The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

it may sound snobbish, but indian families would look down on marrying a pakistani and prob disown the son. i have heard the odd stories of very wealthy/successful pakistani males marrying indian muslims, but the otherway round is less likely. im fairly sure sikhs arnt allowed to marry a practicing muslim, and many indians would never even consider converting to islam , and they would want the hassle of dealing with having to deal an islamic family on the otherside, so that pretty much haults proceedings anyway.
Its more of an issue of religion, and of course people have brought up to hate India or Pakistan if you grow up in one of those countries. So perhaps that makes a potential relationship difficult considering parents.

So stupid though, we're the same people, separated by an imaginary broder
Original post by Noor90
Hahaha what a rebel :tongue: I know Sikhs and Hindus who are like "if I brought home a Muslim girl, my parents would have a heart attack". Sound like yours?

Hmm, if your family is Sikh, they may not listen to you, but surely, they must listen to the Gurus, right?

"O Nanak, one who realizes the Shabad does not act in egotism."

Ouch! But surely, you must have some say in the matter? I was expected to have an 'arranged' marriage as well, but I would still have had the final say. Like my parents would bring someone over and I would decide if I wanted to marry them or not. Do you? Or are you expected to marry the first person they choose?

Yes, I still live with them. According to my parents, 'good', unmarried girls are not supposed to leave home to live on their own :rolleyes:

Oooo. Not sure my parents will agree with your parents on 'good' unmarried girls living alone. My parents can't wait till I move out for university. They want the house to themselves but they would have to put up with my brother for another 4 years! I'll be 40 minutes away and for 2nd year onwards I'll be living at home. Hahaha they'll never get rid of me until I get married and that ain't gonna happen until I say so.
Indian Sikhs and Hindus can marry each other as well as christians, buddhists, jew, but not muslim. it is seen as not a good thing - i guess only if she was not obsessivly islamically indoctrinated. i have heard of an indian guy who married a nice turkish girl who was very modern and intelligent
Original post by bluebubblegum
This is just completely messed up.

you must be talking from an english perspective where you have only really been dealing with islamic problems for the last 15 years - south asia has been dealing with these problems for last 400 years so it is more advanced in its segregation
Reply 165
Original post by Anonymous
Like the title says would you (Indian/south-asian guys) date and be in a serious/committed relationship a westernised non-religious British Pakistani girl, i.e. someone who goes out/drinks, is open to relationships? Why and why not?

See I've met a couple of nice guys over the past few of weeks who just so happened to all be Indian, and during the initial getting to know each other phase (not necessarily in a romantic setting but could possibly lead to it) we get along seemingly well until I mention I'm Pakistani after which I've noticed a lot of guys seem a tad disappointed/turned-off or tone down the friendliness/flirtatiousness completely :s-smilie: One guy even once jokingly mentioned how he could never introduce me to his parents because of my ethnicity :/

I mean sure they're perfectly entitled to their own preferences and that any guy worth his salt would see past this and see me for me but i dunno... it's kind of annoying that I don't get a chance to show the real me without being lumped with the stereotypes of being Pakistani (which is what I'm assuming is happening here often). Also I seem to be solely attracted to asian guys of which the majority happen to be indian...

Thoughts TSR?

Single Muslim.com? Why dont we set up a dating site on here for us lot? I had my eye on some of these mods :wink:
Original post by PurpleGhost25175
What about your girlfriend?

I don't have one right now :tongue:
Original post by TheBBQ
I don't have one right now :tongue:

Oh right. I am sorry. I must have misread something. :frown:
Original post by PurpleGhost25175
Oh right. I am sorry. I must have misread something. :frown:

It's fine, no worries :smile:
Original post by TheBBQ
It's fine, no worries :smile:

Don't lie, I know you've got 4 girlfriends :unimpressed:

Spoiler

Original post by Loafing.Charizard
Don't lie, I know you've got 4 girlfriends :unimpressed:

Spoiler

Lmao shhhhhh :mmm:
As an Tamil Indian Christian who grew up in Mumbai, my parents are pretty liberal in the sense that I can marry a non-Tamil, Hindu, Buddhist, Jain etc. But Muslim is a strict no-no. Even personally, it takes more effort to date a Muslim girl. Considering that even the few Muslim+other religion marriages have usually ended up either in honor killing or conversion, most other communities in India tend to keep Muslims at an arm's distance. Probably this is what is affecting them.
Original post by Anonymous
it may sound snobbish, but indian families would look down on marrying a pakistani and prob disown the son. i have heard the odd stories of very wealthy/successful pakistani males marrying indian muslims, but the otherway round is less likely. im fairly sure sikhs arnt allowed to marry a practicing muslim, and many indians would never even consider converting to islam , and they would want the hassle of dealing with having to deal an islamic family on the otherside, so that pretty much haults proceedings anyway.

In all honesty, from my experiences as a Pakistani guy, I've been treated like the forbidden fruit for Indian girls. I've dated a few and I've generally had the most racial issues from the Gujarati parents than anything else. The girls truly were great people but the families just weren't going to have any part in it. I've tried to make things work with Pakistani girls I've met but the "I'm hot ****" factor is a killer. I even dated a British Pakistani girl here but things didn't work out cause her parents wanted me to relocate to England and I just can't at the moment. So far I'll take Brit Paki over American Paki any day. I'm in the US now and what I see of Indian guys dying over Pakistani girls that won't even give them the time of day while Pakistani guys go around just screwing over Indian girls that are in love with them, so mean and give us good ones a terrible rep. Pakistani guys are labeled as man whores here. Any update on how things went for you so far?
My grandmothers boyfriend is indian and she’s Pakistani
date in secret - yes. or if they have an open minded family

but in public, no. unless they want WWIII to break out
Original post by Sohail123333
My grandmothers boyfriend is indian and she’s Pakistani

your pakistani grandma has a boyfriend? wow...
Original post by goggleyed
your pakistani grandma has a boyfriend? wow...
yeh hes indian thou
I am gonna make some points here ,

1st --- I guess u meet stereotype who kind of like to run traditions of hating pakistani (Yes there are some people ), but if you meet people like me who are more likely to talk with anyone and go out with anyone (**** religion and race) then you would have probably felt different.

2nd -- We indian are kind of scared of Muslim parents , many might be feel the same way .

3rd--- Stay away from those who behave like this otherwis u will fell that u lack something which is other way around .

4th-- Religions are for Humans and Humans are not for religions.

5th --- Find some one who share same thinking ond ideology like you (U may find the same with white people )
Reply 178
I wouldn't mind it cause about half of Pakistan shares my ethnicity, but it's the religion that puts me off and their dads/brothers that I'm scared of lol.
Original post by ts4224
I wouldn't mind it cause about half of Pakistan shares my ethnicity, but it's the that puts me off and their dads/brothers that I'm scared of lol.

Same but their dads or brothers I can probably deal with if they try to harm me.

Latest

Trending

Trending