The Student Room Group

Thinking about dropping out

I will justgo straight to the questions, which concern quitting a course:
*How easyis it to be re-admitted to uni once you have dropped out of a degree? If Iwould, let’s say, take a gap year and then re-apply to another university thanI originally was at.

Here aresome basic facts:
I’mcurrently at a Russel Group uni, studying a Social Science degree.
I am notfrom the UK
I achieved relativelywell in Sixth Form college and my grades that I got in my home country would, Ithink, be equivalent to AAB. I alsoreceived two grants from my college for my academic achievements. I mentionthis in case it will impact my chances of being re-admitted.

Thank youfor reading J

Reply 1

How far into your degree are you? Are you planning to continue to study in the UK or apply to uni in your own country? Will you change subjects or stick with the same?

(edited 10 years ago)
Hello!

1. I've done about half a year of my degree. I know that does not seem as much, but I'm feeling really unsure about it and have done it since I started and even before that. 2. Definitely planning on staying in the UK as I enjoy it so much. I was hoping to be able to be admitted into a Scottish university as that would cut my tuition fees quite substantially. I realise that might be tough though - I was not admitted into any Scottish uni last time, even though I applied to two. I won't stick with my subject if I drop out, that's one of the main reasons I want to drop out. The subject seems pointless as I think it won't be useful for what I want to do with my future (although I'm not completely sure about what that means either - I just know my degree is not useful enough), There are moments when I enjoy my subject, though, I have to confess - but I know I could enjoy myself more with another subject plus having that added bonus of the degree being useful or applicable to a greater extent.
Reply 3
Just be very cautious about dropping out. You're already at a Russell Group university - there's no point dropping out if you can't take a step up to something better, and your point about cost-saving isn't going to be a winner if you end up having to do four more years at a Scottish uni having wasted a year already. In the new year, call some of the universities you would ideally like to be at, and talk to them about how achievable it would be to transfer and what you would need to do.

Before you make any final decisions perhaps also talk to your personal tutor or a counsellor at your uni's SU about why you are feeling as though your current subject choice is pointless.
Thanks for your answer!

I can really understand your point of view and I do agree on that you need to be cautious when making a decision such as this, as it is not reversible. However, I cannot see my point staying at a university and in a course for three years not enjoying myself just to get a nicely paid job in the end. While the latter is of course of some significance for me, it is not the most important one. I want to do what feels right and enjoy myself now - I've already spent 12 years not being able to decide over my life (being in compulsory education). In my home country, I would say taking a gap year is the norm. I just find myself jealous of my former classmates when I read about their adventures around the world. Funnily enough, my achievement sometimes don't feel like anything compared to theirs - although I know that on some level I should be proud, as I got a place at a well-ranked uni in England. I guess that dropping out can be seen as more or less risky depending on what you want with your future in the end - and I don't claim that any perspective is superior to the other.

I don't see either that I have wasted a year as I have gotten lots of friends, learnt some useful things at least etc. I do agree on that four additional years is a bit too much. But perhaps it's worth it in order to cut the costs with more than half. The economic factor - spending an enormous amount of money on something that may end up in a job I don't want to do and which I don't consider interesting - is also something which makes me consider dropping out.

But thanks very much for your advice. I will think about it a bit more and then go to my tutor.

P.S. I'm doing Anthropology and I am virtually surrounded by people that have done interesting things between high school and uni. Perhaps I just have some sort of crisis or something. I'm king of afraid having a really awkward chat with my personal tutor. Is there anyone else you can go and see at the university and talk about such things?
Reply 5
There is nothing to stop you doing 'interesting' things both during your degree and in the summer holidays. For example between my 1st and 2nd year I backpacked around the world and spent 3 months in the USA, New Zealand and Australia, obtaining shadowing work experience as I went. You can travel for a year at the end of your degree if you like, and - having been away from home for 3 years already - you may find yourself more emotionally able to cope with it plus your degree may enable you to work while you do it.

Anthropology is wide-ranging so I'm sure you'll find that as you progress beyond the compulsory subjects you will be able to tailor your degree to your own interests. You also don't need to be too concerned that it isn't vocational - most graduate jobs aren't subject-specific after all. But if you really can't bear anthropology, have you thought about possibly switching degrees but remaining at your current university, instead of dropping out altogether? That would enable you to stick with the friends that you have made.

I know the discussion is going to be awkward, but you need to have it so that somebody who knows the degree can give you a bit of reassurance about what the rest of the course will be like for you if you decide to stick it out. If not your personal tutor then try (1) a friendly lecturer who isn't your personal tutor but whose opinion you respect; or (2) a counsellor at your student union.
Thanks for your response again! I think you made some really great points that did not occur to me before. I realised I had looked at in a kind of 'black-and-white"-way.

I have some further questions, though:

1. When you backpacked around the world, did you do it during the Summer holidays?

2. I've really given that switching degree at my current uni a think. If I would do so, do you know if I could just start my new degree directly after the Summer Holidays (to avoid going on a gap year without any plans in between)? Could I start the 2nd year if I switched? I still feel like Anthropology is wasting my life in a way - it's not really what I'm good at. But then I don't really know what I'm good at. I've studied about 6 languages (and I find it relatively easy to get new languages), but I've already tried a joint degree in Linguistics and Soc. Anth and hated the former which resulted in me dropping it. Sociology does not appeal to me. Archaeology is not the direction I want to head in. I've been thinking a bit about Psychology, as the only thing I've been saying all my life is "I want to work with people". So... getting to the issue (sorry for rambling).... do you think it would be easy to switch from a Social Anthropology degree to Psychology? I realised it might be hard for you to answer, but should the degree you switch to ideally be similar?
Reply 7
Original post by SilverPenguin777
Thanks for your response again! I think you made some really great points that did not occur to me before. I realised I had looked at in a kind of 'black-and-white"-way.

I have some further questions, though:

1. When you backpacked around the world, did you do it during the Summer holidays?

Yes I did. It was the longest period I had available.

2. I've really given that switching degree at my current uni a think. If I would do so, do you know if I could just start my new degree directly after the Summer Holidays (to avoid going on a gap year without any plans in between)?

Yes probably, if you organise it now with your university.

Could I start the 2nd year if I switched?

I doubt it, but only your university can answer this. If there is crossover between the modules then you might be able to count some of what you have done so far.

I still feel like Anthropology is wasting my life in a way - it's not really what I'm good at. But then I don't really know what I'm good at. I've studied about 6 languages (and I find it relatively easy to get new languages), but I've already tried a joint degree in Linguistics and Soc. Anth and hated the former which resulted in me dropping it. Sociology does not appeal to me. Archaeology is not the direction I want to head in. I've been thinking a bit about Psychology, as the only thing I've been saying all my life is "I want to work with people". So... getting to the issue (sorry for rambling).... do you think it would be easy to switch from a Social Anthropology degree to Psychology? I realised it might be hard for you to answer, but should the degree you switch to ideally be similar?

Sorry, I really don't know. This is something best discussed with your university tutor or counsellor. Given you really don't seem to know what you want to do, does your uni do a Liberal Arts degree perhaps? That way you could do a degree that picks and chooses cross-subject modules a bit more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending