The Student Room Group

What A-levels for a university course in Physics & Philosophy?

I am currently planning on going to university to do Physics & Philosophy, not sure which university yet but I have a few in mind that have good departments and the right course, but for a Physics & Philosophy degree should I go for Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Religious Ethics and Philosophy? (We don't do an A-level in just Philosophy at my school). I want to become a professor at a university - when I finish the course and hopefully a PhD - in Physics/Maths and Philosophy, as I am passionate about all of the above subjects. Thanks in advance.
You simply need to check the admissions requirements for each course (they will be different) on each University website.

As one example - KCL - A levels AAA/A*AB, Compulsory subjects, Either AAA (including Mathematics and Physics) or A*AB (with the A* and A in Mathematics and Physics or vice versa).

You might also be interested in a 4 year degree in Arts & Sciences a Birmingham (with a Year Abroad) -
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/liberal-arts-and-sciences/index.aspx

PS.I suggest you do not mention your rather gauche ambition of being a Professor on your UCAS form - highly presumptuous (and naive).
Reply 2
Ok, thanks returnmigrant :smile: And a professor is all I have ever wanted to be for a long period of time, because I keep flicking back and forth from what I want to be: a doctor, an engineer, in politics, lawyer, but I think the professor stands out to me the most, so that's what I'm going to work towards. But I won't put it in the UCAS form. :smile:
Reply 3
The 4 subjects you said sound good for Physics and Philosophy. Try to do quite a few mechanics modules in Maths if you can though, it'll really help for physics.

Quick Reply

Latest