The Student Room Group

CCEA as level English literature THE GREAT GATSBY exam!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by NicolaM
Thank you! Yea if women or American dream come up I'll be fantastically content. However, it's poetry that's my extreme down fall. Basically a forgein side of the course for me. Are you studying yeates and kavanagh by any chance? I'm revising 4 poems which is risky

I am doing Yeats and Kavanagh! Trying to revise atm but failing to haha.
I've managed to get it down to 11 poems to fit across all themes, just to be safe. As long as you know off your methods I find you can wing it in the exam for poetry? As long as all methods relate back to the theme :smile:
Original post by ohdear6
I am doing Yeats and Kavanagh! Trying to revise atm but failing to haha.
I've managed to get it down to 11 poems to fit across all themes, just to be safe. As long as you know off your methods I find you can wing it in the exam for poetry? As long as all methods relate back to the theme :smile:

Ahhhh! Thank god! It's my Achilles heel :tongue: can't mind which poem that's referenced in..remember it from last year lol. Lol I'm hoping childhood, poetry, nature/landscape, place (has this been up before??) all come up. You?? If not I'm failing. I'm so bad at poetry so I'm revising essays from people in my class lol
Reply 82
Original post by NicolaM
Ahhhh! Thank god! It's my Achilles heel :tongue: can't mind which poem that's referenced in..remember it from last year lol. Lol I'm hoping childhood, poetry, nature/landscape, place (has this been up before??) all come up. You?? If not I'm failing. I'm so bad at poetry so I'm revising essays from people in my class lol

Nature and landscape hasn't came up yet so its a possibility! Neither have elegies or commemoration though... so just go over them to be sure :eek: They are the main ones I've been revising, I just hope to wing it in the exam :tongue:
they could throw in something random though, last exam it was 'inner conflict'???
Original post by ohdear6
Nature and landscape hasn't came up yet so its a possibility! Neither have elegies or commemoration though... so just go over them to be sure :eek: They are the main ones I've been revising, I just hope to wing it in the exam :tongue:
they could throw in something random though, last exam it was 'inner conflict'???

Yea I sat the inner conflict. Didn't go down well. Because it was unexpected I'm sure they will bring a normal theme. What poem are you doing for elegies or commemoration.
What poems are you's learning that should cover the possibilities of what will come up? Might glance over some!
Anyone? Lol
I've learnt in memory of mother and in memory of Robert Gregory as these can be for commemoration, death or death of a loved one! Then wild swans at Coole and shankoduff for nature and landscapes they could also be used as place I think as well tho I would choose innocence in the place of shankoduff! Our teacher has also predicted attitudes to irish poetry as a theme and I would use a coat and irish poets open your eyes! This is all I've learnt!! Hope it helps!

Also does anyone have any predictions for gatsby! Helpppppp
How do you learn your poems? Do you learn the form/structure and try to learn about 3/4 methods that you can use to do with the theme? That's what I'm going to start doing but I'm really scared as I haven't revised any poems yet because I concentrated too hard on history that was this morning..:frown:

Also in your exam if you can't remember anything could you just pick out methods that are related to the theme and waffle about it? lol here's hoping!
Hi Zango! How did you find history? I thought the source for for early stuarts was good but both 12mks were awful
Original post by jellybean192
I've learnt in memory of mother and in memory of Robert Gregory as these can be for commemoration, death or death of a loved one! Then wild swans at Coole and shankoduff for nature and landscapes they could also be used as place I think as well tho I would choose innocence in the place of shankoduff! Our teacher has also predicted attitudes to irish poetry as a theme and I would use a coat and irish poets open your eyes! This is all I've learnt!! Hope it helps!

Also does anyone have any predictions for gatsby! Helpppppp

Is there any way you could give me notes on commemoration, nature and landscapes and attitudes to Irish poetry. I would greatly appreciate it!!
Original post by bethblur
Hi Zango! How did you find history? I thought the source for for early stuarts was good but both 12mks were awful

I thought it was ok, could have been better but could have been worse! I hate sources though because I'm so bad at the technique side of them :frown: what option did you do? I did Germany :smile:

Are you doing Gatsby for your novel? :biggrin:
I did England 1603 to the 50s. James I and Charles I pretty much! Germany defo looks like the most interesting one :frown: I am doing Gatsby yeah! Haven't started learning it yet which is scary, still on poetry. I'm sure Gatsby won't take as long (hopefully) I find it easier to remember because I like it so much lol
Ah, it sounds hard but interesting! We basically do about Weimar Republic and Nazis, I think it's the easier option as we've learned about Nazis since primary :smile: lol

Same! I'm just gonna learn loads of quotes and some context on America and hope I can successfully waffle! But poems are so much harder to write loads for when you don't know it well :P
Hehe i'm the exact same. Just the flappers and the early settlers etc. I can't wait until it's done but at the same time i'm so scared because it's really important. What all have you learnt so far?
I've really only learnt a few poems and a few Gatsby essay plans but it's scarily not enough, hope to learn it all today... What about you how much have you learnt so far? :smile:
A few poems, no gatsby yet! Planning to also cram it all today lol
Anyone any notes on nature, eulogy, commeration for yeates and kavanagh? I will be eternally grateful!!
PLEASE someone (anyone?) who does Thomas and Frost poetry tell me what your predictions are.

Oh and I know NOTHING for Gatsby other than the American Dream and Wome and maybe Gatsby as a Hero. What is everyone actually revising for Gatsby? :s-smilie:
Original post by Procrastinator123
PLEASE someone (anyone?) who does Thomas and Frost poetry tell me what your predictions are.

Oh and I know NOTHING for Gatsby other than the American Dream and Wome and maybe Gatsby as a Hero. What is everyone actually revising for Gatsby? :s-smilie:

Hey I do Thomas and Frost poetry and Gatsby too :smile: my teacher told us trees have never came up so could be a possibility and maybe theme of doubt again? I hope it's a nice one whatever it is! What are your predictions? Did your teacher suggest anything? I'm really worried about poetry! :frown:
Original post by Zango11
Hey I do Thomas and Frost poetry and Gatsby too :smile: my teacher told us trees have never came up so could be a possibility and maybe theme of doubt again? I hope it's a nice one whatever it is! What are your predictions? Did your teacher suggest anything? I'm really worried about poetry! :frown:

FINALLY haha I really hope 'Trees' come up as well, so I could 'Aspens'/'Birches'?? I was looking at the past papers most of the themes have only come up one time which really freaks me out.
I'm trying to learn Trees, Contemplation, Rural work, Encounters in rural settings and Old age/Old men. What about you? Wait til you see something like Birds will come up and I won't have a clue, I'm really bad at identifying methods unseen as well :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending