The Student Room Group

Alan Turing gets royal pardon for 'gross indecency'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 419
Ermmmmm the queen decides this? Thought she was powerless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As with other powers the queen has she does what is asked by the government.
Reply 21
Original post by limetang
So why do it? By doing this what we are actually saying is that he deserved a pardon for the crime, not because it never should have been a crime but because he is a 'national hero', and I'm sorry but that is plain wrong.

Although you and I both know that's not what's going on here. It's an illogical combination of the two. It's happened partly because it shouldn't have been a crime at all, and partly because he's a national hero. Which is still a horrific message, because what it then implies is that this is only really an atrocity because it was done to such a great man. It's not really that much of an injustice to everyone else.

Well, your argument here is with whether pardons should exist at all, which is valid enough (although I don't agree), because that is basically what a pardon is. Let's face it, whilst homosexuality should never have been a crime, when it was, Turing was indeed 'guilty' of it. I mean, murderers who have been found guilty get pardons.
Reply 22
Original post by Aj12
As with other powers the queen has she does what is asked by the government.

Ok now, my apprehension has been placated in the most inconsequential minutiae amount. An elected government shouldn't have to ask anyone to do something except its electorates and that like never happens. But this woman gets to be asked. What if she refuses?

God save our gracious queen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Captain Haddock
Great, but why just him?

That's essentially my view - It was wrong he was criminalised for his sexuality, it was wrong he wasn't pardoned in his lifetime, but now that he's dead what difference does it make? And doesn't it open the door for pardons for every other homosexual ever convicted? Or do we not pardon them because they didn't serve the nation as he did? It's a can of worms I think, and they've just opened it.

The best way forward I would've thought would have been to simply leave it, but learn from it - that our attitudes as a society towards homosexuality were wrong, and though we can't change the past, to use that knowledge to ensure our future is a better one.
Original post by 419

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think she does have some powers but they are rarely used.
Reply 25
Original post by 419
Ok now, my apprehension has been placated in the most inconsequential minutiae amount. An elected government shouldn't have to ask anyone to do something except its electorates and that like never happens. But this woman gets to be asked. What if she refuses?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to understand they're not really 'her' powers, they are the crown's powers. She is the symbol of 'the crown', but really it's an entity that is controlled by the government. All she really has to do is give advice and rubber stamp it. Even if she refuses to sign a bill, it's not really her that's refusing, it's the elected ministers of the government that really make the decision.

Realistically, she isn't personally going to refuse something because she personally doesn't like it. If she tries, then I'll become a republican :tongue:
Reply 26
Original post by Psyk
You have to understand they're not really 'her' powers, they are the crown's powers. She is the symbol of 'the crown', but really it's an entity that is controlled by the government. All she really has to do is give advice and rubber stamp it. Even if she refuses to sign a bill, it's not really her that's refusing, it's the elected ministers of the government that really make the decision.

Realistically, she isn't personally going to refuse something because she personally doesn't like it. If she tries, then I'll become a republican :tongue:

I understand the point that in reality she wouldn't blah blah blah.

But the fact that it could happen is what scares me. How are we to know if she hasn't refused or acted against the government before?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by 419
I understand the point that in reality she wouldn't blah blah blah.

But the fact that it could happen is what scares me. How are we to know if she hasn't refused or acted against the government before?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If she did, why would the government keep it secret? If they didn't support her actions then it would be in their interest to make it public.
Reply 28
Original post by Psyk
If she did, why would the government keep it secret? If they didn't support her actions then it would be in their interest to make it public.

Don't be naive. There's a lot if decision made it things going on behind closed doors. Government only care about staying in power and not fighting a very popular monarch is enough motivation to keep shut.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"He poisoned himself" total BS, he was murdered
Reply 30
Original post by 419

Posted from TSR Mobile

Won't happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 419

I think the point is back in a time when the monarchy had far more power she may have exercised the right to refuse. Now its just tradition and ceremony, just like how all our Armed forces swear allegiance to the Monarchy. She is for all purposes powerless, and if she ever did exercise her authority it would not only be removed but the requirement for her position and ownership of Royal assets would be drawn into question. Not only would she know she couldn't but for her own purposes she had every reason to ensure the status quo is maintained. Its not something that should worry you or anyone else because it will not happen, the fact its such a pointless ceremonial affair is exactly what allows its continued existence.

The Royal family exercise subversive power in many other ways though, so not all is good.
Reply 32
The subjective moral acceptances of society at work.
Reply 33
Original post by Fizzel
Although the sentiment is correct its wrong. First of all, its a pardon not an apology. Second of all, the only reason he's been pardoned it because of his fame and acclaim for doing his job. He didn't need a pardon because he didn't do anything wrong, he was wrong uto be punished and hence should have received an apology, and that logic still applies to people who weren't excellent mathematicians.

This basically, pardons have nothing to do with innocence a pardon ia simply being excused from liability for a crime. Even Blackbeard was pardoned and he was very clearly a murderous armed robber.
Reply 34
Record time in to say "sorry"
Reply 35
Original post by 419

Posted from TSR Mobile

Queen does what she is told lest she be removed for betraying the state in favour of her own interests.
Reply 36
Original post by Habsburg
Well, your argument here is with whether pardons should exist at all, which is valid enough (although I don't agree), because that is basically what a pardon is. Let's face it, whilst homosexuality should never have been a crime, when it was, Turing was indeed 'guilty' of it. I mean, murderers who have been found guilty get pardons.

Oh absolutely. But I maintain that we have to ask what it is we're actually saying with this pardon. And what we are saying is simply this. Yes this law was wrong, but it's more wrong that it happened to somebody who was of immense value to the nation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending