The Student Room Group

Friend bringing me down

I have a friend who suffers from depression, however sometimes it drains me. They have their ups and downs.Recently they have complained about everyone and everything. It seems like they only like me and their family and it means awkward conversation as they expect me not to like the same people they do. They also hate other people getting praise or attention at work. Yes, they don't get as much as they should but they are very bitter. Finally they just are constantly negative about everything and i try to ignore the comments but it's so hard. I'm constantly walking on egg shells.:frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have a friend who suffers from depression, however sometimes it drains me. They have their ups and downs.Recently they have complained about everyone and everything. It seems like they only like me and their family and it means awkward conversation as they expect me not to like the same people they do. They also hate other people getting praise or attention at work. Yes, they don't get as much as they should but they are very bitter. Finally they just are constantly negative about everything and i try to ignore the comments but it's so hard. I'm constantly walking on egg shells.:frown:

Talk to them about it. Depression is not easy but nor does it warrant making it difficult for others for no good reason.
Original post by Anonymous

im the type of person where when others are negative, it drains me of all my energy, because i put everything i have into being positive towards them- giving them motivational talks/advice etc, so that by the end of it i feel drained of any positivity i have.

so maybe you could try giving/being there, but not giving too much so that youre left feeling down yourself?

or try to set up boundaries where their behaviour and emotions arent going to enter into your 'happiness'. make it separate from you, it talks a lot of work but you have to build a 'wall' to prevent it from effecting you so much.

alternatively you could try talking to them, but anything you say will most likely be heard by them as a criticism, so theyll obviously react defensively and think youre attacking them, so you have to watch how you word things and make sure you still get your point across, because how you feel is important too.
I would talk to them and tell them how you feel.
If she is severely depressed she might want to think about going to counselling,as there is only so much you can take. However, sometimes when im anxious/feel down i would rant about things that are bothering me, but i just expect the person to listen. However, it sounds like shes really jealous,which would be hard to take
One of the difficulties with depression (and mental illnesses in general) is that they can make the sufferer very unpleasant to be around and quite draining for other people. Just remember - your friend cannot help having such an incredibly negative mindset, and it is difficult with her illness to find motivation to act positive when she feels the way she does. Is she getting medical help for her illness?
Reply 6
Sometimes you have to move away, because when it starts bringing you down, it's un-healthy for yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending