The Student Room Group

So I went to PC World…..(Islam issue/question)

I went to a PC world branch today. I could not find theprices for some headphones so I walked to the part that you pay where there was4 staff members (3 sitting 1 standing), as I approached I noticed that one ofthe girls was wearing a headscarf (I could not see the rest of the bodies ofthe sitting people due to the desks in front of them being quite tall).

As I got closer I noticed that unlike ALL of the other staffmembers who were wearing a pink/red PC world shirt, see was just wearing long,baggy dark clothes and fluffy black Ugg like boots. Whilst the other members asI said were wearing pink shirts, black trousers and shoes.

Is it right that this staff member was seemingly allowed tonot abide by the uniform of the store?

As I understand it (feel free to correct me if I am wrong), Muslimwomen are supposed to cover their hair, not wear make-up and not wear tightclothes (to obscure the figure of the body), so I ask this, could the girl notwear a baggy PC World shirt, or even wear the shirt over the top of the clothesshe was wearing therefore the bagginess is still there?

So, TSR people, thoughts? Do you think that this is ok?

Scroll to see replies

If her colleagues and those above her are fine with it, I don't see the issue.
Reply 2
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
Is it right that this staff member was seemingly allowed tonot abide by the uniform of the store?

Surely thats for the store/company to decide and if you/other customers disagree you could take your business elsewhere.
I think that there are more pressing issues in this world and couldn't give two *****.
Original post by DivinityA
If her colleagues and those above her are fine with it, I don't see the issue.

So if you had to wear a uniform and a colleague just wore whateverthey feel like every day, you would have no problem with that?
So if you had to wear a uniform and a colleague just wore whateverthey feel like every day, you would have no problem with that?

As I said, if those above her are fine with it, what is the issue? She's clearly got permission to do so.
Reply 6
Could easily be another reason for it such as waiting on uniforms to be delivered ect. Beyond that who cares? Its an internal company issue

There could be any reason why she wasn't dressed the same. Dumb thread.
Reply 8
I went to a PC world branch today. I could not find theprices for some headphones so I walked to the part that you pay where there was4 staff members (3 sitting 1 standing), as I approached I noticed that one ofthe girls was wearing a headscarf (I could not see the rest of the bodies ofthe sitting people due to the desks in front of them being quite tall).

As I got closer I noticed that unlike ALL of the other staffmembers who were wearing a pink/red PC world shirt, see was just wearing long,baggy dark clothes and fluffy black Ugg like boots. Whilst the other members asI said were wearing pink shirts, black trousers and shoes.

As I understand it (feel free to correct me if I am wrong), Muslimwomen are supposed to cover their hair, not wear make-up and not wear tightclothes (to obscure the figure of the body), so I ask this, could the girl notwear a baggy PC World shirt, or even wear the shirt over the top of the clothesshe was wearing therefore the bagginess is still there?

So, TSR people, thoughts? Do you think that this is ok?

There was a thread about hospital staff not wearing sleeveless and making exceptions to their uniform. They are excepted for everything, the next exception will be making time for 4 prayers a day and not selling alcohol.

Their exceptions are the rule.
Original post by Wilfred Little
There could be any reason why she wasn't dressed the same. Dumb thread.

Such as what?
As I said, if those above her are fine with it, what is the issue? She's clearly got permission to do so.

You didn't answer my question.
Just another thread trying to cause tension over a total non-issue.
Such as what?

Original post by Aj12
Could easily be another reason for it such as waiting on uniforms to be delivered ect. Beyond that who cares? Its an internal company issue

You didn't answer my question.

Ok, then no I wouldn't have a problem. If it's fine with the manager/whatnot and she asked permission/had a reason to wear whatever, then why wouldn't I be fine with it?
thoze mozlims comin to our country and taking over. next fing u no we will have dat shreeeya law everywhere

If so, why did she not have to wear shoes? As far asI am aware, it is not against Islam to wear shoes.

Ok, then no I wouldn't have a problem. If it's fine with the manager/whatnot and she asked permission/had a reason to wear whatever, then why wouldn't I be fine with it?

So you are saying if management didn’t care what your colleaguewore but forced you to wear something you would have no problem with that?
If so, why did she not have to wear shoes? As far asI am aware, it is not against Islam to wear shoes.

Uggs are shoes.
So you are saying if management didn’t care what your colleaguewore but forced you to wear something you would have no problem with that?

Well of course if the management didn't want her wearing it/allow her to, then I'm sure she will have been told that, and dealt with accordingly.

I'm not sure why you're so intent on making an issue out of something that really is minor.
Uggs are shoes.

Disagree.

Well of course if the management didn't want her wearing it/allow her to, then I'm sure she will have been told that, and dealt with accordingly.

I'm not sure why you're so intent on making an issue out of something that really is minor.

So, if management in acompany you worked for said that everyone is getting a pay rise apart from you,you would have no issue with that?
There are two main issues which need to be addressed here.
Firstly, there is the legal aspect which you imply is the most pressing issue. However, legally if the company and employee both agree to a term, and it breaks no other legislation, it is legally ok. As per our situation here.

However, if you mean whether it should be law that Muslim women can wear these items of clothing then I think so. At least to cover the whole body is not necessary and does belong with Western Society; most would agree it appears quite threatening. Why we can't adapt a similar policy to France's restrictions on religious clothing is beyond me. Jews have similar laws relating to moedesty, and yet do not find it necessary to dress up in these full body, or similar, cover-ups. It was originally adapted as clothing to suit the warm Eastern climates and maintain modesty... Here long sleeves and a baggy T-shirt will do the trick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending