The Student Room Group

Waters of Crystallization

Can someone please explain to me the way the H20 in hydrated crystals actually help with the formation of the crystalline structure produced?

Thank you.
Original post by davidtyoember
Can someone please explain to me the way the H20 in hydrated crystals actually help with the formation of the crystalline structure produced?

Thank you.

In simple terms you can look at the water of crystallisation as the cement that holds the bricks (the ions) in position in the lattice...
Reply 2
Original post by charco
In simple terms you can look at the water of crystallisation as the cement that holds the bricks (the ions) in position in the lattice...

how does it do this may I ask?
Original post by davidtyoember
how does it do this may I ask?

Through a mixture of electrostatic interactions and dative type bonding. The hydrogen atoms of water are partially positive and attracted to the negative ions in the lattice, while the lone pairs on the oxygen atoms can donate lone pairs to produce a dative coordinate bond with the positive ions in the lattice.

Symmetry and steric considerations produce the final shape, which maximises interactions.

With copper(II) sulphate there are five water molecules surrounding the copper ion with a further water molecule further away from the coordination sphere.
Reply 4
Original post by charco
Symmetry and steric considerations produce the final shape, which maximises interactions.

With copper(II) sulphate there are five water molecules surrounding the copper ion with a further water molecule further away from the coordination sphere.

i do not quite understand this part, what do you mean?

Quick Reply

Latest