The Student Room Group

The pill and weight gain/loss

I was just reading the stickied thread on contraception and i'm going to start taking the pill.
However it mentions weight changes. Does this mean weight gain or weight loss?? And also how likely is this?
Also I have really bad acne. How effective has the pill been on your spots if you get them? They are supposed to reduce spots but how long does it take to start working?
Thanks x x
I take the pill and have had no change in weight or spots - I think it can differ depending on the brand and the individual person. Ask your doctor.

Sarah x
it does differ from one person to another. but if your skin is bad then you may want to consider dianette which takes about 5 months to take effect but then many women have problems with it as they put on weight.

theres no miricle pill that will both improve skin and help weight but its a matter of trial and error tbh, its hard to pinpoint what will work for you. but many pill increase your appitite not actual weight, so maybe watching what you eat may help. but overall dianette or yasmine are considered best for skin.
I have been on the pill nearly 3 months and i was really worried about the weight changes. I am on microgynon 30 which i have noticed nothing about spots and i had a little weight loss that is it. I wouldn't worry too much and as Sazarina88 says it depends on the brand and the person. If you notice some changes then you can always change the brand. Get advice from the doctor. If you have spots then tell the doctor and they will give you the pill that helps with spot.
Reply 4
Ive never put any weight on from the pill and Ive been on it for about 7 years. You just need to make sure you have a good diet and exercise routine alongside your medication.

Even if you do have problems, your GP can put you on a different pill.
Anonymous
I have been on the pill nearly 3 months and i was really worried about the weight changes. I am on microgynon 30 which i have noticed nothing about spots and i had a little weight loss that is it. I wouldn't worry too much and as Sazarina88 says it depends on the brand and the person. If you notice some changes then you can always change the brand. Get advice from the doctor. If you have spots then tell the doctor and they will give you the pill that helps with spot.

i only use to have a few mild spots until i went on microgynon 30 and then all the problems started after about 6 months. my doctor said that pill is well known for triggering skin problems.
Reply 6
guccilittlepiggy
i only use to have a few mild spots until i went on microgynon 30 and then all the problems started after about 6 months. my doctor said that pill is well known for triggering skin problems.

Weird, since I've been on Microgynon 30 my skin has been nice and clear (amazing compared to the crater-face I was before!)
I was put on Mercilon which is supposed to help with spots. It did clear up my face. I did put on some weight, but not a hugely noticeable amount (except on my boobs- gone up a cup size :P)
Reply 8
Ive found that with dianette it has made it easier for me to put on weight so where as before i ate what i wanted and there wasnt any weight gain, now i seem to put alot on. However if u eat relatively healthy then it shudnt be a problem which is why im cutting alot of crap out of my diet. I was on dianette a year or so ago and it did seem to clear up my skin however since i restarted it again after being off it for six months ive not seen a huge effect. In fact ive had alot of side effects on the second run of it then i had my first time around....weird. anways different pills work differently for different people so what works for one will not neccisarily work for another. So talk to your Gp about what is right for you.
ive noticed weight gain on 'femodette' and im not likin it:frown:hard to get shifted
Reply 10
have a look on this site, it gives you some descriptions and effects of different pills.. also tells you about their effect on skin and weight if there is one.

http://www.by-choice-not-chance.com/en/pages/00/03/c_00_03_01_00.php

i personally am taking valette, it has made my skin very clear and healthy and i've had no weight gain but a few of my friends have had a huge increase in apetite. but if you have a healthy diet you don't need to worry about that

Latest