The Student Room Group

Do you consider your pets to be part of the family?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yasmin25
Haha well most likely I'm not your cousin :tongue:

Her name isn't Yasmin for one thing which I assume yours is... And she lives in America which I assume you don't... So yeah it's unlikely :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Cats_01.jpgMy day has been made! My fellow crazy cat lady maw got me a 'from the cats' Mothers Day card and put in a cheeky wee £20 note :tongue:
Reply 82
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 83
Absolutely, without a question of a doubt. My dog is my life, he's more than just a pet. Others with pets that they love will understand.
I do. I have 3 cats and a Yorkie and I honestly do count them as family members and also as my best friends too.

One of my cats recently had a cancer scare (got the results back today, thankfully all his cysts are benign and his bloodwork was perfect) and before we got his results I was a nervous wreck and worried sick and the thought of anything happening to him or any of my other pets, honestly brought a tear to my eye and made my heart and stomach drop.

A lot of my friends say they feel the exact same way about their pets but I was surprised to hear that a lot don't feel that connected with their pets and do care about them but see them as an 'ornament' around the house or just something that is there.

I have 2 cats and a cockatiel (and 1 hamster, but he's technically my sistesr) and I love them with all my heart. I can relate to your situation so much. Before Christmas my youngest cat was run over - she was only 1 and the prognosis was terrible. Many times I was told to put her to sleep because there was no hope she would get better, but I could not bring myself to do it. I was determined not to give up on her, I tried to have faith that she would fight for her life. All the time she was in the hospital, I could not eat, I cried constantly. I felt I was going to lose a part of myself. Not only was the stress of not knowing if she would get better horrendous, I also had to worry about the financial side of it. When it happened initially, I could not find any vet that would give me a payment plan - it was only due to my friend in Leicester (who has 14 cats) that I was able to have her treated. Ragdoll (my cat) was listed under her name and because of her loyalty to the vets, I was able to pay in instalments. A couple of my friends (and some total strangers!) donated £500 towards her treatment, something which restored my faith in humanity incredibly. Over 3 months later and £2.5k lighter, Ragdoll has made a full recovery (although she now has no tail and looks like a little white bunny). I am still paying off her vet bills, and it has pushed me back in terms of saving up for a house, etc, but it has all been worth it to see her happy and well again. I spoke to one of the vet receptionists afterwards who told me about a cat they had seen not too long ago who had suffered the same injuries, but the owners chose to put the cat to sleep. It made me wonder how many owners choose euthanasia when their animals may have made a complete recovery had they been given the chance.

Sorry for that little mini essay, but my animals are my life. I believe they deserve as much as any human.
I'm sorry to say but my wee fighter, Mylo, who a lot of you know hasn't been too well lately, had to be put to sleep today. After all they finally discovered he had aggressive tumour and would have no doubt been in pain. We're going to bury him out the back door at my mum's, where he was forever lurking about. Everyone do me a favour, snug your pets extra tight tonight in memory of Mylo.

I'm absolutely heartbroken :frown: 315498_2186844823481_684739401_n.jpg

So sorry Yasmin, that must be so hard. Hugs to you in this difficult time xxx
Reply 86
Original post by XxSophie01xX
So sorry Yasmin, that must be so hard. Hugs to you in this difficult time xxx

Thanks. It happened over a month ago but I'm still heartbroken over it :frown: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. It happened over a month ago but I'm still heartbroken over it :frown: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

<3 I would be exactly the same. Just remember though, your cat is having a blast with all the other cats at rainbow bridge, and he is no longer suffering.
Reply 88
I kinda hate to admit this, but I love my cats way too much. It's not even normal how much I talk to them.
I need help.
Reply 89
I have no shame in admitting I talk to my cats like they are humans a lot of the time. When I have a panic attack I sit and talk to mycats to calm down.
Reply 90
Well I have two cats and one of them is a proper bastard so no, I don't consider him a part of the family....well I suppose I am being a bit too hard on the little **** :rolleyes:
I've got two male cats (Smudge and Stewie- yes, he WAS named after the Family Guy baby as he's a naughty, sly genius!) who are definitely part of the family. Love them both to the moon and back!

I also volunteer at two local wildlife parks (Howletts and Port Lympne, owned by the same charity, the Aspinall Foundation), and I'm getting very attached to the animals, learning all of their individual names, stories and personalities, so I could consider them my 'pets' (and so, family), too! :tongue:
Reply 92
Original post by ChemicalBond
I've got two male cats (Smudge and Stewie- yes, he WAS named after the Family Guy baby as he's a naughty, sly genius!) who are definitely part of the family. Love them both to the moon and back!

I also volunteer at two local wildlife parks (Howletts and Port Lympne, owned by the same charity, the Aspinall Foundation), and I'm getting very attached to the animals, learning all of their individual names, stories and personalities, so I could consider them my 'pets' (and so, family), too! :tongue:

Aww I love why you called one of your cats Stewie :tongue:

One of my cats is called Rambo and not because he is a muscly, big, hunky hero...

but because he is the biggest scaredy cat you will ever meet, doesn't walk the length of himself and he is chubby. The irony of his name works well :tongue:
Yes I do have pets and I ove my pets ,Yes i feel them like family
Reply 94
Of course. My mum has two dogs (golden retrievers) and they're definitely a part of the family. They seem intuitively aware of when one of us is sad, as they will then just randomly come up to you, sit down and rest their had on your knee. Never fails to cheer us up.
Yep, I love my big fluffy tabby :smile:
Yep and the pets are usually as weird and as messed up as the rest of us.
Reply 97
Its really nice to hear so many people regard their parts as part of the family :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Here's me and Toby at Mylo's wee memorial yesterday. Still missing my wee Mylo so much :frown: he really was a big part of the family, just like the rest of my pets.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Well i also love my pets, i seriously feel them like my babies.

Quick Reply

Latest