The Student Room Group

Gap Year Help

I'm currently in education but I am considering taking a break and doing a gap year.
I want to work abroad, possibly Canada, but I have no idea how to go about this.
I've seen companies who organise such gap years so was wondering if it is worth going with an organisation or independently?
Any advice will be welcomed! :smile:
Reply 1
If you want to work abroad in Canada then try out BUNAC http://www.bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/work-canada

I myself did the summer camp programme with them and they were so helpful and understanding when sorting out my visas and stuff like that. All the stuff you never think about! Doing a ski season/summer season in Canada would be awesome, something I'd love to do too - I would used BUNAC when I went as my previous experience with them was awesome

hope this helps, Jim x
Reply 2
Original post by jim900
If you want to work abroad in Canada then try out BUNAC http://www.bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/work-canada

I myself did the summer camp programme with them and they were so helpful and understanding when sorting out my visas and stuff like that. All the stuff you never think about! Doing a ski season/summer season in Canada would be awesome, something I'd love to do too - I would used BUNAC when I went as my previous experience with them was awesome

hope this helps, Jim x

how much was you paid for the job?
Hi there, I'm in the same position as you (ish). I was looking into doing a ski season in Canada and two of my friends have both done it as well (separate occasions). They said that it was fun but it is so expensive to live, the pay was so low that they could buy food and stuff but not go out and it was really hard work. So if you are into that then it sounds awesome. I, however, am looking to doing a season in Europe as a Rep. I know a lot of people who have done this and although they said the pay was low, the work was hard (not as demanding), they had a lot a lot of fun, nightlife was amazing and skiing was top. So it depends entirely on what you are interested in. Canada there are few chalets, unlike Europe and although it sounds amazing to work in Canada (trust me I know) you have to think about other options. Hope this helps. Please chat to me anytime about this cause I've been thinking about doing roughly the same thing.
Reply 4
Original post by confused_101
Hi there, I'm in the same position as you (ish). I was looking into doing a ski season in Canada and two of my friends have both done it as well (separate occasions). They said that it was fun but it is so expensive to live, the pay was so low that they could buy food and stuff but not go out and it was really hard work. So if you are into that then it sounds awesome. I, however, am looking to doing a season in Europe as a Rep. I know a lot of people who have done this and although they said the pay was low, the work was hard (not as demanding), they had a lot a lot of fun, nightlife was amazing and skiing was top. So it depends entirely on what you are interested in. Canada there are few chalets, unlike Europe and although it sounds amazing to work in Canada (trust me I know) you have to think about other options. Hope this helps. Please chat to me anytime about this cause I've been thinking about doing roughly the same thing.

Thank you for that reply, it has given me some things to think about that I didn't consider previously! I'm one for the night life so may look into other place and options now!
Original post by CwynW
Thank you for that reply, it has given me some things to think about that I didn't consider previously! I'm one for the night life so may look into other place and options now!

no problem. A lot of the ski companies like crystal and nielsons also do summer seasons. This will vary from job to job but im looking at being a rep so we help with mountain biking, climbing, fishing, walking etc in the most scenic places. So its not always skiing with the 'ski' companies. Just an idea for you there. Alternatively, you could volunteer abroad like in Borneo, helping monkeys and stuff. Or you could work in Australia picking fruits and stuff. There is this brilliant website called GET AUSTRALIA which will help you out with finding a job. Also, have you looked at working in a summer camp in america? After working for them for a few weeks they often allow you time to travel afterwards. This, however, is normally just in the summer so it could be an idea just for fun. Hope all this helps :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest