The Student Room Group

Launch and gear changes - turbodiesel Passat

If I want to accelerate as quickly as possible, should I turn my traction control off, find the bite and mash the accelerator into the floor? Only I tried this today but the wheels just span and I didn't move off as fast as I could have I feel. Less gas, or switch the TC off ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ESP off, rev between 2-3k, then dump the clutch as quick as you can.
Original post by The Jargen
ESP off, rev between 2-3k, then dump the clutch as quick as you can.

Why 2 to 3 k specifcly?
Reply 3
To build enough power and torque to allow for a greater acceleration. Also general rule of thumb is about 50% of the engine range.
(edited 10 years ago)
To build enough power and torque to allow for a greater acceleration. Also general rule of thumb is about 50% of the engine range.

Thanks. I only ask because the mighty Passat got pasted by some boy racer in a 1999 Focus painted to look like a rally car today :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by traintracks1995
Thanks. I only ask because the mighty Passat got pasted by some boy racer in a 1999 Focus painted to look like a rally car today :frown:

maybe it was an rs.
lol I knew this would be you. For quick starts you want to minimise wheelspin, it just wastes power. Get it rolling as quick as possible and learn to balance the throttle between maximum accel and minimum wheelspin. I do lol at your threads, hope to meet you at the lights someday.
maybe it was an rs.
I'm assuming it was the 170 bhp in order to defeat me

Original post by Extremotroph
lol I knew this would be you. For quick starts you want to minimise wheelspin, it just wastes power. Get it rolling as quick as possible and learn to balance the throttle between maximum accel and minimum wheelspin. I do lol at your threads, hope to meet you at the lights someday.

You do tend to state the obvious there. For quick starts you want to minimise wheelspin - no **** ?
Reply 8
This thread is a joke right?

Yeah, this thread is a joke.
Reply 9

Get the car remapped the passat B5 is capable of reaching 190bhp and 401nm.

You do tend to state the obvious there. For quick starts you want to minimise wheelspin - no **** ?

Hey man it's Christmas, no need to break my balls.
Get the car remapped the passat B5 is capable of reaching 190bhp and 401nm.

I'm planning a stage 1 remap. Takes it to 180 bhp. Stage 2 is 192 bhp but needs a new clutch for that
Reply 12
Your Passat is not a fast car for gods sake!

0-60 mph
9.5 secs is slow!!! (if you exclude most small hatchbacks which are usually 0-60 in 12-16 seconds)
Original post by Camoxide
Your Passat is not a fast car for gods sake!

0-60 mph
9.5 secs is slow!!! (if you exclude most small hatchbacks which are usually 0-60 in 12-16 seconds)

The majority of the cars on the road are slower than mine to 60 mph. Granted it's no Ferraris, but slow ? No sir, it's not slow.
Reply 14
The majority of the cars on the road are slower than mine to 60 mph. Granted it's no Ferraris, but slow ? No sir, it's not slow.

My ZR is almost the same to 60 and it's only a 1.4...
OP, I'd love to rip you up at a set of lights one day, you wheel-spinning-diesel-driving-noob.

Best launch is as little wheelspin as possible without bogging down.
You got a banged up Passat? With the amount of threads you make about it you would think its a good car.
Reply 19
With a torquey TDI you don't want to rev it and dump the clutch, it'll just spin the tyres out. You're best off revving to about 1500rpm and lifting the clutch rapidly, but not dumping it. This'll roll on the power before your torque curve peaks and you shouldn't spin the tyres too much. The ****ty tyres on my Golf mean that you just have to breath on the throttle pedal and it'll spin one of the fronts - looking forward to getting some decent tyres put on.

Quick Reply

Latest