The Student Room Group

Should parents be banned from smacking their children?

Poll

Should parents be banned from smacking their children?

Parents should be banned from smacking children, the Children's Commissioner for England, Maggie Atkinson, has said.

She told the Independent the law gave pets and adults more rights to protection from violence than children.

There was a legal "loophole around the fact that you can physically chastise your child", she added.

She called for a total ban under which parents could face criminal action. But she said that actively campaigning for a ban would not be a priority.

Under current laws, mild smacking is allowed but any which causes visible bruising, grazes, scratches, swellings or cuts is not.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25529744

What's your opinion?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's no business of the state how parents discipline their children. The state interferes with too much already; don't give them another inch.
I think the current law is fine as it is.
Original post by Boromir
It's no business of the state how parents discipline their children. The state interferes with too much already; don't give them another inch.

Well it is the business of the state.
If it was up to the state they would tax every parent for each individual slap. So you don't really want to take their advice.

If a child needs a genuine slap and not a beating thats fine. But if you slap a child because your favourite tv show is on then thats abuse.
Reply 5
Original post by Boromir

I think it is the state's business. The state has a duty of care to look after its citizens. That's why we have a police force, fire service, health care, etc.

That duty of care extends especially towards children. Most of the time you can trust parents to fulfill it, but that's not always the case. Surely you don't think parents should be free to do whatever they want in order to discipline their children? Break their bones? Cut them?

That said, I don't see what's wrong with the current law. Physical pain is not harmful in itself. We've already outlawed any form of punishment that causes physical damage. Psychological damage is another thing, but there are so many other ways a parent could potentially damage their child psychologically. I don't think a smack on the bum is going to be significant in almost all cases.
Reply 6
I believe as long as you're not actually 'bruising' your child, I think it's legal?
Reply 7
if parents want to discipline their children that is their choice we are not talking about being beaten or abused which social services should deal with but a smack on the bottom for misbehaviour is fine
I have mixed opinions on this. If it remains a smack, sure. But quite often, it doesn't.
Reply 9
It's not enforceable.

Kids are too quick to claim 'child abuse' with the slightest tap
Reply 10
Original post by Psyk
I think it is the state's business. The state has a duty of care to look after its citizens. That's why we have a police force, fire service, health care, etc.

That duty of care extends especially towards children. Most of the time you can trust parents to fulfill it, but that's not always the case. Surely you don't think parents should be free to do whatever they want in order to discipline their children? Break their bones? Cut them?

That said, I don't see what's wrong with the current law. Physical pain is not harmful in itself. We've already outlawed any form of punishment that causes physical damage. Psychological damage is another thing, but there are so many other ways a parent could potentially damage their child psychologically. I don't think a smack on the bum is going to be significant in almost all cases.

That is assault. A smack on the arse isn't.
Reply 11
Original post by Dominic101
Well it is the business of the state.

If my kid plays up and I smack his arse, I shouldn't have some washed up Labourite fingering my ear.

If you want the state to look out for everything you do go to prison.
The policy is ridiculous!
Yes, as a child I hated being smacked by my parents, but reflecting upon it, it has shaped who I am now - someone who is above the unmannered and disrespectful youths of todays culture.
As a child you might not like being smacked or hit, but when you've grown older and realised that it has made you a better person, you will be grateful!

Before anyone say I'm from the 50's or 60's, I'm actually 17 years old.
Smacking is only part of the question. The real question, as mentioned in the article, is whether the law on violence should be the same for parents towards children as adults towards other adults? Because that may well be where we are heading.

If a father grabs a child causing havoc roughly by the scruff of the neck, for instance, should that be assault?

My personal take is that this is ridiculous. Parents should not be able to harm their child, but outlawing light physical castigation would undermine the ability of parents to control and discipline their children. We are moving towards a situation where parents are fearful to punish their children. Where children are encouraged to see their parents as tyrants and to look to the state, rather than their family, to as their protector.

Stalin saw the family unit as a barrier to his state control. I submit that our modern state tends to think in a similar way.
Reply 14
Original post by Boromir
That is assault. A smack on the arse isn't.

I know, read the next paragraph.

My point is, it is the state's business how people discipline their children because assault is illegal. We quite rightly do give parents limits on how they can discipline their children. I agree with you that smacking should be acceptable, but I also think it is the government's job to decide what is and what isn't acceptable.
Reply 15
Original post by Rinsed
My personal take is that this is ridiculous. Parents should not be able to harm their child, but outlawing light physical castigation would undermine the ability of parents to control and discipline their children. We are moving towards a situation where parents are fearful to punish their children. Where children are encouraged to see their parents as tyrants and to look to the state, rather than their family, to as their protector.

That's exactly what the left wants.
Reply 16
Original post by Voltozonic
I'd rather 18 years of smacking to being circumcised at birth.

Take that power away from parents first and then they can talk about smacking.

What's wrong with circumcision?
Original post by Boromir
If my kid plays up and I smack his arse, I shouldn't have some washed up Labourite fingering my ear.

If you want the state to look out for everything you do go to prison.

Maybe you should learn to be a better parent and not have to resort to smacking instead?
Reply 18
Original post by Joaqueem
What's wrong with circumcision?

It's making a permanent and unnecessary* physical alteration to a person's body without their consent. Whatever benefits circumcision has, most of them only apply to adults who should be free to make the decision themselves.

* except when it actually is necessary for medical reasons. That's a different situation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Smacking is not only an uncouth, barbaric, appalling behaviour but it is very ineffective. It has a strong impact initially in the moment of being hit but afterwards the child is mostly left confused and scared. Why would you teach your children with fear and hatred instead of reason and guidance? Smacking only teaches children that if something gets out of hand, you hit someone to put it right, and that it's OK to hit someone as long as they are smaller than you. For some parents, the option of smacking blurs the line between what is acceptable and what is not. When smacking inevitably doesnt work in the long term it gets harder and more aggressive in an attempt to keep control. I cringe when I see parents in public smacking, pulling and generally writhing their children around. I know exactly what's going though that child's head, because that was once me. They feel bad inside, not guilty, but innately, deeply bad and unwanted. Once they feel that they themselves are bad they do more things they see as bad. They become emotionally detatched from their parents, the very people meant to teach and guide them, and grow up to be badly behaved because of this.
However smacking is terrifically hard to police, since most of it will happen in the home. Even the current rules about not causing visible damage aren't widely known about or reported. Who is going to report it? Parents obviously wouldn't report it themselves, children wouldn't know where to begin so the only people really are those the child complains to about how the abuse left a mark. I once, aged around 14 during an argument was thrown to the floor by my father and hit my head so hard a painful bump quickly raised on my scalp. I ran out and spent the night at my grandparents to whom I explained how this had been happening for a while now but they just turned a blind eye to it and seemed to assume I was in the wrong. It wasnt the bump that caused me the most damage though, it was the emotional turmoil of knowing my own parents thought nothing of hurting me so badly and aeemed not to want me or care. My point is that even if they do outlaw smacking, it will be difficult to enforce. It is good that this subject is being brought to public attention though. People need to be taught about the emotional and developmental damage smacking can cause and people need to be taught alternative, more effective ways of discipline.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending