The Student Room Group

HELP!!!

What's real life CSI like? :confused:

I know that its not like how tv shows portray it to be, but i'm thinking of doing something in forensics or crimonology as a career path, but i'm worried that i've only started to like it because of what i saw on tv. Can someone please tell me what forensic scientists or crime scene investigators do in real life......
Thanks
:smile::smile::smile::smile:
Original post by confusedwalnut
What's real life CSI like? :confused:

I know that its not like how tv shows portray it to be, but i'm thinking of doing something in forensics or crimonology as a career path, but i'm worried that i've only started to like it because of what i saw on tv. Can someone please tell me what forensic scientists or crime scene investigators do in real life......
Thanks
:smile::smile::smile::smile:

Well as you might guess it's not anything like CSI. At crime scenes your job will be to collect and document usable samples. In the lab it would be processing samples. You are not likely to be directly involved in investigations.

My understanding is that if you work on DNA then you merely process the DNA and send tge report of the findings, you may not know anything about the story behind your task.
Reply 2
Very very oversubscribed from what I've heard (quite probably as a result of shows like CSI). The world is full of forensic science grads working in utterly unrelated fields.
Original post by M1011
Very very oversubscribed from what I've heard (quite probably as a result of shows like CSI). The world is full of forensic science grads working in utterly unrelated fields.

Good point. And in such a situation wages are driven down.

Do Physics. It's great.
Reply 4
Thanks for everyone who replied its been helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest