The Student Room Group

SFE are nearly 2 months behind regarding SSG and dependent grants

I contacted them this morning regarding my application & they told me that they are currently on information received at 5th November.

How is this even possible? I always expect them t be behind & so on, but really, nearly 2 months? The lady on the phone said to me that it will take 34 working days for mine to be sorted & said this happens every year, but if this happens every year, then why is noithing happening to make sure it doesn't?

You have so many different departments behind, every year, they should be learning, but find it even worse every year.

Surely it is about time things are sorted?
Reply 1
Unfortunately resolving these issues would mean employing more staff, which costs money. Unless it becomes a political issue which wins or loses votes, SF won't get any extra funding or spend any more money than they already do.
Reply 2
I don't think it's a purely financial issue. The whole structure of SFE - where applicants aren't permitted to discuss issues with decision-makers, is completely mental. In my case certainly, they would have saved money by 1) not employing call handlers for hours as they try to figure out what and why they are doing with my account 2)not constantly reviewing my settlement and sending me letters saying that they are going to reduce it for no good reason. I rather feel that they have a second remit to cause as much distress as possible so that students will give up. Unfortunately, not all of us have that option.
Reply 3
Best thing you can do is complain. Bosses don't think there's a problem so the only way to highlight issues is using the complaints procedure. Find it here http://www.slc.co.uk/contact/making-a-complaint.aspx
Reply 4
Original post by aaron1867
I contacted them this morning regarding my application & they told me that they are currently on information received at 5th November.

How is this even possible? I always expect them t be behind & so on, but really, nearly 2 months? The lady on the phone said to me that it will take 34 working days for mine to be sorted & said this happens every year, but if this happens every year, then why is noithing happening to make sure it doesn't?

You have so many different departments behind, every year, they should be learning, but find it even worse every year.

Surely it is about time things are sorted?

That's worrying... just to clarify when did you apply for it? Did you apply late? I am presuming you are already on your course and didn't apply for this when applications opened for SFE in the February before your course began. Though circumstances do change and that may be part of the reason for anyone's late application. But if you applied in good time prior to commencing your course and they still haven't sorted it that's a huge worry! I am relying on getting the grants I have applied for and for when scheduled (I do have saved money as well) if they are behind with this then this could cause potential problems. If unfortunately you have applied late for whatever reason it does say somewhere on their site that this should be avoided as delays are likely... 2 months it shouldn't be but is possible if the volume of late applications is huge.

I see you posted in December 13, I hope it is sorted for you now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending