The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No - there are so many text books out there, that it really is a personal choice. I'd hate to give you a list of the titles I like, only for you to spend a small fortune, and hate them.

Wait until you start and go to the library and see which you like. They all tend to cover the same material, but the presentation can be very, very different.
Reply 2
soonalvin
Could a current Medic make some recommendations for essential texts for medical school? Thank you!
An internet connection ought to do it.

Don't worry about it until you get there.
Reply 3
Can anyone reccommend any interesting scientific/medical books to read over the summer before I start uni? I know, enjoy the summer and all that, but I'm worried my brain will dry up and frazzle in this heat and I want something vaguely 'educational' to read to keep it alive.

I've read (and lost patience with in Dawkin's case) several of Richard Dawkins' books, 'Genome' by Matt Ridley, and a few others of a similar genre. Any other suggestions, either scientific or (even tangently) connected to medicine?
Reply 4
Meh... no hope.

(Do these kind of people have any idea how much they piss people off?)
Reply 5
Renal
An internet connection ought to do it.

Don't worry about it until you get there.

i know which texts are available, just that which are the more popular ones.

Like for anatomy, I am having a hard time choosing between Snell, Moore and Gray's (for Students, not the Granddaddy version).

For physiology, Ganong, Berne & Levy and Guyton & Hall.

Biochem, Marks Marks & Smith vs. Devlin
Reply 6
There are far better books out there (IMHO) that those you've listed, which again re-inforces my view point given earlier... Wait until you start and use library copies until you decide which ones you would like to invest in.

You may even find that your library is so well equipt that you don't need to purchase anything...
Reply 7
soonalvin
i know which texts are available, just that which are the more popular ones.

Like for anatomy, I am having a hard time choosing between Snell, Moore and Gray's (for Students, not the Granddaddy version).

For physiology, Ganong, Berne & Levy and Guyton & Hall.

Biochem, Marks Marks & Smith vs. Devlin
**** popular. Which do you find easiest to learn from? Which most suits your way of learning? Which best suits your course?
Reply 8
Anyone from Kings here? What is the first topic on the course, so i can look it up and read up on it (provided i get the grades of course).
Reply 9
Renal
Meh... no hope.

(Do these kind of people have any idea how much they piss people off?)

Dont really care to be honest, just want to read up on stuff - interested thats all.
Reply 10
Madprof
Can anyone reccommend any interesting scientific/medical books to read over the summer before I start uni? I know, enjoy the summer and all that, but I'm worried my brain will dry up and frazzle in this heat and I want something vaguely 'educational' to read to keep it alive.

I've read (and lost patience with in Dawkin's case) several of Richard Dawkins' books, 'Genome' by Matt Ridley, and a few others of a similar genre. Any other suggestions, either scientific or (even tangently) connected to medicine?

Dawkins does that to me too :confused: he's brilliant though. Try 'The Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine' by James Le Fanu if you like, I read it in the run up to interviews and found it very interesting. Personally speaking I'm not in the right frame of mind to read too much this summer, the fretting over results is really getting to me...
Reply 11
If you wanna be a doc - then get yourself a copy of 'Bedtime Stories' by Micheal Foxton.

If you like a science yarn based on research, Bryan Sykes' books are good...
Reply 12
Cheers guys! Some good reading material for when work's slow (I love my job!)

Yeah, Dawkins is a very intelligent guy, but he can be a bit closed-minded - is rather frustrating sometimes! But now is not the time for that debate...

Thanks Fluffy - 'Bedtime Stories' sounds good, think I'd vaguely heard of it before, seems to ring a bell. If it's a similar kind of thing to 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat', I'm interested!
Bodies by Jed Mercurio and House of God by Samuel Shem are good as in being fiction I can feel like I'm learning and yet it's all very light. I like The Human Mind by Robert Winston because it's also quite light (filled with anecdotes) and yet informative - but not too much that you couldn't sit and read it in the sun.

I picked up James Le Fanu yesterday (by sheer coincidence), and am pleased to see the recommendation.
Reply 14
If you really wanted to keep your brain awake you could have come over to charterhouse and listened to six hours of the most ****ing boring lectures on pharamacogenetics.

(As Fluff will point out, I'll go to lectures when I'm paid to!)
Reply 15
Pssshhh, its way to nice outside to read.
Reply 16
Hmmm... how's about reading outside? :wink:

(tho have to admit on such a beautiful day nothing beats jogging through the fields by my house with the Zutons on mp3)
Reply 17
I've heard the books at medical school can be very expensive. I know they'll vary in price greatly... but how much are we actually talking? Or give examples of how much you had to spend..
Reply 18
I bought my books in Singapore (which I heard is greatly cheaper than in Britain, so go figure. Exchange rate 1 pound = $3 Singapore dollars)

Weather's Functional Histology $41.40
McMinn's Color Atlas of Human Anatomy $55.70
Snell's Clinical Anatomy $54
Guyton's Textbook of Medical Physiology $86
Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews Biochemistry $35
Ganong's Review of Medical Physiology (Lange Series) $42
Reply 19
Lets hope you like them then. Buying books you don't need is a waste of money, no matter how favourable the exchange rate is.

Personally I do bits and peices for publishing houses in return for either cash or more usually text books (as you get about twice the cash value). I've only bought one book in two years, and I have lots :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Now that is a bargain!

Latest

Trending

Trending