The Student Room Group

Driving Lessons

Hi All

I am Mash. New to this forum. Just want to see what you all think about your driving instructors? And what do you think makes a good one

cheers
Original post by Dynamicdriving
Hi All

I am Mash. New to this forum. Just want to see what you all think about your driving instructors? And what do you think makes a good one

cheers

Hi Mash, welcome to TSR. :smile:
When I learnt to drive a couple of years ago I found having someone who was easy to talk to, and who wouldn't get annoyed if I made mistakes, was best.
Reply 2
Hi Andinet

Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes I fully agree with you as being patient can also develop the pupil.
Reply 3
Welcome mate! You joined a good forum, great people on here.

I had two instructors. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. What I like about my first one was how detailed and analytical he was. He really knew his stuff. When I made mistakes he'd be calm and composed - never got mad. He'd make sure I got each area covered right until we moved on. If I made a mistake he'd ask me if I knew what I did and how to correct it and he'd explain it with pictures and notes. He boosted my confidence on the road. The only bad thing I'd say is that he had a slow pace. Not massively slow but it was evident, especially with my second instructor being so detailed yet swift.

My second instructor was also really good. Even better I'd say in some areas. She, as said above was swift in her teachings. Not because she didn't care but because she wanted me to spend as little as I could. She at one point taught me 3 manoeuvres in one day to a great standard. She was detailed as well and had really useful graphics to show me how to do each manoeuvre or about general things. Another good point is that she was also passive and didn't get angry at my mistakes, though she would over exaggerate sometimes and say you would have failed your test there etc, which is useful anyway but she'd get concerned a lot if I made even one off mistakes too, understandable but something to note. She boosted my confidence even more and taught me different perspectives to my previous ones and was open about her life and what her students do on their test and lessons. Very useful as I could compare and learn from their mistakes. She definitely cared about my learning and the position I'm in as a student.

Well kinda babbled on but thought telling you a summary of what I learnt and experienced would help even more. The moral of the above is to look for an instructor that isn't just after your hard earned cash but understands and empathises with the position your in, the mistakes you make and you as a person. Don't be afraid to build conversation and make a relationship with your instructor. They pretty much have the success of your journey to a full licence in their hands. The way they treat you will make an impact on how you drive in the future. Ask questions if you think you need to know more. Not too sure about this one manoeuvre? Tell them that. Most of all though, look for the good and bad qualities my instructors had. If you ain't happy with the one you have? Dump them! Don't worry about how they feel as in the end of the day it's a business transaction in the end of the day and your future at stake.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending