The Student Room Group

A surgeon branded his initials onto a patients liver.

Like WTF :s-smilie:

Discuss

A doctor has been suspended over allegations he "branded" his initials on to a patient's liver.
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust confirmed it is investigating the claims made against a surgeon at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham.
The letters were reportedly found by a colleague during a routine operation.
The trust said the surgeon had been suspended until an internal investigation is completed.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-25508672

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolRunner
Discuss

It satisfies my slightly morbid sense of humour.
I just don't get what on earth he did it for :/

I now have a fear of undergoing any surgery :P never know what kind of surgeon you're going to get :O
Reply 3
"An internal investigation."

Well that sounds pleasant.
Reply 4
he did for the bantz

dont hate
I am in stitches over this.
That's disgusting!!
He will never liver normal life again
Reply 8

Selfies. Surgeons took it to another level.
Reply 9
Just heard the news on BBC... was pretty surprised someone would do that... then again they are surgeons, like superheros of the real life saving lives so why should they leave their initials??----> (it's a joke.. serves him right to be suspended)
Reply 10
LOL I hope it ended in "....WAZ HERE"
Reply 11
I've heard of something similar to this before. I think it was the surgeon branding his initials onto the kidney. Maybe the surgeon was some sort of narcissist.
Reply 12
Original post by bluemax
I've heard of something similar to this before. I think it was the surgeon branding his initials onto the kidney. Maybe the surgeon was some sort of narcissist.

a surgeon with a huge ego? that might be crazy enough to be true!
Reply 13
Original post by bluemax

Or he thought he was some kind of God or artist.This partly explains why he's mistaken his patient's liver for an autograph book! What a childish and arrogant attitude for a 'surgeon'. I'm glad that dude was suspended!
What a strange person :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
He should be stripped of his rights to practice medicine and given a lengthy jail sentence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Seems unlikely but pretty outrageous if true. Most operations involve one if not two surgical assistants plus a scrub nurse and it would be surprising if none of these noticed/complained. I'm also not sure how you would go about inscribing a liver in such a way that it would still be visible some time later. Odd story with facts awaited.
Reply 17
Original post by Masafi
Seems unlikely but pretty outrageous if true. Most operations involve one if not two surgical assistants plus a scrub nurse and it would be surprising if none of these noticed/complained. I'm also not sure how you would go about inscribing a liver in such a way that it would still be visible some time later. Odd story with facts awaited.

Dude your name is masafi :biggrin:
Honestly, as long as he did a good solid job and it doesn't impact my health, if he wants to leave his initials go for it?

But I guess it is sort of unprofessional.
These are currently just unproven allegations. I don't really like the fact that the thread title is assuming he's already guilty...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending