The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE ENGLISH LITERATURE - Summer 2014 *OFFICIAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Good morning, passionate English linguists!

I'm an English teacher at a school in London and would like to help other candidates with English, so that I can develop new ideas to share with my classes. If you need help with writing essays, analysis, mark schemes, determining what mark your essay would get or if you just have any questions, then I'd be happy to help.

I've examined both English (Language) and English Literature in the past, including marking the scripts from the November 2013 series for ENG1H. So, if you want to know how to improve the quality of your essays, then feel free to send them to me too.

Mr Derby.
Reply 81
Original post by kdizzle97
Yeah! That's the problem I have with it but I understand why my teacher teaches us to use PEELs as I'm in the C/D borderline class and they definitely need a structure to use.

I normally end up writing multiple PEEL paragraphs since as you said you can only give one set of evidence :smile: So I'm probably going to explore other ways to write my essays :biggrin:

If you're C/D borderline, use PEEL. Don't just use it as PEEL though, use PEEEEEELPEEPEL, so that you have many different explanations and evidence and links in your paragraph - not just one of each, hence limiting yourself to accessing the higher bands straight away. Obviously, that might result in a bit of a mega-paragraph, but I hope you get the gist.
Original post by MrDerby
This is amazing analysis - are you in Year 11? Do you mind if I share this with my Year 11 class so that they can see the lack of effort they put in?

Is it, aha? Sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrDerby
If you're C/D borderline, use PEEL. Don't just use it as PEEL though, use PEEEEEELPEEPEL, so that you have many different explanations and evidence and links in your paragraph - not just one of each, hence limiting yourself to accessing the higher bands straight away. Obviously, that might result in a bit of a mega-paragraph, but I hope you get the gist.

I'm in that class but I'm predicted an A* and achieving As and yeah thats kind of what I'm doing now and I'm ending up with a PEEL a page long.
Reply 84
I'm in that class but I'm predicted an A* and achieving As and yeah thats kind of what I'm doing now and I'm ending up with a PEEL a page long.

Just make sure that it's not waffle though. If you can write A*, examiners will be able to tell straight away, and by adding waffle and repeating yourself, you only push your mark down. This is why I encourage my students to write concisely about each point, which seems to get them high marks.
Really! My teacher makes it seem like if we don't use it we'd get an E :P

Not at all, it's limits you too much (as kingaaran said in more detail). Flow and natural writing not only makes it sound better but it always gets the A* grades - to some extent that is. :smile:
Reply 86
I am doing To Kill A Mockingbird and The Crucible (no one else seems to). i am also studying the place cluster of poems :frown:
Does anyone have any details on AQA GCSE June 2013 English Literature? (Poetry across time and Exploring modern texts)
Anyone please?
Original post by Olympiad
Thanks, much appreciated!
So this is an example of me annotating the Lennie's hallucinations chapter: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1388857908.817825.jpg and this is for Chapter 6 ImageUploadedByStudent Room1388857940.708794.jpg
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you soo much! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by zintanax
Thank you soo much! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Welcome!

Posted from TSR Mobile

hello olympiad, you got any notes you can share with us for omam and inspector calls please or pm please

cheers mate
Finally found out what texts we're studying: An inspector calls and Of Mice and Men.
Also I'm doing the relationship cluster (I posted this earlier on)
Original post by ilovemusic386
Finally found out what texts we're studying: An inspector calls and Of Mice and Men.
Also I'm doing the relationship cluster (I posted this earlier on)

im doing exactly the same, also can i join the skype group please

anyone want to start one on inspector calls, omam or relatonships cluster 2 out of the 3
Reply 93
Just sat my mock Lit exam. I think that I aced the AIC essay but messed up completely on the unseen. The poem was In Paris with You and the question was thoughts and feelings towards new love. My analysis was well written and concise but I did not address the question and thought that the entire poem was a flashback including the Paris bit (which I took literally as well). Could I still get an A* if I didn't address the question very well/ went in the complete opposite direction despite good analysis and evidence to back up my interpretation?
Reply 94
Can someone please check my work and also grade it for me,I did try my best;English is not my greatest subject :frown:.

In the play Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare presents Tybalt as someone who likes violence. This is shown my “peace? I hate the word”. This quote suggest that Tybalt enjoys violence for him to saying he hates peace. We then see Tybalt questioning the word peace when he says “peace?” He then elaborates on it by saying he hate the word-Showing a lot of negative emotions surrounding Tybalt. We quickly realize that Tybalt was not the type of person that does not like to fight, but he is most likely a person that enjoys and provoke fights. We also realise the Tybalt is most likely to be talking to the Montagues –Which he hates- So the idea of ‘peace’ between them was impossible of Tybalt Showing us, the audience, how he would rather continue fighting the Montagues then have peace with them.

In the play Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare present Tybalt as someone that wants power. This is show by “Fetch me my rapier, boy” This quote instantly shows how Tybalt commands the servant to get his sword and even belittles him by calling him a boy as if he was superior to him. The word “boy” suggests that Tybalt is mocking the servant by referring to him as a child and, in a way, implies that Tybalt is the man, and a child should do what the adult says. We then see later on by the sage directions that the servant does what he says: Making the reader believe he has power but late on, when Mr Capulet, the boss, enters, we then realise that Tybalt has not got any power: as Mr Capulet uses he own language against him.

In the play Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare present Tybalt is impulsive. This is show by “Should this be a Montague. Fetch me my rapier, boy “He already see that Tybalt was ready for battle when he saw/heard a Montague. The word “rapier” in those times were swords: guns had not been made. We see Tybalt did not even think why the Montagues where there but acted on instinct. Tybalt impulsiveness is also evidenced throughout the play, for example, when Tybalt kills Mercutio without thinking, but then he later realises the consequences.
Reply 95
As for the Skype thing, that is kind of done already. Feel free to make another group! :smile:
Original post by Goldfly
Just sat my mock Lit exam. I think that I aced the AIC essay but messed up completely on the unseen. The poem was In Paris with You and the question was thoughts and feelings towards new love. My analysis was well written and concise but I did not address the question and thought that the entire poem was a flashback including the Paris bit (which I took literally as well). Could I still get an A* if I didn't address the question very well/ went in the complete opposite direction despite good analysis and evidence to back up my interpretation?

I thought Paris was a metaphor for love.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by ilovemusic386
I thought Paris was a metaphor for love.

Yeah that's probably right but poetry is all about interpretations.
Original post by Popacup
I am doing To Kill A Mockingbird and The Crucible (no one else seems to). i am also studying the place cluster of poems :frown:

I'm doing The Crucible too :smile:
Reply 99
Original post by TheBluePianist
I'm doing The Crucible too :smile:

I'm not doing The Crucible, but I just have to say that I love it :biggrin: It was our school production last year too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending