The Student Room Group

Is the NHS free?

I switched from my private dentist to a NHS dentist recently because after 18 I don't get free treatment any more.

However, I was charged £41 for a filling at the NHS, which is still cheaper than private but not totally free like I always thought the NHS was free?
This is my first time using the NHS, I'm British and have lived in the UK all my life.

So my question is, if I go to my GP and get treatment and need surgery, do I have to pay also? I have an ingrown toenail I need checked out.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I switched from my private dentist to a NHS dentist recently because after 18 I don't get free treatment any more.

However, I was charged £41 for a filling at the NHS, which is still cheaper than private but not totally free like I always thought the NHS was free?
This is my first time using the NHS, I'm British and have lived in the UK all my life.

So my question is, if I go to my GP and get treatment and need surgery, do I have to pay also? I have an ingrown toenail I need checked out.

You still pay for dental treatment. Read this http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1781.aspx?CategoryID=74&

Any operation on the NHS will be free.
If you're a student you can apply to get free dental treatment. It's the HC1 or 5 form or something - ask at reception.
Reply 3
Original post by Octohedral
If you're a student you can apply to get free dental treatment. It's the HC1 or 5 form or something - ask at reception.

Itis' HC1 form you ask for.
Reply 4
Original post by Octohedral

Original post by OU Student
Itis' HC1 form you ask for.

A Uni student or college? Or both?

If so, does that mean I can get a refund on my £41?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
A Uni student or college? Or both?

If so, does that mean I can get a refund on my £41?

You don't have to be a student. Just someone on a low income.

Quick Reply

Latest