise.

You regurgitate what you have been told by the media, and mock those of us like we are children, you are the real fool here.

Do you know how many extremely successful people smoke cannabis? you're attempting to marginalize them all as idiots, I bet you're one of those suckers who has a "bad trip" when they smoke because they cannot handle having their perception expanded beyond it's narrow, ego-driven state.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Weed is a lot of fun, I'd love it to be legal :smile:
It reduces crime and boosts the sale of Pringles, whats not to love?
Reply 17
Original post by Mackay

Okay, counter-argument. Bend over and prepare yourself for the huge cock of reason, the reality smackdown has commenced...

ALCOHOL: Long term effects; EVERYTHING you've stated cannabis does, not only does alcohol do to a much greater extent but ALSO to name a few little treats that are medically proven alcohol consumption causes over long periods of time: kidney failure, High blood pressure, stroke, and other heart-related diseases , Liver disease, Nerve damage , Sexual problems, Permanent damage to the brain (retardation)

Sorry to BUST your bubble, but the drug proliferated by universities all over the country is ****ED mate, it is dangerous as hell and it's sold to you as soda pop. Learn your facts before you attempt to proliferate bull****. you argument is invalid, there is no evidence, not once single case where weed has caused a heart attack, give me a reference of a name of a single human being who has had a heart attack on weed, it DOESNT happen.
Cannabis use decreases your IQ over time with prolonged use.

Cannabis also makes you 13 times more likely to suffer a mental health condition than a non-cannabis smoker.

There are way more points but to summarise....

Cannabis should not be legalised in the UK.

When it comes to drugs policy, an evidence based approach is not very popular with the government. They prefer the more crude anecdotal and stereotypical approach that you adopt. Which is why the police and courts have to waste lots of time busting people for minor possession charges and why big criminal gangs are making a killing from what should be a legal or decriminalised taxable drug.

I say this as a grown up and a none smoker (before you assume that I am neither).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending