The Student Room Group

shocking uk rape statistics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IlexBlue
http://afternoonsnoozebutton.com/post/27126498887/why-rape-jokes-are-uniquely-bad

Because apparently people need convincing as to why rape jokes are messed up.

That is not what I was talking about, the poster I originallyquoted said that people who make the jokes think that is rape is fine (or somethingsimilar), which is not the case.
Reply 41
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
That is not what I was talking about, the poster I originallyquoted said that people who make the jokes think that is rape is fine (or somethingsimilar), which is not the case.

But that is true in a lot of cases, and in the ones where it's not, by telling rape jokes, you're treating the entire subject like a joke and letting other potential rapists see it as something that's okay/ acceptable.

Any guy that finds rape jokes even remotely funny or finds no problem with them is someone I'd be wary of, tbh.
Reply 42
http://afternoonsnoozebutton.com/post/27126498887/why-rape-jokes-are-uniquely-bad

Because apparently people need convincing as to why rape jokes are messed up.

I'm not reading your article. Yes I get it, you think you live on a different level to everyone else and you're much better than everyone else.

And frankly, I find some rape jokes funny. In the right context, to the right people, and definitely as jokes. Doesn't mean I am at all tolerant of rape, doesn't mean I don't realise some people will find them deeply offensive, doesn't mean I even tell rape jokes (or tolerant of all rape jokes, or all rape jokes at certain times and places). And I don't think that rape jokes are uniquely bad either, I think there are plenty of things that are equally vile topics that jokes can be made about.

But if you want to ask me to read that article without sounding as much of a prick as this post makes me sound, then I'll read it :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by pandabird
Of course it doesn't, but there's a link. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to dig through my uni notes tonight but I'll get back to you tomorrow.

A quick search though- http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1018868913615. No idea of the quality of the study though, I'm half asleep.

Actually, to add to this....

Again it might seem obvious, but are you aware of any data on whether these jokes have a causative effect in actually changing attitudes? Or are they just more prevalent or felt to be funnier in, um... 'unsavoury' societies...? (poor choice of language).

I.e. do they affect change, or just reflect attitudes.

I couldn't find anything on a brief webofscience search

No worries if you haven't the time or willing
Reply 44
Original post by hslt
I'm not reading your article. Yes I get it, you think you live on a different level to everyone else and you're much better than everyone else.

And frankly, I find some rape jokes funny. In the right context, to the right people, and definitely as jokes. Doesn't mean I am at all tolerant of rape, doesn't mean I don't realise some people will find them deeply offensive, doesn't mean I even tell rape jokes (or tolerant of all rape jokes, or all rape jokes at certain times and places). And I don't think that rape jokes are uniquely bad either, I think there are plenty of things that are equally vile topics that jokes can be made about.

But if you want to ask me to read that article without sounding as much of a prick as this post makes me sound, then I'll read it :smile:

Are you actually asking me to ask you to read an article about why rape jokes are sick nicely? You'll be waiting a very long time then.

You can either read that article, realise why what you're doing is wrong and that just because you don't intend on raping on anyone, doesn't mean it's not a reflection on you as a person, or you can remain complacent in your ignorance and try to justify joking about a horrific crime because of your own pride. The article actually directly addresses some of the extremely questionable comments you've made.

Your choice.

Either way, I would in no way ever want to be around a person who finds rape funny in any form.
Reply 45

You can either read that article, realise why what you're doing is wrong and that just because you don't intend on raping on anyone, doesn't mean it's not a reflection on you as a person, or you can remain complacent in your ignorance and try to justify joking about a horrific crime because of your own pride. The article actually directly addresses some of the extremely questionable comments you've made.

Your choice.

Either way, I would in no way ever want to be around a person who finds rape funny in any form.

Not nicely, I was just asking you not to make ridiculous pre-judgements.

What are the extremely questionable comments I have made?
Am i the only one who is not gullible enough to believe these "stats" . Dont get me wrong rape and sexual violence is bad but i dont think its as common as 1 in 5 women between 16-30 .
Groping on the other hand you might have a case . When i was young,girls used to get a booty pinch or a titty touch on the regs...Im sure there are a lot of girls out there who can agree that it was pretty normal for girls to get feeled up or their skirts pulled up in school
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by hslt
Not nicely, I was just asking you not to make ridiculous pre-judgements.

What are the extremely questionable comments I have made?

I said "people who need convincing as to why rape jokes are messed up." Apparently you do not, because you said they "can be funny."

Your general stance on defending rape jokes as a whole is very questionable, and your last post addressing me (including the above comment.)

If you're confused as to why, then like I said, read the article.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by theoferdinand
Am i the only one who is not gullible enough to believe these "stats" . Dont get me wrong rape and sexual violence is bad but i dont think its that common .

You're a guy, of course you don't.

Nor do a great number of male TSRians because it's an uncomfortable truth that indicates that feminists aren't just saying nasty, misandric things to make them feel bad.
Original post by slade p
1 in 5 women have experienced some form of sexual violence. so theres probably some girls on here who have experienced it. if you are one of those girls, would be much appreciated if you tell us the experiences you had to go through.

Why on Earth would it be much appreciated for a girl to tell us the details of any sexual violence she's encountered?
(edited 10 years ago)
Avoid the point completely to hurl an insult at the feminist.

