The Student Room Group

1000m, 1km, 0.6miles running

Hi, my gym is approx just over 1000m away. I've started running to the gym and recording my times, my first time was 4min57sec and my recent and best is 4min22sec. The route I take has many streets and roads and at no point do I pause the time. I've only been running running for 2weeks now and therefore as you'd expect my 'run' has a significant amount of walking to catch breath. :/
I can't figure out if this is a good time for an 18year old male due to the amount of variables...any ideas? thanks. :biggrin: (p.s. I wear a backpack with a protein shake and bottle of water in it, if that makes my time seem more respectable)
(edited 10 years ago)
As an 18 year old male I can run on a track 1km in about 3:30 ish... but that's on a track. With roads/traffic I'd expect that to be more like 4 mins. Sounds like you are improving - and not doing too badly atm! :biggrin:
Reply 2
It's not bad considering it's probably not exactly 1km, it's probably not flat and its along roads. I think most 18 year old men who do some form of regular exercise could probably expect to run a bit over 4mins as cant_think_of_name says.

Also, if you can't run 1km either you haven't done any cardio before 2 weeks ago or you are pacing it wrong. Jogging 1km shouldn't be a stretch.

Quick Reply

Latest