The Student Room Group

Is my dad emotionally abusive?

I am 17 and I think my dad is emotionally abusive and so does my mum. My mum and dad are separated. My dad gets angry at me on a weekly basis and insults me almost every time I see him. He tells me I am unloveable, unlikeable, mean, unkind, selfish, getting fat, that I am turning into my mother (yes that is used as an insult and he picks out all of my mum's bad qualities), he has said that I abhorrent to him, I disgust him and he wants me to go and live with my mother and he looks forward to it when I am not at home.

Obviously these are hurtful things but he also punishes me for small things like not peeling potatoes quick enough and says that he will remove all funding for tennis (my main sport) if I misbehave towards him i.e. I might answer back because no one else is here to defend me. To give you both sides of the story my dad does pay for school fees and tennis coaching etc.

So am I overreacting or is this emotional abuse?
Thanks for your message, I am really sorry to hear about how your dad has been treating you. You are right, this is certainly abusive. What he is saying to you is appalling and must be really upsetting.
Am I right in thinking you live with him? Is there anyway you could stay with your mum instead?
Does anyone else know what has been going on? Perhaps there is someone at school you can talk to? You can also ring childline as they will be able to give you some advice - 0800 1111

No parent should ever talk to their child the way your dad is to you, there is no excuse for this kind of abuse. Please do talk to people and try to contact childline, you do not have to go through this alone,
take care
Jo

Quick Reply

Latest