The Student Room Group

Projectiles time to max height and horizontal time?

I'm having difficulty in which method you use for the time to the top and then for the horizontal time. For example on this question: A body is projected at a speed of 50m/s at an angle of 37 to the horizontal and lands on a plateau 25m about the ground level
a) how long does it take to reach this point

Here i did t^2 = 2* 25/ 9.81 and then square rooted the answer to get 3.06s is this correct?

b) what is the horizontal distance covered?

So i know that d=s/t so the speed would be 50* cos(37) but i don't know what to use as time here? Would it be the same as the previous answer?
Original post by Hellospaceboyy
I'm having difficulty in which method you use for the time to the top and then for the horizontal time. For example on this question: A body is projected at a speed of 50m/s at an angle of 37 to the horizontal and lands on a plateau 25m about the ground level
a) how long does it take to reach this point

Here i did t^2 = 2* 25/ 9.81 and then square rooted the answer to get 3.06s is this correct?

b) what is the horizontal distance covered?

So i know that d=s/t so the speed would be 50* cos(37) but i don't know what to use as time here? Would it be the same as the previous answer?

a) The initial velocity (component) in the vertical direction is 50 sin 37
I don't see this in your working.

b) Yes it's the same time.
Original post by Stonebridge
a) The initial velocity (component) in the vertical direction is 50 sin 37
I don't see this in your working.

b) Yes it's the same time.

The initial velocity isn't needed to work out the time is it? Is my version not correct?
Original post by Hellospaceboyy
The initial velocity isn't needed to work out the time is it? Is my version not correct?

The time taken is found from the vertical motion. You have to find the time for an object projected upwards from ground level to go up to maximum height and then fall back to 25m above ground level. It certainly does depend on the initial vertical component of velocity. I told you how to find that in the other post. You also need that value of u, initial velocity, in your suvat equation to find t from the given values of s (25m) and gravity.
So your version is not correct as it omits u.

Quick Reply

Latest