The Student Room Group

Has the removal of neg rep improved TSR?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kpwxx
In principle the idea of neg rep is fine but I don't think it ever worked properly in practice.

It was meant to be there to stop trolls and to show posters who make either factually incorrect posts or purposely rude or offensive posts for the sake of being rude/offensive.

However, trolls don't care about getting neg rep. So that purpose is void. And personally, having seen TSR before post rep, during and since the changes, I have not noticed any change in the number of troll posts. There always have been and always will be troll posts.

And someone's post having a negative reputation, or indeed the poster having an overall negative reputation, is no indication of any of the above (troll, incorrect or purposely rude). I found neg rep was more often used for simple disagreement with the opinion of the poster. For example, anyone who posted anything positive about the Twilight books or films was immediately massively neg repped. How is that a useful system?! Oh this person likes different literature to me, everyone should ignore everything they say on any topic. And the vast majority of opinions which were negged were of this vein, rather than anything really extreme or offensive. It is quite clear that being negged for posting an opinion is going to put some people off posting - particularly those who think their opinions are contrary to the most common views on TSR.

Due to the kind of rep described above neg rep couldn't be used as an indicator anyway, as you never know if the person is just a fan of Twilight, or posted an innocent thread asking about the rep system, and just got a neg storm. You have to take the post on face value anyway, so the neg rep contributed nothing.

As a prime example, this thread would look very different if neg rep was still here. Many people wouldn't want to post their opinions because those on the opposite side of the argument may neg them simply for disagreeing. It's completely contrary to the whole point of a discussion such as this.

xxx

Somebody give her a medal!
Original post by Architecture-er
Maybe giving new accounts an inability to accrue negative rep points for the first 2 weeks of joining, though their posts can still be negatively repped. This allows us to neg-and-forget trolls without scaring new users as much and immediately putting them into the red, since that's the most volatile moment for users. It allows them, however, to get an idea of what behaviour is and isn't accepted on the forums.

Straw poll

I agree with this being a good idea, when I was a newbie, I went straight into the red for the first few weeks and it was a bit wtf, but sticking around you quickly learn whats accepted and that you can't call people out on their opinions without a valid reasoning.
So yes, I'm behind your proposal!
Reply 62
Original post by Tai Ga
Oh no I understand that. I'm talking about those who put it in line with bullying. If people get so offended by a little thumbs down, then frankly I don't think they're fit to use the internet. God forbid they get confronted on youtube or something.

I totally agree with you! I think TSR have tightened up censorship/removed neg rep to ensure that TSR doesn't become like other social networking sites where bullying has been so prevalent that it has led to suicide attempts and such...HOWEVER, I too am of the opinion that whether your post gets a thumbs up or thumbs down will not be what makes people depressed, it's what people say to you. And I think the system for controlling what is actually said on TSR is already pretty good...SO WHY NO NEG REP :tongue:
You say that by removing neg you remove bullying. But instead of a neg you get increased replies where people make basic assumptions, calling you socially inept or 'white knights', nerds or just generally being rude. Now the people who make these claims and act like knobs have no fear of being negged. I'm sure most people prefer to be negged than has someone being rude towards them.

In my opinion the quality of posts have dramatically decreased too. The religion bashing has become tedious also.
(edited 10 years ago)
I quite like it without negs but tbh I think we've just changed between two different flawed systems. Ultimately I'd like to see it just changed to "like" and "dislike" buttons on posts or something of that nature rather than "pos" and "neg", and scrap rep power, rep score, and gems. It's that visible indicator of your overall rep stamped on every post you make that I think spoils it.
Reply 65
Original post by Dr. Django
I actually originally posted it in chat :tongue: I think a mod or someone must have moved it!

I understand your points, but I'm curious as to why seeing that someone disliked what you said would induce anxiety? In real life people tell you whether you're talking **** or not! Everyone doesn't just give you a thumbs up and a pat on the back and say "Good talk bro" everytime you speak :tongue:

Also, I think neg rep was a nice perk of TSR and made it a bit different; it's getting a bit too vanilla now

In real life, I get a whole bunch of anxiety when people tell me I'm talking ****, I mainly keep quiet irl for this reason! I hate thinking people are angry with me for various reasons, if it's friendly disagreement though I'm fine. Neg reps are ambiguous in the intent of the neg repper, so I always felt nervous with them.
Original post by Tai Ga
Oh no I understand that. I'm talking about those who put it in line with bullying. If people get so offended by a little thumbs down, then frankly I don't think they're fit to use the internet. God forbid they get confronted on youtube or something.

Ah!!!!
I think we sometimes forget there's students like at 14,15 years of age on here.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by kpwxx
In principle the idea of neg rep is fine but I don't think it ever worked properly in practice.

It was meant to be there to stop trolls and to show posters who make either factually incorrect posts or purposely rude or offensive posts for the sake of being rude/offensive.

However, trolls don't care about getting neg rep. So that purpose is void. And personally, having seen TSR before post rep, during and since the changes, I have not noticed any change in the number of troll posts. There always have been and always will be troll posts.

And someone's post having a negative reputation, or indeed the poster having an overall negative reputation, is no indication of any of the above (troll, incorrect or purposely rude). I found neg rep was more often used for simple disagreement with the opinion of the poster. For example, anyone who posted anything positive about the Twilight books or films was immediately massively neg repped. How is that a useful system?! Oh this person likes different literature to me, everyone should ignore everything they say on any topic. And the vast majority of opinions which were negged were of this vein, rather than anything really extreme or offensive. It is quite clear that being negged for posting an opinion is going to put some people off posting - particularly those who think their opinions are contrary to the most common views on TSR.

Due to the kind of rep described above neg rep couldn't be used as an indicator anyway, as you never know if the person is just a fan of Twilight, or posted an innocent thread asking about the rep system, and just got a neg storm. You have to take the post on face value anyway, so the neg rep contributed nothing.

As a prime example, this thread would look very different if neg rep was still here. Many people wouldn't want to post their opinions because those on the opposite side of the argument may neg them simply for disagreeing. It's completely contrary to the whole point of a discussion such as this.

xxx

Fair enough, even though I'm someone who has always kind of wanted neg rep back, your argument is very convincing and now I'm not so sure :/ It is true that often people were berated for the most innocent of posts; particularly for naive "am I good enough for x" posts... damn, now I don't know what to think.
Reply 68
Original post by carehow
In real life, I get a whole bunch of anxiety when people tell me I'm talking ****, I mainly keep quiet irl for this reason! I hate thinking people are angry with me for various reasons, if it's friendly disagreement though I'm fine. Neg reps are ambiguous in the intent of the neg repper, so I always felt nervous with them.

Fair enough! Would a system where feedback on the neg was given change your opinion? Or are you completely against its return?
Reply 69
Fair enough! Would a system where feedback on the neg was given change your opinion? Or are you completely against its return?

I'd be happy with a system where you'd be forced to give feedback with negs. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a troll and when the nep rep went, I'm now having a field day. I got -56 once on a single thread post.
Reply 71
Original post by carehow
I'd be happy with a system where you'd be forced to give feedback with negs. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! I think this is what should be adopted
Reply 72
Original post by Surrey Bubble15
I'm a troll and when the nep rep went, I'm now having a field day. I got -56 once on a single thread post.

So you're not one of those trolls that see their red gems as badges of honour then?

And I'm not a troll and on my prvious account I got -90 for one post haha
Reply 73
Original post by Potally_Tissed
I quite like it without negs but tbh I think we've just changed between two different flawed systems. Ultimately I'd like to see it just changed to "like" and "dislike" buttons on posts or something of that nature rather than "pos" and "neg", and scrap rep power, rep score, and gems. It's that visible indicator of your overall rep stamped on every post you make that I think spoils it.

Although I think that's a great idea, people will whine about that too for the sake of whining.
Original post by IDukem
Although I think that's a great idea, people will whine about that too for the sake of whining.

You can never please everyone.
I kind of see where you are coming from actually, when I first made an account (not this one), I made a really naive post asking if my GCSE's were good enough for a certain university and got about 60 negs haha! However, I still think the positives of neg rep far outweigh the negatives :smile:

I also agree that their should be some kind of feedback system in place! (I believe there used to be something like this :smile: )

I agree with you there, although to be honest I was still a bit of a novice when the negs got removed so I don't have much experience of them :tongue: But I definitely think there should be feedback.
TSR has been improved purely because there is now true freedom to say what you like, without anyone provoking you to do so otherwise; thus increasing the quality in posts and refecting the 'true' thoughts of fellow students alike.

If a better system is misused by trolls or through hurtful/controversial comments then the commenter is solely responsible. If the majority of TSR uses the new system for the benefits it provides, we will have a very truthful forum with rich discussions.

-Good 'ol GGX.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
A possibility could be to code-mod the forums for thread reputation. Then, like Reddit, threads which aren't contributing to TSR get buried under those that are. Both upvotes/downvotes could have some sort of impact on the OPs personal reputation.

Either way there's a fair bit of trolling on TSR at the moment and while it's difficult to go wrong with with positive reputation, negative reputation does have it's benefits and may need re-introducing. If only to highlight those that are browsing around trolling the forums.
Reply 78
Original post by Potally_Tissed
You can never please everyone.

Might as well please 66% of users then.
Original post by tehforum
Might as well please 66% of users then.

Not my call. And 66% of the votes on this poll is one thing, but when you consider that those 64 voters are a small fraction of 1% of the number of people who've posted on TSR in the last month, I could understand why someone wouldn't put a great deal of faith in the statistical significance of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending