The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

PGDip/MSc Diagnostic Radiography Jan14

Hi,

I am starting the PGDip/MSc course in Diagnostic Radiography on the 6th Jan and need to know the website for the course if anyone has it?? I was sent a web address through the post that has the course content, reading list etc on it but have misplaced it. I also can't seem to find it on the University website. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks for your help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

Sorry, cant help (hope someone can). I am hoping to apply for this course for Jan 15. Was the interview ok? I already work in another profession in the NHS but changing direction due to job relocation.
I am trying to find out what the timetable is like for lectures. I have 2 children so need be able to plan. Do you have any info?
Hope the course goes well.
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
Reply 2
I am thinking applying next year but confused as to what pgdip and masters means compared to those who do the undergraduate degree? Also wanting to know the hours a week on placement. I am interested in moving to australia in a few years after I've had some experience, but I'm unsure if they will accept a pgdip
Reply 3
Original post by Pip123321
I am thinking applying next year but confused as to what pgdip and masters means compared to those who do the undergraduate degree? Also wanting to know the hours a week on placement. I am interested in moving to australia in a few years after I've had some experience, but I'm unsure if they will accept a pgdip

The PgDip allows you to work as a radiographer in the UK, but other countries will almost certainly require you to have the full MSc qualification to be accepted. Also, I'm fairly sure you'll be working full time during placements, ie. around 40 hours a week. Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by Hokmin
The PgDip allows you to work as a radiographer in the UK, but other countries will almost certainly require you to have the full MSc qualification to be accepted. Also, I'm fairly sure you'll be working full time during placements, ie. around 40 hours a week. Hope this helps!

Really? It doesn't make much sense to be able to workin uk and then other countries won't recognize,p it, despite your experience,
I have no idea where Hokmin gets that idea. I personally know a student who emigrated to Canada after graduating from the PGDip and gaining a first post in British Columbia. This course is now very well established having been enrolling fro over 10 consecutive years. I believe it is the only NHS commissioned MSc/PGDip radiography course in the UK, and commissioned numbers are increasing in 2015. The clinical experience is practically identical to Teesside BSc: the same number of assessed placement weeks, the same assessors, the same hospitals, the same level of assessment. I do not think Australia will be a problem. The University of Sydney offer a very similar course http://sydney.edu.au/courses/Master-of-Diagnostic-Radiography
Reply 6
Original post by Radiography101
I have no idea where Hokmin gets that idea. I personally know a student who emigrated to Canada after graduating from the PGDip and gaining a first post in British Columbia. This course is now very well established having been enrolling fro over 10 consecutive years. I believe it is the only NHS commissioned MSc/PGDip radiography course in the UK, and commissioned numbers are increasing in 2015. The clinical experience is practically identical to Teesside BSc: the same number of assessed placement weeks, the same assessors, the same hospitals, the same level of assessment. I do not think Australia will be a problem. The University of Sydney offer a very similar course http://sydney.edu.au/courses/Master-of-Diagnostic-Radiography

Nice , thanks for your reassurance. Do any current students know when the interviews for this course will be? I want to get work experience before I apply, but think I'll be most likely to get on the course if I apply early.
Reply 7
Hi, I am in exactly the same position as you.. I just came back from a working holiday in australia and am desperate to go back. I've worked in the nhs before in a different profession but really want to go down the radiography route. I know two of my friends who did the BSc and are working in australia although I have the same concerns as you re registration in australia because I know that the qualification you gain in the UK has to be comparable to the australian standard.

Have a look at these links and see if it makes any more sense to you than it does me.. https://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/m/medical-diagnostic-radiographer.htm#SKIA
http://www.air.asn.au/overseasass.php

ALSO... anyone got any tips on what to include in the personal statement? My background is in nutrition/public health so radiography is very new to me...

Reply 8
Original post by lisa1989
Hi, I am in exactly the same position as you.. I just came back from a working holiday in australia and am desperate to go back. I've worked in the nhs before in a different profession but really want to go down the radiography route. I know two of my friends who did the BSc and are working in australia although I have the same concerns as you re registration in australia because I know that the qualification you gain in the UK has to be comparable to the australian standard.

Have a look at these links and see if it makes any more sense to you than it does me.. https://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/m/medical-diagnostic-radiographer.htm#SKIA
http://www.air.asn.au/overseasass.php

ALSO... anyone got any tips on what to include in the personal statement? My background is in nutrition/public health so radiography is very new to me...

I have decided not to apply because I was looking at the list of skilled jobs and radiography isn't on it, nursing is however. I was sure it used to be on it so maybe it's been taken off, or I could be wrong
Reply 9
Original post by lauren_conner
Hi You should still apply! I was on the website http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/a-z.htm
and Radiographers are still on the list of skilled occupations, under the name 'Medical Diagnostic Radiographers'. I too am hoping to go to Australia and work as a Radiographer, so when you said it was no longer on the list I was like: "WHATTTT??" so I checked it out :biggrin:

Lauren

Sorry to alarm you, haha yeh your right ..now I don't know what to do.
Hi, yes i've applied and had an interview but haven't heard back since. My interview was in March so I think they might be waiting to interview more MSc students before making any decisions.
Hi, how was your interview and what type of questions do they ask?? l applied and got an interview date this month :-)
Hi, had an interview today for the MSc/pgdip. ..does anyone know how long they take to respond and how many students they normally enrol? Thanks
Reply 13
Hi, Just wondering when did you first apply? is it too late to apply now for January 2015 entry?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Hi guys, how many of you are MSc graduates (other medical fields/science backgrounds) and applying for this course?

Thanks!
Has anyone who went for an interview heard back yet?
Reply 16
I had an interview but haven't heard yet, I'm sure they said we would hear this month, I'm really not hopeful though, my interview didn't go too well 😞.
Reply 17
Has anyone else been accepted/received any more information for this course starting inive January 2015???

I've been accepted and have my DBS form, have you heard anymore?
Reply 18
Has anyone else been accepted/received any more information for this course starting in January 2015???

Hi there! I received an offer of a place and sent back a form accepting my place but havent heard anything since. Have you been offered one too?
Reply 19
Original post by Abi_B91
Hi there! I received an offer of a place and sent back a form accepting my place but havent heard anything since. Have you been offered one too?

Hi Abi, are you friends with Vicky Clarke by any chance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending