The Student Room Group

Can someone please give me a simple explanation of the card system?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Precious Illusions
You're still not awesome :colonhash:

Because I don't like a certain user?
Original post by Maid Marian
What's the reference? :redface:

Jay Z and Kanye West - "paris" or Blades of Glory.
I shall not mention the full name of the song.
Reply 41
Original post by tehforum
Because I don't like a certain user?

Jay Z and Kanye West - "paris" or Blades of Glory.
I shall not mention the full name of the song.

Wait wat. Oh lmao. Nah, I was joking. :tongue:
Original post by Padwas
can arguing with a troll result in a card even if the troll is banned

That would depend on what you say exactly. A rule-breaking post does not somehow become acceptable just because the person it's directed at happens to be banned. Their status does not affect the rules.

But my rule breaking is so minor and undeserving of such punishment :sadnod: :bawling:
Plz don't ruin my Christmas :bawling:

Minor rule-breaking... is rule-breaking :wink:

How old from the time of reporting?

Time of reporting is irrelevant for giving warnings - we're interested in the time the post was made.

Obvious follow up question: "How long after a post is made will you no longer warn for it". Can't really say :ninja:

Original post by Henry_Tudor
2 Issues with the TSR

1) We should be able to talk about why we are banned/received cards-this will prevent other users falling into the traps for getting a blue card for something they didn't think they get a card for.
2) The inbox looks very old and needs a revamp +When you get a 'letter' the letter is opened and when you have read it it is then closed? Surely when you received a letter it should be closed and then when you look at the message the letter should then be 'open'

This is what an unopened message should look like-
This is what a read message should not like-

Not the other way around it's illogical!?! :smile:

Does anyone agree????

Why did they get rid of the points system? This card malarkey is just baffling.

1. Disagreed. Rule-breaking posts by their nature have to be removed from the site. Obviously this somewhat complicates the process of people holding an informed debate about a post people cannot see.

2. Well that's somewhat off-topic :tongue: Feel free to make a new thread for it though :yep:
Reply 43
Original post by Potally_Tissed
That would depend on what you say exactly. A rule-breaking post does not somehow become acceptable just because the person it's directed at happens to be banned. Their status does not affect the rules.

Time of reporting is irrelevant for giving warnings - we're interested in the time the post was made.

Obvious follow up question: "How long after a post is made will you no longer warn for it". Can't really say :ninja:

1. Disagreed. Rule-breaking posts by their nature have to be removed from the site. Obviously this somewhat complicates the process of people holding an informed debate about a post people cannot see.

2. Well that's somewhat off-topic :tongue: Feel free to make a new thread for it though :yep:

Why can't you say?

This is like an autocratic regime.

I have made a new thread in the 'Feedback' thingy

I would also like you opinion on my second point
Original post by Autistic Merit
So you keep saying. :biggrin:

To be honest, I'm the same. I fell into a rut of exclusions for various offences (all of which, in hindsight, were deserved) but have now gone through a period when I've been posting more often than before but without the sanctions.

Exactly, feels good to know that I'm not in the firing line for being permanently banned on here. The only forums I have a genuine interest in posting, are the Chat, Motorsport, Uni life, Pharmacy and A-level thread. I used to post alot in the H&R thread, but I'm on strike 2/3, therefore I rarely post there.

Always when I see a troll thread in H&R, I'm tempted to write something, but I always get the thought of 'James, don't do itttt'. :biggrin:
Why can't you say?

We don't tend to go into specifics about policies like that. I'm not really sure what good would come of telling the whole site how long they need to get away with breaking the rules for before it becomes sufficiently old that we'll overlook it.

You mean one person has all the power? I'm sure there's better types of regime you could compare us to.
I have made a new thread in the 'Feedback' thingy

I would also like you opinion on my second point

I'm happy with the functionality of the inbox and am not overly fussed about what exactly the icons look like :dontknow:

But if I poke some gently in RL 10 times or so, that doesn't become equivalent to a full on punch on the 10th time, does it? :erm:
A punch would put you in jail (a ban) but lots of poking wouldn't. So why do lots of minor offences = a ban (jail) on here? :cry2:
Reply 49
We don't tend to go into specifics about policies like that. I'm not really sure what good would come of telling the whole site how long they need to get away with breaking the rules for before it becomes sufficiently old that we'll overlook it.

You mean one person has all the power? I'm sure there's better types of regime you could compare us to.

No.

The only effect that comes out of you telling us, the users, of when the time runs past the specified time is to make sure that people aren't reporting old posts for no reason. Rather, this rule does not tell us when potential rule breaking is potentially warn worthy. If one is reported for an old post, one can safely say that the rule breaking was simply not odious enough, or picked up at the time of posting, and the proceeding few hours.
Why can't you say?

Well, nothing that contravenes the rules:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq.php?faq=rules

Consider us to be the "police" of the site if you will :smile:
But if I poke some gently in RL 10 times or so, that doesn't become equivalent to a full on punch on the 10th time, does it? :erm:
A punch would put you in jail (a ban) but lots of poking wouldn't. So why do lots of minor offences = a ban (jail) on here? :cry2:

If you poke someone nine times and after each time they politely ask you not to poke them again, on the 10th time would you expect them to continue ask politely, or would you be more likely to be told to **** off already?
If you poke someone nine times and after each time they politely ask you not to poke them again, on the 10th time would you expect them to continue ask politely, or would you be more likely to be told to **** off already?

Oh :cry2: Are the mods really telling me to "**** off" then? :cry2: :getmecoat: I feel desperately unwanted ...

Its like a driving test so many 'minors' equates to a 'major'.
No.

The only effect that comes out of you telling us, the users, of when the time runs past the specified time is to make sure that people aren't reporting old posts for no reason. Rather, this rule does not tell us when potential rule breaking is potentially warn worthy. If one is reported for an old post, one can safely say that the rule breaking was simply not odious enough, or picked up at the time of posting, and the proceeding few hours.

There is a reason regardless of warnings. The point is to remove rule-breaking posts from the site. That still stands regardless of how old the post is; warnings (or lack thereof) are totally irrelevant to anyone except the user in question and the mod team.

If someone reported an overlooked rule-breaking post you made last year it would still be removed, but you wouldn't be warned, as it simply wouldn't be reasonable to do so after so much time has passed.
Oh :cry2: Are the mods really telling me to "**** off" then? :cry2: :getmecoat: I feel desperately unwanted ...

Not at all, I was borrowing your analogy :wink:
Its like a driving test so many 'minors' equates to a 'major'.

Oh :frown: I've never had a driving test so I wouldn't know ...
Reply 57
There is a reason regardless of warnings. The point is to remove rule-breaking posts from the site. That still stands regardless of how old the post is; warnings (or lack thereof) are totally irrelevant to anyone except the user in question and the mod team.

If someone reported an overlooked rule-breaking post you made last year it would still be removed, but you wouldn't be warned, as it simply wouldn't be reasonable to do so after so much time has passed.

"liability in an indeterminate amount for an indeterminate time to an indeterminate class.".

It is arbitrary when the moderator may feel like warning one for an old post.

Your reason of 'informing users when their 'rule breaking' conduct is non warnable is just weak, and slender in its justification. How does that override my concerns?
Not at all, I was borrowing your analogy :wink:

Oh :redface:

But still, a yellow card basically means "**** off" then ... :s-smilie: :frown:
No one knows how the card system works, but it's provocative. It gets the people going.

LOL, nice Blades of Glory reference :tongue: (I got it from the Kanye West song though :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending