The Student Room Group

Architecture Gap Year

:smile:What could i do in a gap year before university?

where should i go, and what should i do when there?

i want to travel to look at architecture around the world, and build up my own projects to create a portfolio and my own experiences.

Even though it is two years away, any thoughts? Suggestions? Etc

Reply 1
start keeping a sketch journal. travelling is great for exploring architecture from other cultures, but equally, it's not essential, there's architecture all around you so you could start a sketch journal now and add to it on your travels :smile: just draw anything which interests you (not necessarily architectural), it'll help improve your drawing and observation skills. it'll also give you ahead start as i imagine all architecture schools will encourage their students to keep one throughout their degree. drawing isn't just a tool for presenting your ideas to others, but also helping you to understand architecture- whether it be the work of others or your own- because it forces you to look in further detail than simply taking a photo or just looking. most of all have fun with it, part 1 of architecture school is your time to be creative :smile: theres plenty of examples of what I'm talking about if you have a search on google :smile:

i honestly don't feel you need to worry about doing anything but if you want to develop your passion and skills id advise this, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest