The Student Room Group

Someone explain what an EPQ is and how is works?

I'm currently in year 11 studying for my GCSEs and I'm in the process of choosing my A levels. I've also heard of this Extended project qualification. I know very little about what this is, my school isn't particularly informative or good at advice.

Anyone care to give me a brief explanation?
Reply 1
I just finished my epq last month - my board is edexcel
It essentially is a project where you are able to explore a topic of your choice, any subject outside of your a levels for example, my epq was on human right and the uk and us counter terrorist efforts as I have a real interest in the subject and I hope to study law at uni. It can be on anything that interests you academically.
My school focused on the essay as a final product which was a 5000 word essay on a specific title that was related to the topic you choose ( like a mini dissertation). some other schools offer you the chance to complete art projects, performances and field research - depends on what your school/ college offers.
The most important part you will graded on is not the final product, but the process and the log book. You get allocated a supervisor who sees over the whole project from the very beginning as you develop your project. The log book willl be a written account by you, at various stages, that monitors you progress. You will complete proposals, reviews and presentations throughout as well as a report and reflection at the end.
The whole point of an epq is to develop your knowledge in a really specific area and undergo an intellectual 'journey'
I personally found it eeally valuable- for interviews, my personal statement and also to really hone into academic research and writing.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Pick a topic of your choice and make / preform / write about it in an almost university style. You have to also do some tedious stuff like a log of what you do each day, presentation and evaluation.

It's a good qualification and can give you something to talk about in your PS if your really stuck for stuff. However it's quite a bit of work, so you need to be motivated about your subject.

Don't worry about it until next year. Depending on how you juggle your as levels, it maybe a good / bad thing to take.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest