The Student Room Group

Choosing the right A-Levels

I am currently in year 11 studying for my GCSEs. It's coming to a point to where I have to make a decision as to what A-Level subjects I would like to take after I have finished my GCSEs and moved onto sixth form.

The problem is I don't really know what I want to do with my life yet so I want to keep my options open.

I would like to choose 4 of either; Art, English Language & Literature, Mathematics, Economics, Theatre Studies, Geography.

I really have no idea as to which of these would be more beneficial to my career in the future and which would keep my options open. Some friendly advice could come in handy with my decision. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
I'd say the most important thing is to play to your strengths. What are you good at? If you can combine what you are good at, what you enjoy, and what is useful, then you'll come out on top!

Out of those, I think Mathematics and Geography are the most facilitating, useful, and respected (if you care at all about that sort of thing!) I'm a Geography nut and would highly recommend it. :wink:
I would seriously consider doing English Lit (if your school offers it) as opposed to the combined course, but it's not a huge deal. Economics is not a bad choice either.

Have you thought about whether you want to go to university, and if so, where? Some universities would be a bit iffy about Theatre Studies/Art/Lit and Lang, so taking only one of those as maybe your fourth AS might be a good idea. I'm not endorsing their views at all (Art A-level looks bloody difficult to me!), but you've got to play the game sometimes... :wink:

Unless you are absolutely useless at them, I would recommend throwing a science into the mix. I didn't and have realised the repercussions. :rolleyes: If you suddenly decide you want to pursue a science career, it's highly likely that Chemistry (and at a push, the other two, but from what I've seen Chemistry is a must for lots of courses) will put you in good stead.

If I had to pick 4 from your choices, aiming for a broad and respected combination (so possibly completely different from your preferences!), I would go for Maths, Geography, Economics and English Lang and Lit.
Reply 2
My best subjects are defiantly English, Maths and Art. Sadly my school doesn't offer Economics at GCSE level but it's apparently useful if you have at least a grade B in both English and Maths to pursue it at A-level. I haven't actually done Geography at GCSE but it is a subject that I am very interested in and I can see it being very useful for my future.

I am quite skeptical about going to University right now because of the amount of money it would cost and the chance that I would choose a course I would later find to be difficult, useless or uninteresting. But apart from that I have been researching alot of universities recently and i think it would be a good thing to do.

I have actually thought about choosing either Chemistry or Physics at A-Level and I can see them being very useful and I find them interesting, however I am only getting borderline C/B in my exams right now for those subjects. (I guess it doesn't help that I don't revise much for them)

and I like the combination you picked out and I will defiantly consider it!

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest