The Student Room Group

Moving using clutch only

Hi,

Got my test next week :afraid:, and was wondering how the examiner would react if I were to occasionally move off using the clutch only/reverse with the clutch only - I know you shouldn't and I don't try to but unfortunately it is a little habit that has come into my driving. Would they ignore it or would it be a minor or major?

Cheers.
Reply 1
What's wrong with moving the car only using the clutch? Do it if gives you more control, the examiner won't mark you down for it.
Reply 2
I passed using only clutch and break during manuevers and I don't think there's anything wrong with using clutch only

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Aimless
Hi,

Got my test next week :afraid:, and was wondering how the examiner would react if I were to occasionally move off using the clutch only/reverse with the clutch only - I know you shouldn't and I don't try to but unfortunately it is a little habit that has come into my driving. Would they ignore it or would it be a minor or major?

Cheers.

I doubt they'll be a problem, I had my test last week and did a turn in a road with only the clutch!

Don't know if you use petrol or diesel but I've had experience in both. I was in a petrol car and my instructor told me to apply gas while moving around or off as it'll struggle to move. Then when I changed instructors I was in a diesel and she said that there's no need to apply gas because it'll move off once there's a biting point.

So yeah I wouldn't worry about it, either way I didn't get penalised on my test for not applying gas so I'm sure you wouldn't either.

Good luck with your test!!
Reply 4
When you reverse they want you just to use the clutch by dipping it to stop and lifting it to move :biggrin: it shows you have controll.
I reversed on my test with the clutch only! You don't get penalised for it!
My Dad is an instructor, he teaches students to do it like that if it's a manoeuvre or in very slow traffic. He has an 86% pass rate so I'd say it was okay.
Reply 7
Yes it is okay do that if you are driving a diesel but not in a petrol. In a petrol you need to set the gas before moving foot off clutch.
Reply 8
I've had 2 instructors and also been in 3 cars (2 Diesel 1 Petrol)

For Petrol I HAD to use gas aswell as the clutch to move off.
The first time I took my test I only used the clutch to move off (was in a Diesel)
Once I changed instructors he advised me to use gas when moving off aswell as the clutch as it prevents the chances of stalling, I now feel much better/confident about moving off (and stopping at roundabouts/junctions as I used to hate stopping with fear of the move off again), I'd recommend using gas when moving off as it makes you feel much more in control and this gives you alot of confidence :smile:
You can move off with just the clutch in a petrol car, but it is more sensitive and more likely to stall if you don't use gas as well

But as others have said, yes it's fine to just move using the clutch and in fact when doing manoeuvres it's probably better as you'll move slower and therefore have more control
I got taught to only use the clutch during manoeuvres unless you needed the extra oomph to get up a hill of up the road camber. It sort of depends on the car though. The Corsa I learned in would move along on the clutch very happily, but my Pole will not do anything with the clutch alone, it always needs gas too for it to move.
I don't use gas in my instructors diesel car but in my KA I have to or I'll stall haha. It won't get you marked down as you have full control of the car!
Reply 12
Hey I also experience this fear right now and am using only the clutch to move off. I want to move off quicker than I do now but I can’t reach this quickness with only the clutch. Which rev rate do you recommend to drive off?
most diesels are somewhat 'stall resistant' if you have good clutch control , many petrols aren't , althoug these days of 'lighter' built diesels and ' fly by wire' throttle/ accelorator/gas pedals the differencei s perhaps less apparent than it was 20 + years ago

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending