The Student Room Group

Why do I have glucose and blood in urine? Not diabetic :/

Over the past few days I've felt really unwell very weak, no appetite, stomach ache (like wind) and sleeping loads I've been too weak to leave the house and have spent most of my time in bed. My urine has been very dark too I tested it using one of those ph sticks and there was blood and glucose in it. I also fainted the other day after getting out the shower. It was weird I felt sick and my eyes were going blurry. I quickly put on a top and some pants as I wanted to at least have some clothes on in case anyone found me lol. I rushed to my bedroom but didn't make it I woke up on the floor:/

I've just been to the walk in centre explained my symptoms and was told it was probably a virus. She tested my urine and said there was blood and glucose in it but she wasn't sure why and said that it could just be a one off. She tested my blood sugar and temperature they were normal. I'm not getting any burning or pain when I wee (signs of uti infection) so I've no idea what's wrong or why I have glucose and blood in my urine :/
See your go. In a walk in centre they tend to be staffed by nurse practitioners not actual doctors so its best seeing a doctor. It could be a number of things so a blood test might be a good idea.

Make sure you're drinking plenty.
I'm not a doctor but it sounds like you may have something wrong with your kidneys. Go to your GP as soon as possible.
Passing out, loosing blood? Seems like you have anemic signs, but can't be sure from this.
Defo go see your doctor.
Could be kidney problems i.e the kidneys not filtering properly. Go to the GP on Monday!!
Reply 5
Hematuria or Hemoglobinuria (blood in urine) and glycosuria or glucosuria (glucose in the urine) is a condition usually related to renal impairment or diabetes mellitus (latter).

But since you said you are not diabetic, you may have ureter or bladder stones and Urinary Tract Infections (which is actually common), but you may have more serious underlying conditions such as, tumours or infections.

Have you been traumatised in the lower back region before? Or maybe taking medications (sulphonamides, phenytoin)?

I suggest you go to your GP as soon as possible, since any sign of blood excretion is not normal. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
IF your blood glucose was normal then you're left with a couple of possibilities:
- test was faulty in some way, likely
- normal for you to have glucose in your urine
- renal glycosuria implying a problem with your renal tubules, would need more tests to confirm this and find a cause

Blood is easier to explain - infection, trauma, stones, post-infection reactions are all very common causes (but none typically cause glucose to be found too).

Go get tested again, go back to proper GP.
Reply 7
Reply 8
Original post by hslt
IF your blood glucose was normal then you're left with a couple of possibilities:
- test was faulty in some way, likely
- normal for you to have glucose in your urine
- renal glycosuria implying a problem with your renal tubules, would need more tests to confirm this and find a cause

Blood is easier to explain - infection, trauma, stones, post-infection reactions are all very common causes (but none typically cause glucose to be found too).

Go get tested again, go back to proper GP.

Ok cheers. I've been to an out of hours doctor as it looked like there was more blood in my urine. He gave me some antibiotics and said it could be a kidney infection and that it's best to treat it as a full blown water infection. The thing is I thought you usually got lower back or kidney pain with this the only symptoms I have is fatigue, feeling unwell and blood in urine. I was asked about pain and said yes by mistake but I suppose what I have is enough. it's odd I can't feel any pain in the kidney region as people who have had this have experienced.

Hm il stop thinking and just take the antibiotics lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Nope. No change in frequency no burning and no pain. Just blood, cloudy, feeling very lethargic/tired/unwell and reduced appetite.
Reply 10
Original post by civilstudent
Ok cheers. I've been to an out of hours doctor as it looked like there was more blood in my urine. He gave me some antibiotics and said it could be a kidney infection and that it's best to treat it as a full blown water infection. The thing is I thought you usually got lower back or kidney pain with this the only symptoms I have is fatigue, feeling unwell and blood in urine. I was asked about pain and said yes by mistake but I suppose what I have is enough. it's odd I can't feel any pain in the kidney region as people who have had this have experienced.

Hm il stop thinking and just take the antibiotics lol.

Don't need pain, all the symptoms you have are symptoms of a UTI, if antibiotics don't work then that's the time to look for the rarer stuff.

Obviously if you get worse then go back!

Quick Reply

Latest