Never would have expected that from you. :rolleyes:

Except you don't actually have a point. Rape jokes are simply one category of many used for their shock value. It is the shock value that makes it funny. Just like jokes about murder, dead babies, racism, paedophilia etc. These jokes are not a symptom of a society condoning or accepting these views, it is reinforcing the negative attitudes towards them. I know feminists are renowned for being humourless drones, so I doubt you'll grasp this. Humour is complex, multi-layered and multi-faceted. Hell, there is an entire genre of humour called anti-humour whose humour rests squarely on the jokes not being funny. Your analysis of rape jokes is shockingly poor.
Original post by slade p
In 2013, the Ministry of Justice (MoJ), Office for National Statistics (ONS) and Home Office released its first ever joint Official Statistics bulletin on sexual violence, entitled An Overview of Sexual Offending in England and Wales.
It reported that:

Approximately 85,000 women are raped on average in England and Wales every year

Over 400,000 women are sexually assaulted each year

1 in 5 women (aged 16 - 59) has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16.

shocking statistics. seems like britain is a rape/sexual assasults hungry society. its indicative of a pityfull broken britain,and this is just the reported rapes, shamefull.

Original post by slade p
lol if you cant provide a credible source then your just talking out of your backside. and anyway this is not about others, this is about britain.

like you did you mean?

Also wheres the stats on male rape?
Original post by silverbolt
like you did you mean?

But that's just guys raping guys. Feminists don't care about that, just like racists don't care about black on black crime.
85,000 women is 0.26% of women. It is disingenuous to quote a number without its percentage equivalent.

However, this does add up considerably over the entire cohort, especially considering that many rapes are unreported because they are committed in relationships, and points to an unacceptable "rape culture" which persists in Western society (I wouldn't imagine there is much variation between countries here, and "broken Britain" is a complete fallacy).

The best solution to a rape culture is continued education on what constitutes rape, how best women should protect themselves from it, and how it can only be proven if you go to the doctor immediately. A slicker, less intimidating reporting system ought to be put in place with close collaboration between doctors and police. In the long term, emancipation from the male gender role will stop male peer groups from fomenting bravado and bragging and other similar things.
Reply 54
Original post by silverbolt
like you did you mean?

rape on women is a more serious issue.
Reply 55

You've probably ruled yourself out of 90% of the population your age then!

You article does make some interesting points, I've already discussed with another less judgemental member of this conversation the most relevant point and hopefully they'll get back to me, the other relevant point would be if they wreally stopped women from discussing the subject.

But fundamentally I disagree with the idea that someone shouldn't be able to tell jokes about anything. Murder isn't taken lightly even though jokes are told about it, the same for paedophilia, for robbery, for assault. What is needed is a change in public opinion, not a censorship of a subject that reflects public opinion more than it changes it. Just because rape is a heinous crime that affects many (as the article states repeatedly), it doesn't mean that you can't talk or joke about it, it means society should be educated about it and THIS will affect the telling of jokes from the bottom upwards, but far more importantly THIS will actually affect rape statistics. (you can't seriously suggest that the censorship of rape jokes would have a meaningful effect).

There is nothing in that article that suggests to me that rape jokes are any worse than jokes about other heinous crimes (time and place dependent), there is lots of emotive language and talking about how many people are affected, but this is irrelevant (time and place dependent) as long as those talking about them use their common sense and common decency to avoid offending people. The only relevant parts are as above, whether they actually alter the frequency of crime, or the actions of society before/after the crime. Even then though, it is society that needs to change not the telling of these jokes.

Sorry for my earlier rudeness, was childish of me, but I rather felt you were being very high-horsey and rude also.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
The one thing I hate more than anti-fem threads on TSR: guy responses on rape threads.

Yea us guys will just wait outside, since this is clearly a women's only issue and should be dealt with by women, instead of an issue for society/everybody:rolleyes:
Reply 57
Original post by Algorithm69
Except you don't actually have a point. Rape jokes are simply one category of many used for their shock value. It is the shock value that makes it funny. Just like jokes about murder, dead babies, racism, paedophilia etc. These jokes are not a symptom of a society condoning or accepting these views, it is reinforcing the negative attitudes towards them. I know feminists are renowned for being humourless drones, so I doubt you'll grasp this. Humour is complex, multi-layered and multi-faceted. Hell, there is an entire genre of humour called anti-humour whose humour rests squarely on the jokes not being funny. Your analysis of rape jokes is shockingly poor.

What analysis/ point are we talking about? That rape isn't funny? Or that by allowing rape jokes a place in humour, we're letting potential rapists see it as something that's acceptable? Unfortunately, both are true, as much as you and many other men want to deny to justify yourselves and (yet again) throw in another poke at feminism. If I'm a "humourless drone" for thinking rape is not funny, then by all means I'm proud to be.

This article actually addresses what you've said:

Spoiler

Defending this with "oh humour is so complex" is a hilariously bad argument.
Reply 58
Original post by GrumpyCat
Yea us guys will just wait outside, since this is clearly a women's only issue and should be dealt with by women, instead of an issue for society/everybody:rolleyes:

Women certainly have more room to speak about it, but I'm referring to what they're saying, not that they're commenting at all.

Original post by hslt
You've probably ruled yourself out of 90% of the population your age then!

Another justification... a great deal of people find rape jokes completely unfunny and even offensive, not including survivors.

But fundamentally I disagree with the idea that someone shouldn't be able to tell jokes about anything. Murder isn't taken lightly even though jokes are told about it, the same for paedophilia, for robbery, for assault. What is needed is a change in public opinion, not a censorship of a subject that reflects public opinion more than it changes it. Just because rape is a heinous crime that affects many (as the article states repeatedly), it doesn't mean that you can't talk or joke about it

No, yeah.... it does. The victims really have the first and last say in this, not some teenage boy on COD who wants to make jokes in bad taste.

Even then though, it is society that needs to change not the telling of these jokes.

...I am so done with this website.
Original post by slade p
rape on women is a more serious issue.

only in a numerical sense is it greater

It does not make it a less serious issue.

Quick Reply

Latest