The Student Room Group

Not sure on A Levels

I'm applying for another school as well as the school i'm currently at and the subjects I want to do, I can't all do because of option blocks :-(

I want to do; government and politics, english lit, french and philosophy however due to the option blocks I can't do politics and philosophy together unless I don't do french (which I really want to take). Also none of the subjects out of these 4 are in block B which means I will have to pick something else instead (I want to do one from either psychology, sociology history, or media). So what I want to know is:

which 2 subjects should I do out of: politics, french and philosophy

and which subject from block B should I do?

I want to study journalism as a degree :smile:

Thanks for your help - I'm midway through an application so any help is fabulous
Reply 1
Original post by Lottie_
I'm applying for another school as well as the school i'm currently at and the subjects I want to do, I can't all do because of option blocks :-(

I want to do; government and politics, english lit, french and philosophy however due to the option blocks I can't do politics and philosophy together unless I don't do french (which I really want to take). Also none of the subjects out of these 4 are in block B which means I will have to pick something else instead (I want to do one from either psychology, sociology history, or media). So what I want to know is:

which 2 subjects should I do out of: politics, french and philosophy

and which subject from block B should I do?

I want to study journalism as a degree :smile:

Thanks for your help - I'm midway through an application so any help is fabulous

The first thing you need to do is check what universities say is required for Journalism and then pick your subjects according to that. If your school does not provide all the subjects it would be better for you to go to a school that does :o:o
Reply 2
Original post by fantagurl
The first thing you need to do is check what universities say is required for Journalism and then pick your subjects according to that. If your school does not provide all the subjects it would be better for you to go to a school that does :o:o

sorry I don't think you understood my question I know I'm quite bad at explaining haha:-). I have already looked at universities and what is required but a lot of them aren't too strict as long as you have English and humanities based subjects. I was talking about a different school to my own that has all the subjects but won't let me take them all because of option blocks :frown:
Reply 3
i've just started year 12 and i do history, french, sociology and media so i may be of some assistance. French AS level is basically learning vocab and grammar, instead of having coursework writing and speaking exams (where you can memorise everything before) you have a reading, listening and writing exam all in one and a separate speaking one. Honestly, history is really hard and depending on what topics your school/college do it's boring. We do british imperial and foreign policy which is literally like watching paint dry and we do USA in the cold war in Asia which is basically similar to Vietnam! Sociology is very interesting but it's a lot of remember people's names and what certain sociological theorist thing of certain in things and a lot of dates you have to remember. Media is the subject i enjoy the most 50% coursework, we get make a music magazine and the other 50% is on TV drama's which is very analytical
hope this helped-ish

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending