The Student Room Group

Work Experience Year 12

I'm in year 12 and i want to study Economics in Uni. my a levels are Sociology, Business, Economics, EPQ.
i'm just wondering what & where people are doing their work experiences!!

i myself, haven't decided yet, but i'm going to email some the companies (Google, IBM, etc) myself to see if they do take work experiencers lol
feel free to post.. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hello,

Whilst I'm not and have never studied the subject's you are - I am a bit of a dab hand at Work Experience!

My word of warning would be that, whilst it's natural to apply to the 'top of the tree' as it were, many big companies like Google and IBM are unlikely to take Work Ex. pupils from year 12. They are more likely to offer internships for uni students etc.

What I've found is best (and what I advise most people to do) is look for local companies who work in that field. They are more likely to accept you (and more flexible) as well as giving you a better time at their business. By that I mean they will pay more interest in you, not just use you as a tea maid for the week!

Also, ensure you get a good range of work experience. You mention Google and IBM, both technology based firms. Contact companies with different connections to Economics.

Finally, make sure you have a strong letter to write to them, it'll make it more likely that you get a reply. (I think I still have a copy of mine kicking around, if you'd like an example).

Good Luck!
Reply 2
Im year 13, but i secured a work experience placement for a week at JP Morgan. Its fairly common for them to do this sort of thing. Though competition is very tough! (filled up after just 1 week!)
Original post by justanothertechie
Hello,

Whilst I'm not and have never studied the subject's you are - I am a bit of a dab hand at Work Experience!

My word of warning would be that, whilst it's natural to apply to the 'top of the tree' as it were, many big companies like Google and IBM are unlikely to take Work Ex. pupils from year 12. They are more likely to offer internships for uni students etc.

What I've found is best (and what I advise most people to do) is look for local companies who work in that field. They are more likely to accept you (and more flexible) as well as giving you a better time at their business. By that I mean they will pay more interest in you, not just use you as a tea maid for the week!

Also, ensure you get a good range of work experience. You mention Google and IBM, both technology based firms. Contact companies with different connections to Economics.

Finally, make sure you have a strong letter to write to them, it'll make it more likely that you get a reply. (I think I still have a copy of mine kicking around, if you'd like an example).

Good Luck!

Well, my school have partnered up with these companies for us sixth formers, and they plus others are willing to take up for work experience.. :smile:
In that case... you're very lucky!

Make sure you are giving them plenty to say 'Yes' to, as I said above, depending on how many people in your year group are going for it!
Get work experience - it will help you when applying for jobs or looking to get a better starting position after you graduate.
Original post by jennifer.tariah
I'm in year 12 and i want to study Economics in Uni. my a levels are Sociology, Business, Economics, EPQ.
i'm just wondering what & where people are doing their work experiences!!

i myself, haven't decided yet, but i'm going to email some the companies (Google, IBM, etc) myself to see if they do take work experiencers lol
feel free to post.. :smile:

Some of my peers who want to do economics are doing their work experience in banks like HSBC. Perhaps you can email the branch closest to you and see if they offer any shadowing opportunities?
Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ingridliu1015
Some of my peers who want to do economics are doing their work experience in banks like HSBC. Perhaps you can email the branch closest to you and see if they offer any shadowing opportunities?
Hope that helps :smile:

Many banks are willing to take students for work experience. I did my Year 10 work experience at NatWest.
Reply 8
Hey, Was it easy getting year 10 work experience in natwest? Im looking in to it and I dont know ill they'll take me on for 1 or 2 weeks
Reply 9
Hello,

Good Luck!

Hi there,

I know this is quite an old thread, but was have found myself in a similar position, and was wondering if you still have this old letter, that you could send to me!
Reply 10
Hello,

Good Luck!

Hi just reading your text above, any chance I could see an example of your strong letter please?
Original post by Monners2
Hi just reading your text above, any chance I could see an example of your strong letter please?

The OP hasn't posted in over 8 years, so I doubt they will see this.

Latest