The Student Room Group

I'm unsure what to pick as my fourth A level at college?

I've decided to take: English Literature, Classic Civilisation, Early Modern History. However, I am unsure whether to pick Law, Philosophy or Drama for my fourth A level subject. The real problem is I have no certain idea of what I want to do at university after college. I was thinking of maybe doing an English and History degree or exploring a completely different avenue which would entail taking on a Musical theatre course at Uni, maybe at a place like Bird. But I don't want to do a music theatre BTEC prior to doing that (if that becomes my decision) and I do a lot of musical activities as extra curriculum currently to make up for that. I basically want a good set of A levels to ground me and open up many avenues in my life, that look good to universities and most importantly I will enjoy! Was wondering if anyone has taken any of these subjects could advise me on them please?
Original post by poppyxo
I've decided to take: English Literature, Classic Civilisation, Early Modern History. However, I am unsure whether to pick Law, Philosophy or Drama for my fourth A level subject. The real problem is I have no certain idea of what I want to do at university after college. I was thinking of maybe doing an English and History degree or exploring a completely different avenue which would entail taking on a Musical theatre course at Uni, maybe at a place like Bird. But I don't want to do a music theatre BTEC prior to doing that (if that becomes my decision) and I do a lot of musical activities as extra curriculum currently to make up for that. I basically want a good set of A levels to ground me and open up many avenues in my life, that look good to universities and most importantly I will enjoy! Was wondering if anyone has taken any of these subjects could advise me on them please?

I would pick philosophy, as that would go well with your other subjects and you would be able to go on to do any of your chosen uni courses with that.
Reply 2
Original post by Emma:-)
I would pick philosophy, as that would go well with your other subjects and you would be able to go on to do any of your chosen uni courses with that.

Thank you, have you or are you currently taking philosophy at A level? If so, do you enjoy it?
If it was me, I'd go for philosophy because it compliments your other subjects and it would open up your options a bit more - as Emma said, it would allow you to do any of your chosen courses :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
The three A levels you have already decided upon are well regarded for most arts/humanities courses at most universities, so if you wanted to take a more creative subject as your fourth that shouldn't prevent you from applying where you want for an English or History degree (depending on grades of course).

I would choose the A level that you think you will enjoy most. Good luck :smile:
Original post by poppyxo
Thank you, have you or are you currently taking philosophy at A level? If so, do you enjoy it?

No, i didnt take it myself, so i cant really comment on how enjoyable, easy/hard it is.

Quick Reply

Latest