The Student Room Group

weight loss tips

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lapis_Lazuli
No am not. But am sorry if what i said sounds like am trolling. Didn't mean it that way.

Another tip, starving yourself to loose weight is equivalent to gaining weight. Why? When you starve yourself, your body depends on stored fat. Whenever you eat your body stores more fat that it'll usually do because it thinks there is not enough food to go. Also, if you starve yourself you'll suffer from hunger attacks and when you eat it'll end up being gigantic.

what the hell is wrong with you
Original post by RollerBall
He never disputed drinking water for general health. He never condemned it either.

You claimed it helps with weight loss (which is *******s). Just because my car is really good at being a car doesn't mean it also makes a great plane. This is your argument. This is why you look stupid. Pls go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

. I never claimed to be some sort of a bluddy personal trainer, it's just something iv'e read on the internet. Apparantley you can gain weight through dehydration because it slows down the fat burning proccess. That's what I have read, no need to have a b*tch fit about it. Spread your magic to someone who cares please.
(edited 10 years ago)
Okay, you're trolling.

Okay, you have to tell me what you mean by trolling because it seems our definitions differ.
Original post by ilikesweets
I never claimed to be some sort of a bluddy personal trainer, it's just something iv'e read on the internet. Apparantley you can gain weight through dehydration because it slows down the fat burning proccess. That's what I have read, no need to have a b*tch fit about it. Spread your magic to someone who cares please.

Oh, I see. So you know you're uninformed, you know you don't actually have an understanding other than ahat you've read in questionable sources.

Yet, here you stand, arguing a point you know nothing about other than what somebody told you. That's as well as straw manning him with bull**** arguments.

Top tip man, if you don't know anything then keep quiet or at least admit it as soon as somebody calls you out rather than debating it. Now you just look like a tool who genuinely beleives water will help you lose weight. This makes you look like a total clown to anybody who knows anything about nutrition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lapis_Lazuli

Okay, you're trolling.

Okay, you have to tell me what you mean by trolling because it seems our definitions differ.

What you've posted is SO incorrect I would rather believe you were trolling than genuinely that stupid.

It's like, if I was adamant the world was flat you'd give me the same remark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Oh, I see. So you know you're uninformed, you know you don't actually have an understanding other than ahat you've read in questionable sources.

Yet, here you stand, arguing a point you know nothing about other than what somebody told you. That's as well as straw manning him with bull**** arguments.

Top tip man, if you don't know anything then keep quiet or at least admit it as soon as somebody calls you out rather than debating it. Now you just look like a tool who genuinely beleives water will help you lose weight. This makes you look like a total clown to anybody who knows anything about nutrition.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Incase you haven't noticed, this website is about sharing your opinions and your thoughts about a topic. It isn't a website full of facts, evidently. The tip i shared was to drink lots of water which you seem to be very offended by since you can't seem to get your head around the fact that not everyone knows everything about weightloss, unlike you.
I happened to get my tip from the internet, if you have a problem with that then go sort it out. It's not your way or the high way mate.

I doubt iv'e made myself look like a clown to anyone who knows anything about nutrition because they would be doing something with their lives and knowledge, not cry over the fact that someone may have said something that may or not be true.

Now please, get over yourself because I don't actually care.
"hey we seem to be on the same wavelength, but how does drinking more water help weight loss? I've not heard any scientific rationale behind that idea but I'd love to be corrected :smile:"

Drinking water helps:

- Affect you pscyhologically. So you feel fuller for a shorter amount of time therefore consuming less food and subsequently less calories
- It is a good replacement for sugary drinks
- Drinking cold water helps speed up metabolism as the body burns fat to warm up the water inside you to match your internal thermostat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_loss_effects_of_water

Although it's not FULLY backed up by scientific research, the amount of information we have so far does indicate it helps to an extent. Regarding that drinking water has numerous other advantages too like keeping you hydrated, not harmful to drink more water :smile: What's more I certainly believe that it helps weight loss, at the very least it flushes harmful toxins from the body so you feel better hence doing more activities than normal!
Original post by HFerguson
But that's wrong - water has no impact on hunger, and the whole "mistaking thirst for hunger" is a myth - most people are able to discern between the two. Drinking cold water to lower your body temp in an attempt to burn more calories is incredibly ineffective - the difference it makes in calories burnt is truly negligible.

I just read your little argument with likesweets,

Just want to say...no matter whether drinking water helps weight loss or not, the amount of benefits you get from it is still worth drinking more water. And it if DOES help weight loss, it's a bonus! Even if it doesn't then the water is keeping you hydrated and healthy.
Incase you haven't noticed, this website is about sharing your opinions and your thoughts about a topic. It isn't a website full of facts, evidently. .

Weightloss is not a matter of opinion - WEIGHTLOSS IS BASIC SCIENCE.

I never claimed to be some sort of a bluddy personal trainer, it's just something iv'e read on the internet. Apparantley you can gain weight through dehydration because it slows down the fat burning proccess. That's what I have read, no need to have a b*tch fit about it. Spread your magic to someone who cares please.

That is one of the biggest nuggets of solid gold bull **** I have ever read. Dehydration slows down fat burning process? You do realise that lipolysis of adipose tissue RELEASES water and hydrates you, right?

NOw you may not care about what you post, but you are posting misinformation that may HARM other people in atttaining their goals.

Original post by LonelyPlanet
I just read your little argument with likesweets,

Just want to say...no matter whether drinking water helps weight loss or not, the amount of benefits you get from it is still worth drinking more water. And it if DOES help weight loss, it's a bonus! Even if it doesn't then the water is keeping you hydrated and healthy.

Dude, you're not getting it - I never said or implied that water didn't have benefits, I just said it doesn't make you lose weight. Big difference.
(edited 10 years ago)

doesn't make a difference - all scientific research has found that meal timing and frequency doesn't affect hunger or weight loss

Wrong.

All scientific research has shown that eating little and often keeps your metabolic rate at a high level for the whole day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just gotta say -

lol at people thinking water is a magical bullet supplement that makes you lose weight. "It has tons of benefits" as if, there are people that don't drink water and its worth supplementing?

You would die without water - it doesn't have "benefits", its ****ing essential to life.

The whole "water as health miracle" thing has been so over-touted, namely by womens mags be like "drink 8 glasses, so many benefits wow"as if it was magic water.

It's JUST water - hydration is fairly well regulated by the hypothalamus. If you don't get enough water, you would die, therefore the biological drive to drink (i.e, experiencing thirst) is pretty ****ing strong. IF you drink 8 glasses a day, you're going to piss 90% of it out. You get 2/3rds of your daily water needs through food. Drinking 8 glasses of water a day is incredibly unlikely to cure your acne and make your hair shiny.
Original post by goldenfish
Wrong.

All scientific research has shown that eating little and often keeps your metabolic rate at a high level for the whole day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok then, if that's so true, then post the journal articles of the studies proving this?
I just gotta say -

lol at people thinking water is a magical bullet supplement that makes you lose weight. "It has tons of benefits" as if, there are people that don't drink water and its worth supplementing?

You would die without water - it doesn't have "benefits", its ****ing essential to life.

The whole "water as health miracle" thing has been so over-touted, namely by womens mags be like "drink 8 glasses, so many benefits wow"as if it was magic water.

It's JUST water - hydration is fairly well regulated by the hypothalamus. If you don't get enough water, you would die, therefore the biological drive to drink (i.e, experiencing thirst) is pretty ****ing strong. IF you drink 8 glasses a day, you're going to piss 90% of it out. You get 2/3rds of your daily water needs through food. Drinking 8 glasses of water a day is incredibly unlikely to cure your acne and make your hair shiny.

It doesn't MAKE you lose weight, but it HELPS you lose weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe indirectly, because stretching your stomach (with water) releases satiation hormones like CCK.

If you were to do a study in which both groups ate the exact same thing, exact same caloric deficit, but one group drank enough water and the other group drank 8 glasses of water per day, there would likely be no significant difference between the two groups in terms of weight lost.
Maybe indirectly, because stretching your stomach (with water) releases satiation hormones like CCK.

