The Student Room Group

The best A-levels to take for a Physics degree

Scroll to see replies

Original post by birdy pie 111
Thank you so much! The links have been extremely helpful! :smile: Cambridge is the university I am leaning towards the most, so I think I will go with Further Maths. :smile: Do you think it would be worth substituting History with Chemistry so I could have both Chemistry and Further Maths for the NatSci course?? :smile:

Honestly it's not really worth doing Chemistry A Level just to pick it as an option for Nat Sci if you don't wish to continue it onwards. You could always choose two from Computer Science, Earth Science, Material Science etc... in the first year alongside the compulsory Maths and Physics, and just continue with Physics in the second onwards.

The question you should be asking is would you want to study Chemistry further? I.e. undergrad level, if not then History A Level would be the better choice.
Check their websites and see if they've listed specified subjects
Definitely do Further Maths and Chemistry rather than History - for both Oxford and Cambridge. Neither cares much about being a 'well-rounded' applicant by doing an essay subject, that's just a complete myth.
Also, it is possible that you may change your interests as you study your A levels - I went from thinking of doing Maths as a degree to picking NatSci and so it was lucky I had picked Chemistry A level or I would have had very limited choice in my first year modules. Picking sensible subjects which link together well and keep your options open is a very good idea - with just maths and physics (+ history) you would be limiting yourself only to the physical sciences and finance/ economics related subjects, whereas Chemistry opens up pretty much all science degrees :smile:
Reply 23
Further Maths. Definitely Further maths. Not only is it favoured, but it is also very helpful in your physics course; general calculus and especially the mechanics modules. Also, if you apply to Oxford, you will have to do an entrance exam, further maths will also help you with that.
Take it from a person who is doing Further Maths, Maths, Physics and History. If you are are capable enough to do it, you won;t regret taking further maths as an option.
Reply 24
I would suggest definitely further maths but if you enjoy history go for that. Yes it limits you if you want do natural sciences at Cambridge but their are lots of other modules that are available. Personally I prefer Oxford as it is purely Physics but depend on the modules you prefer. I would look at their websites and look at the modules and the research groups they are involved in as you are more likely to specialize or be working alongside those areas. This also goes for any uni you apply for really.

What you have to consider is do you enjoy chemistry enjoy to do it for two years and realistically what sort of grade are you going to get in it compared to History. As it is a four subject you really need to enjoy it as the other 3 are the important ones. I do Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Economics and am so glad I didn't take Chemistry instead of Economics as sometimes you can have to much maths and science. But most days you'll love it! :biggrin:
I am definitely interested in History, and my History teacher makes a habit of constantly telling me there are many transferable skills that can be applied to Physics. :tongue: I'm just unsure whether a fourth contrasting subject (to show I have a wide range of ability) or a fourth science subject would make me a more competitive applicant. :confused:

The fourth science would unquestionably make for a better application.
Maths, Physics and FM, definitely. Chemistry and Computing are good subjects for a fourth, but if you're set on History, do it. That humanity will make you an interesting applicant, if not necessarily a better one. (Coming from someone who's doing sciences and humanities).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Maths, Further Maths, Physics + Take your pick of another academic subject. History's quite cool, although most people tend to chose chemistry or computing. Doesn't really matter if you have maths, further maths and physics
Reply 28
Apart from medicine and dentistry, showing a 'broad set of subjects' doesn't matter at all. If you're applying for physics, they really don't care how good you are at history. This is just for your own benefit, as you said, to retain you writing skills.
Original post by ermm
Apart from medicine and dentistry, showing a 'broad set of subjects' doesn't matter at all. If you're applying for physics, they really don't care how good you are at history. This is just for your own benefit, as you said, to retain you writing skills.

I don't think it matters for med/dentistry either tbh.
Reply 30
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't think it matters for med/dentistry either tbh.

Yhhhh same, although people like believing so and I don't want to start a TSR riot :P
(edited 10 years ago)
I am definitely interested in History, and my History teacher makes a habit of constantly telling me there are many transferable skills that can be applied to Physics. :tongue: I'm just unsure whether a fourth contrasting subject (to show I have a wide range of ability) or a fourth science subject would make me a more competitive applicant. :confused:

Further Maths definitely. Having just gone through a physics application process, I can tell you universities are looking for how good your physics and mathematical ability is. I would also recommend swapping History for Chemistry, but this is not necessary. I think you'll find that parts of the chemistry course do have very interesting overlaps with physics!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending