The Student Room Group

Giving up chocolate - has anyone ever done it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lauramercier
I'm a serial chocolate eater, I can't get enough of the stuff. This Christmas, I have decided enough is enough and I'm making today the first day of my zero chocolate diet. I guess it's kind of a New Year's resolution only I'm starting it a few days early.
Has anyone ever done it before? Or given up another food item that they really love?

My New Year resolution is to go vegan (I'm vegetarian already). Although there are vegan cheeses, I'm going to miss a lot of unique flavours :frown:
Original post by Pastaferian
My New Year resolution is to go vegan (I'm vegetarian already). Although there are vegan cheeses, I'm going to miss a lot of unique flavours :frown:

Oh good luck to you! I'm sure once you get into the swing of things and find your feet, you'll find lots of yummy vegan dishes and I'm sure there are lots of different recipes and ideas online! But I know what you mean, it's hard to replicate the taste of proper cheese
Reply 22
Not chocolate no, but two years ago I gave up fizzy.. The first few weeks were terrible! It was so hard but I stuck at it. Then at a month, two months and three months, I felt like I had come way too far to break my non-fizzy streak..

At six or so months, I didn't even miss it..

Then a week before the next year, I said to myself I'll give myself a "fizzy week". I almost threw up! It was absolutely disgusting, way to sweet and I'd hiccup every time I drank it haha..

You'll get used to it trust me
Original post by SHOO
Not chocolate no, but two years ago I gave up fizzy.. The first few weeks were terrible! It was so hard but I stuck at it. Then at a month, two months and three months, I felt like I had come way too far to break my non-fizzy streak..

At six or so months, I didn't even miss it..

Then a week before the next year, I said to myself I'll give myself a "fizzy week". I almost threw up! It was absolutely disgusting, way to sweet and I'd hiccup every time I drank it haha..

You'll get used to it trust me

Ah well done!!!!! I really hope so, experiences like this make me feel it's not going to be too bad, I just need to get over the first few weeks and tell myself to keep it up but glad it's been possible for you :biggrin:
i really really need to, it's just for me it'll end up in me turning to other foods, like sweets such as haribos :frown:
Reply 25
Ah well done!!!!! I really hope so, experiences like this make me feel it's not going to be too bad, I just need to get over the first few weeks and tell myself to keep it up but glad it's been possible for you :biggrin:

Yah, it honestly is really hard.. Especially the first month or so but after, you feel as though you've come way too far to let yourself down now, and your stubbornness sort of keeps it all going for you..

The best thing is to find an alternative that you'll enjoy, maybe like a fruit or something? Mine was juice haha

Course it's possible for you too, you'll be fine :smile: whenever you want chocolate just think to yourself "that guy from tsr didn't have fizzy when he wanted to!" :wink:
I know someone who did a whole year!!
I know right!! A WHOLE YEAR,
but she's pretty amazing so I guess that explains it.
I'm a serial chocolate eater, I can't get enough of the stuff. This Christmas, I have decided enough is enough and I'm making today the first day of my zero chocolate diet. I guess it's kind of a New Year's resolution only I'm starting it a few days early.
Has anyone ever done it before? Or given up another food item that they really love?
I've heard that after 2-4 week of going without it, you begin to forget about it and if someone offers it you, it's much easier to turn it down.
I've also been told that going cold turkey on chocolate only sets yourself up to fail and that it'll end up on a big binge, yikes!
I'm really hoping I can keep it up and as long as my family are supportive and don't shove it under my nose, hopefully I'll be able to!
Anyone done it before?

Original post by danny111
Wanna do it together?

Original post by Ripper-Roo
One morning :colone:

Original post by Robbie242
I was chocolate free for 2months until Christmas but now I'm back on my non-chocolate streak

Original post by James A
Ferrero Rocher has been the issue for me. It's :sogood:

Original post by Rascacielos
Sounds daft to me. Why don't you just learn to eat it in moderation? Complete deprivation hardly ever works.

Worked for me, didn't eat it for a whole year and when I tried it again, it didn't taste as nice, because I preferred the taste of sweet fruits like mangos etc. Also you get less fat and spots, well for most people anyway. Cba to argue chocolate gives you spots etc.
Original post by SHOO
Yah, it honestly is really hard.. Especially the first month or so but after, you feel as though you've come way too far to let yourself down now, and your stubbornness sort of keeps it all going for you..

The best thing is to find an alternative that you'll enjoy, maybe like a fruit or something? Mine was juice haha

Course it's possible for you too, you'll be fine :smile: whenever you want chocolate just think to yourself "that guy from tsr didn't have fizzy when he wanted to!" :wink:

I'm going to try and get friends and family to have bets with me to make it seem worthwhile from the start. Yes haha, stubbornness will definitely help! I'm a grape addict too so hoping they will take the place of chocolate. I definitely will think your achievements! :yy:
I think learning to enjoy chocolate in moderation will be psychologically healthier than stigmatising chocolate and telling yourself you can't have it.

Google "flexible dieting". There's no reason you can't eat chocolate (in moderation) as part of a healthy balanced diet. If cutting chocolate out of your diet is the change that makes you lose weight and achieve the physique you want, then its highly like your diet is very poor and you need to re-evaluate your diet, exercise and way you view food.
Original post by HFerguson
I think learning to enjoy chocolate in moderation will be psychologically healthier than stigmatising chocolate and telling yourself you can't have it.

Google "flexible dieting". There's no reason you can't eat chocolate (in moderation) as part of a healthy balanced diet. If cutting chocolate out of your diet is the change that makes you lose weight and achieve the physique you want, then its highly like your diet is very poor and you need to re-evaluate your diet, exercise and way you view food.

I'm not doing it to lose any weight, although if I were to it would be a bonus I guess. It's more for the mental self control aspect as I think it could benefit me in other areas of my life too, or so I hope!
Reply 31
Well, I've never given up chocolate but I really don't like chocolate so I don't eat it. The same with fizzy drinks and other sweets. I really just dislike the taste and it makes me feel sick.

My current addiction (lasting quite a few years to be honest!) is dried mangoes...spend way too much money on those...
I imagine that you could effectively give up chocolate by gradually reducing how much of it you eat over a long period of time so that there's no sudden, shocking change and you have time to get used to life without it. However, as has been mentioned, I don't think you really have to completely give it up, as just a little bit of chocolate now and again, especially if it's dark chocolate, is unlikely to do you much harm.
Reply 33
I don't eat chocolate.

my main reason being, if I eat chocolate, my face begins to sweat. (I must be allergic) never asked why, don't care, not too keen on the stuff anyways.
Original post by Blueray2
Worked for me, didn't eat it for a whole year and when I tried it again, it didn't taste as nice, because I preferred the taste of sweet fruits like mangos etc.

Then you have willpower stronger than most.

Original post by Blueray2
Also you get less fat and spots, well for most people anyway. Cba to argue chocolate gives you spots etc.

From what I'm aware, it's not so much that chocolate gives you spots, but that it doesn't help to get rid of them, whereas eating "clean" foods like fruit and drinking lots of water do.
Reply 35
I've heard that after 2-4 week of going without it, you begin to forget about it and if someone offers it you, it's much easier to turn it down.
I've also been told that going cold turkey on chocolate only sets yourself up to fail and that it'll end up on a big binge, yikes!
I'm really hoping I can keep it up and as long as my family are supportive and don't shove it under my nose, hopefully I'll be able to!
Anyone done it before?

Yep, I've done it

I needed to lose weight, so I just decided to cut out all my junk food, which involved alot of chocolate.

It's a mental thing, I used to think, is 200 calories of chocolate (which is about 8 blocks of galaxy) which lasts 5 minutes, really worth it?

You don't HAVE to give it up entirely if you can control it, do you want to lose weight or just cut chocolate out a bit?
Original post by zKlown
Yep, I've done it

I needed to lose weight, so I just decided to cut out all my junk food, which involved alot of chocolate.

It's a mental thing, I used to think, is 200 calories of chocolate (which is about 8 blocks of galaxy) which lasts 5 minutes, really worth it?

You don't HAVE to give it up entirely if you can control it, do you want to lose weight or just cut chocolate out a bit?

Definitely agree with the mental thing. I don't particularly want to lose weight, I just want to control the thing that I currently feel as if I don't control, I guess it's more of a changing my mindset thing rather than changing my diet. It'd be nice to prove myself and everyone else wrong who thinks I won't be able to do it too!
I really need to do this too. My diet is so unhealthy! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's wrong with chocolate?

A bit here and there couldn't hurt anyone
Reply 39
What's gonna happen -

You'll cut out chocolate and stick to it for a brief period when your motivation level is high

As your motivation dwindles one day you'll start having massive chocolate binges, far worse than the amount you eat now

Don't say I didn't tell you so

Quick Reply

Latest