If you were to do a study in which both groups ate the exact same thing, exact same caloric deficit, but one group drank enough water and the other group drank 8 glasses of water per day, there would likely be no significant difference between the two groups in terms of weight lost.

water acts as a natural appetite suppressant and can aid in weight loss. Water, which is calorie-free, facilitates the body’s metabolic systems and increases the metabolic rate, allowing the body to burn more calories in a shorter amount of time. Furthermore, studies have shown that thirst and hunger sensations are triggered together. As a result, when you are even slightly dehydrated, your body’s thirst mechanism can be mistaken for hunger and you may eat when your body actually needs a drink.

By cybex research institute.

Posted from TSR Mobile
water acts as a natural appetite suppressant and can aid in weight loss. Water, which is calorie-free, facilitates the body’s metabolic systems and increases the metabolic rate, allowing the body to burn more calories in a shorter amount of time. Furthermore, studies have shown that thirst and hunger sensations are triggered together. As a result, when you are even slightly dehydrated, your body’s thirst mechanism can be mistaken for hunger and you may eat when your body actually needs a drink.

By cybex research institute.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bit in bold is utter gobbledy-gook NONSENSE. Doesn't mean anything. Drinking cold water has NEGLIGIBLE effects on energy burnt by the body. Maybe 50 calories (not kilocalories, important differentiaton). It is quite literally a drop in an ocean. I have never heard that water is a natural appetite suppressant, I'd love to see some scientific evidence behind that statement.

You cannot just post "by cybex research institute" I'm going to need references to peer-reviewed journal article submissions - author names, journal names etc, issue and volume numbers dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only way I see drinking lots of water helping you lose weight is because the time you spend drinking all that water is time you can't spend eating cake.
Bit in bold is utter gobbledy-gook NONSENSE. Doesn't mean anything. Drinking cold water has NEGLIGIBLE effects on energy burnt by the body. Maybe 50 calories (not kilocalories, important differentiaton). It is quite literally a drop in an ocean. I have never heard that water is a natural appetite suppressant, I'd love to see some scientific evidence behind that statement.

You cannot just post "by cybex research institute" I'm going to need references to peer-reviewed journal article submissions - author names, journal names etc, issue and volume numbers dude.

You're tricking yourself into thinking that you know alot about this subject by saying big words. Lol.

one of many studies on the subject.

Scientists from Virginia found that slimmers can lose an average of 5lb extra if they drink two glasses of water three times a day before meals.

They tested the theory on 48 older adults, split into two groups, over 12 weeks.

While drinking water can make you feel full on zero calories, say researchers, too much water can also lead to serious health problems.

The researchers presented their findings at the National Meeting of the American Chemical Society in Boston.

The first group followed a low-calorie diet but did not drink any extra water before meals.

The second group followed the low-calorie diet but also drank two glasses of water before each meal.

Over the course of 12 weeks, those drinking water lost about 15.5lbs while the others lost about 11lbs.
(edited 10 years ago)
You're tricking yourself into thinking that you know alot about this subject by saying big words. Lol.

one of many studies on the subject.

Firstly, I'm not deluding myself into thinking I know a lot about this subject - I know I know a lot about this subject because I've studied nutrition as part of my medical degree and I'm currently acquiring a second degree in sports and exercise medicine, so I like to think I know what I;m talking about.

Secondly, the quote you posted isn't a journal article. Try again. Regardless, the study is flawed because they did not control for appetite, portion size or caloric deficit - they simply said "drink more water". You're telling me that if 2 people, with exactly the same caloric requirements, ate the exact same meals and ate the exact same number of calories, but one person drank more water, that person would lose weight? Because that's just horse-****. I can accept the argument that drinking water satiates you and reduces your chances of over eating, but that means water indirectly helps you lose weight, but doesn't cause weight loss itself - which is what I was arguing the entire time.

Lastly, saying **** like "You're tricking yourself into thinking that you know alot about this subject by saying big words" doesn't actually counter my argument - it's totally irrelevant to the argument at hand and is just straw man/ad hominem. Not to mention the fact that you wrote "Water, which is calorie-free, facilitates the body’s metabolic systems", which is arguably a load of big words and you're deluding yourself into thinking you know more than you do. Care to elaborate on those metabolic systems bro?

It's nearly 2014 and I can't believe people are still looking for magic bullets to weight losss - people are so desperate they're even touting water as a weight loss aid.
(edited 10 years ago)
Whether or not drinking water does or doesn't help you lose weight if you don't drink enough and stay hydrated your gonna get seriously ill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest