The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Electronics

I was just wondering who else did this, as it seems to be very rare. Not many other schools offer it that I know of, so if you do AQA GCSE Electronics, feel free to post how you are finding it and any tips/hints or anything else electronics related over here. Thanks a lot :smile:

Here's a link to the official AQA spec in case anyone was interested
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/electronics-4430
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
No one else then :frown: Didn't think it was that rare :tongue:
Reply 2
:bump:

This is getting kind of sad now :cry2:
Did the AQA Electronics 44301 exam today. How did you find it?
Original post by otherdan
Did the AQA Electronics 44301 exam today. How did you find it?

Whoops, didn't see this until now :tongue:

I found it pretty good on the whole, the 10 mark component question was a bit unexpected but I think I got enough down :s-smilie:

What about you?
Original post by Arithmeticae
Whoops, didn't see this until now :tongue:

I found it pretty good on the whole, the 10 mark component question was a bit unexpected but I think I got enough down :s-smilie:

What about you?

I feel similarly. I thought it was awful when I was sitting it, but I realise that the first two questions were unusual and threw me off a bit. I put down what I could for the safety part.

The 10 mark component table was surprising. The resistor and its value were okay, but for the 4013 I put 'Integrated Circuit' for the component name and then specified D-type flip flop and 14 pins in the decoding of the markings. I'm unsure what they wanted. Also most of us were unsure about the last component. We assumed capacitor and I put 22nF and 5% tolerance, but do you have any idea what the 100 was after it?

After that, it was fairly standard so I hope it was okay overall.
(edited 9 years ago)
I feel similarly. I thought it was awful when I was sitting it, but I realise that the first two questions were unusual and threw me off a bit. I put down what I could for the safety part.The 10 mark component table was surprising. The resistor and its value were okay, but for the 4013 I put 'Integrated Circuit' for the component name and then specified D-type flip flop and 14 pins in the decoding of the markings. I'm unsure what they wanted. Also most of us were unsure about the last component. We assumed capacitor and I put 22nF and 5% tolerance, but do you have any idea what the 100 was after it?After that, it was fairly standard so I hope it was okay overall.
I put the usual for the resistor, didn't know it was a D type flip flop so I just put 'number shows type of IC and dimple shows orientation' and I think the 100 was about the 100V working voltage (not too sure though :smile:)
Original post by Arithmeticae
I put the usual for the resistor, didn't know it was a D type flip flop so I just put 'number shows type of IC and dimple shows orientation' and I think the 100 was about the 100V working voltage (not too sure though :smile:)

I was considering the orientation mark but couldn't quite phrase it as though it was proper data.

The specification says interpret the markings on a capacitor (excluding colour code), to determine the capacitance, voltage rating, tolerance and polarity so I assume you were right about working voltage as polarity is unlikely because it was likely not electrolytic. I was going to go for voltage but thought 100V was a bit high!
I was considering the orientation mark but couldn't quite phrase it as though it was proper data.

The specification says interpret the markings on a capacitor (excluding colour code), to determine the capacitance, voltage rating, tolerance and polarity so I assume you were right about working voltage as polarity is unlikely because it was likely not electrolytic. I was going to go for voltage but thought 100V was a bit high!

Yeah, was a bit of a last minute thing :tongue:

Literally couldn't think of anything else so I decided to just go for it, think it came up on a past paper as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending