The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I'm well aware of that fact. I'm just saying, most people don't do that much different from their mock, usually one grade up. I personally think I did far worse in my real exam than my mocks, so if I get one grade up from my mock, :biggrin:.
Reply 81
DeathAwaitsU
I'm well aware of that fact. I'm just saying, most people don't do that much different from their mock, usually one grade up. I personally think I did far worse in my real exam than my mocks, so if I get one grade up from my mock, :biggrin:.

dunno about your school but at mine mocks bear very little relevance to the overall grade. i cant be arsed to work for mocks, whats the point, you get an A in a mock, so what it means absolutely sweet fa and you have to relearn everything again for the summer. last year was getting Ds and Es in my practice papers for biology and chemistry, got an A in both at AS quite comfortably.
DeathAwaitsU

I know lots of people who've done much better in the real thing, even I did. Science I got a U, in the real thing I got AA. English I got D, in the real thing A, infact, I did better in ALL my real exams.
Reply 83
Mustard-man
I know lots of people who've done much better in the real thing, even I did. Science I got a U, in the real thing I got AA. English I got D, in the real thing A, infact, I did better in ALL my real exams.

Same! I never actually revised for my mocks though, but ended up with better grades in my actual GCSEs:biggrin:
cksjohns
dunno about your school but at mine mocks bear very little relevance to the overall grade. i cant be arsed to work for mocks, whats the point, you get an A in a mock, so what it means absolutely sweet fa and you have to relearn everything again for the summer. last year was getting Ds and Es in my practice papers for biology and chemistry, got an A in both at AS quite comfortably.

Although mock exams are regarded as pointless by some i do think they help. If you actually bother to revise for mock exams it may mean it will be easier for you to recap over everything for the real thing, the more you cover of a topic the easier it becomes. For example i eneded up covering unit 4 biology so much throughout the whole year (with revision for various mocks) that i could end up covering it in less than half an hour for the real exam just by reading through some main points in my notes.
Reply 85
Well I have just read the articles (yes, I know that it is a little late, but for the past week I have not been on TSR as I have had my French exchange partner over) and am a little worried since 4 out of my 5 subjects were done with the OCR exam board - eek!

I was just wondering if your exam papers got lost and OCR gave you an "estimated grade" would universities be able to find out that you were given an estimated grade and actually decline you from joining the university because of this? Also, on your certificate would it state something like "this is only an estimated grade" or would it just be like normal certificates?
Reply 86
MagikGuy
Well I have just read the articles (yes, I know that it is a little late, but for the past week I have not been on TSR as I have had my French exchange partner over) and am a little worried since 4 out of my 5 subjects were done with the OCR exam board - eek!

I was just wondering if your exam papers got lost and OCR gave you an "estimated grade" would universities be able to find out that you were given an estimated grade and actually decline you from joining the university because of this? Also, on your certificate would it state something like "this is only an estimated grade" or would it just be like normal certificates?

No don't worry! If the exam board tells the uni that you got a B, and you needed a B, then they legally have to take you. They won't even know that part/all of your exam was estimated. Also it will not show up on your final certificates,
Reply 87
any idea which OCR papers were lost? Wouldn;t be Critical Thinking would it... *hopeful look*
Reply 88
ssmoose
any idea which OCR papers were lost? Wouldn;t be Critical Thinking would it... *hopeful look*

Ooohh that would be a good paper to lose! I'm deeply suspicious of a subject that needs much less time than others to study.
Use DHL next time.
Er..I hope they lose mine. Then they'll have to use my mock papers, which I think are better(although I did less revision for them)..But that might be a matter of certainty because I obviously know how I did in them but not in the actual exam.

On the other hand, I wouldn't like to resit them.
Reply 91
Don't quote me on this, but hasn't OCR said that the rumours/news about losing exams papers were false?
Reply 92
True Love
Don't quote me on this, but hasn't OCR said that the rumours/news about losing exams papers were false?

Yes they have afaik. Sorry for the quote :p:
Reply 93
True Love

Yes, and I posted a link (somewhere) where they said so! :biggrin:

Here it is again for those who do not want to sift through pages and pages:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5162104.stm
Reply 94
Damn, i hope my paper was "unrecoverable" lol.
Reply 95
lol the tape with my OCR A2 french oral got lost in the post this year
You can also go to: www.ocr.org.uk for the actual picture! It is a little worrying though!!
Well my predicted grades are a lot better than I think I've done! So it wouldn't be too bad, but still, I'd be REALLY annoyed with the exam board - all that effort and you don't even find out what you truly get!
Reply 98
cksjohns
The blame has to fall on OCR ultimately. It is their responsability to set and mark the papers and then give us results at the end. This process may not now happen as smoothly for some as it should due to errors made by Parcel Force. OCR should have put measures in place to stop this from happening, and it is their fault at the end of the day. It is OCRs job to deal with our examinations, not Parcel Force.

""Ministers stress that only one in 10 A-level students gets three As""

Oh ****!
Reply 99
Oh that's great (!) My OCR exams were the only exams i actually think i did good on~! Why couldn't AQA have lost my english and science exams instead? (Sorry to anyone who did good in these exams for cursing it by the way...) Anyways, what are some of these Parcel Force people doing leaving our exams on doorsteps? No sense at all?

Latest

Trending

Trending