The Student Room Group

Will the heartache ever go away?

Happy new year firstly folks. I was just wondering, has anybody really truly loved somebody so much and then had their heartbroken by that person and managed to get over it? (You've probably all read my previous threads, cheated on, left for that person etc) But, after everything he put me through I still think about him from time to time, I just want to be able to look back on the memories and not get upset, but I always do. I put so much in to be with him and it wasn't good enough. It's been a month and a half now since we split up so when will the heartache eventually go away?:frown:

Scroll to see replies

How long ago did you break up? It's very difficult, but I think it gets better over time.
Reply 2
Original post by Dragonfly07
How long ago did you break up? It's very difficult, but I think it gets better over time.

We broke up a month and a half ago. He's completely over it, he moved on within the first week we split up. It's just seriously broken me, he was the first guy I ever really loved and trusted :frown:
Reply 3
Oooo as a guy it's happened to me once. I won't go into too much detail but the basics of it were that me and her were super super super close and I thought I could tell her anything turns out she disregarded everything I said (when I was going through a rough time) and since then we haven't spoken. For the first few days I couldn't stop thinking about her like that's all I thought about. Even on Whatsapp I sent her a message before and she didn't respond but her status was "online" kinda hurts that you're feeling ignored.... Anyways. I got over her in two weeks. I had a friend who helped me through that stage and without her I probably would be in heartache now. You need to find someone that you can confide in and trust and share anything with and that person will help you out alot!
I was with my first love for 15 months. He started dating someone else pretty much straight away and it hurt like hell for the first 3 months and took 6 months to get over it completely. Obviously that's just my experience and it will be different for everyone, but the pain won't last forever.
Reply 5
Original post by Dilsz
Oooo as a guy it's happened to me once. I won't go into too much detail but the basics of it were that me and her were super super super close and I thought I could tell her anything turns out she disregarded everything I said (when I was going through a rough time) and since then we haven't spoken. For the first few days I couldn't stop thinking about her like that's all I thought about. Even on Whatsapp I sent her a message before and she didn't respond but her status was "online" kinda hurts that you're feeling ignored.... Anyways. I got over her in two weeks. I had a friend who helped me through that stage and without her I probably would be in heartache now. You need to find someone that you can confide in and trust and share anything with and that person will help you out alot!

Sounds similar to me, he disregarded me when I was going through depression and eventually told him. Just sucks, somebody you give so much to- can you just forget you so easily. I had to go through hell and back just to be with him and it wasn't enough. The thing I do worry about is he's the first guy I've ever shown interest to, others I haven't and that's what worries me:frown:
Reply 6
Original post by MissDavies
I was with my first love for 15 months. He started dating someone else pretty much straight away and it hurt like hell for the first 3 months and took 6 months to get over it completely. Obviously that's just my experience and it will be different for everyone, but the pain won't last forever.

:frown: I hope not. Cause the pains breaking me, I just cry a lot- just sucks so much x
Reply 7
Original post by Kellyxo
Sounds similar to me, he disregarded me when I was going through depression and eventually told him. Just sucks, somebody you give so much to- can you just forget you so easily. I had to go through hell and back just to be with him and it wasn't enough. The thing I do worry about is he's the first guy I've ever shown interest to, others I haven't and that's what worries me:frown:

Yup exactly like me :P I used to sit next to this girl in Law and she was all nice used to make me laugh a lot (we got separated multiple times) used to text all day go out to the park etc. I know it sounds pathetic but I genuinely thought she was the one. For you I would advise you to not to dwell too much on it. I know it sounds easy but I know it ain't. If you genuinely need anything else just PM me :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Dilsz
Yup exactly like me :P I used to sit next to this girl in Law and she was all nice used to make me laugh a lot (we got separated multiple times) used to text all day go out to the park etc. I know it sounds pathetic but I genuinely thought she was the one. For you I would advise you to not to dwell too much on it. I know it sounds easy but I know it ain't. If you genuinely need anything else just PM me :smile:

Sucks. Weird how people can just leave so easily. Thank you, it means a lot. Happy new year to you x
Reply 9
the only thing that heals a broken heart is time.you will always remember the pain he caused you though.
Reply 10
Original post by emobambam
the only thing that heals a broken heart is time.you will always remember the pain he caused you though.

I just wish I could forget:frown:
Original post by Kellyxo
We broke up a month and a half ago. He's completely over it, he moved on within the first week we split up. It's just seriously broken me, he was the first guy I ever really loved and trusted :frown:

You're in exactly the same situation as me. Also 1.5 months since breakup. Also first love/first person I trusted. Are you still in contact with him?
Reply 12
You're in exactly the same situation as me. Also 1.5 months since breakup. Also first love/first person I trusted. Are you still in contact with him?

Sucks so bad doesn't it. I was, but no longer. Whenever we did try talking I'd just get stupidly angry with him for what he put me through and wed just argue, so we don't talk anymore:/. What about you??x
Reply 13
I will be honest the pain last for months and the bitter memories for years. New love is the best cure..
Reply 14
Original post by Zarek
I will be honest the pain last for months and the bitter memories for years. New love is the best cure..

How am I supposed to find new love when I found it so hard to find somebody I truly loved in the first place:frown:
Original post by Kellyxo
Sucks so bad doesn't it. I was, but no longer. Whenever we did try talking I'd just get stupidly angry with him for what he put me through and wed just argue, so we don't talk anymore:/. What about you??x

Also same. I always tried to talk to him and then got angry every time (I said some pretty hurtful things!), but I still wanted to talk to him obsessively. Even though it still hurts though, reducing contact makes you forget about it for a bit.

I'll tell you what I realised. The reason I was heartbroken wasn't because he left me... I knew that we aren't compatible and shouldn't be together. It was that he promised me he wouldn't leave me, and then he left me for someone else.

Try to imagine him begging you to come back to him and get back into a relationship, would you say yes? The answer would probably honestly be no, but you'd feel better if he did because it would make you feel like he at least somewhat cares about you, and when he told you he loved you in the relationship it wasn't a complete lie. That's what I'm feeling right now - the lack of care is what hurts so much.

The best thing to do is to stop caring yourself, as hard as it may be. He'll probably end up respecting you more if you get over it quicker and move on. Even if you don't feel like you can move on, it's still better to keep a distance from him and pretend like you did move on.
It's only been a month and a half, of course it's still gonna be hard for you. But, honestly you will meet someone so much better who treats you how you deserve :smile: The more time that goes by, the stronger and happier you will feel. I promise. Just give it more time :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Kellyxo
How am I supposed to find new love when I found it so hard to find somebody I truly loved in the first place:frown:

It's a good question and I didn't find it easy - a long period of loneliness. The desire to search returns in due course and thankfully, in my experience, there is more than one person for everyone..
Reply 18
Also same. I always tried to talk to him and then got angry every time (I said some pretty hurtful things!), but I still wanted to talk to him obsessively. Even though it still hurts though, reducing contact makes you forget about it for a bit.

I'll tell you what I realised. The reason I was heartbroken wasn't because he left me... I knew that we aren't compatible and shouldn't be together. It was that he promised me he wouldn't leave me, and then he left me for someone else.

Try to imagine him begging you to come back to him and get back into a relationship, would you say yes? The answer would probably honestly be no, but you'd feel better if he did because it would make you feel like he at least somewhat cares about you, and when he told you he loved you in the relationship it wasn't a complete lie. That's what I'm feeling right now - the lack of care is what hurts so much.

The best thing to do is to stop caring yourself, as hard as it may be. He'll probably end up respecting you more if you get over it quicker and move on. Even if you don't feel like you can move on, it's still better to keep a distance from him and pretend like you did move on.

It's so weird to read you write that because that is everything that crosses my mind. I get so angry because he also promised me he wouldn't leave, promised me that he would never treat me as badly as he had treated his previous because he learnt his lesson and never had feelings like this for anybody. I guess you're right and right about not taking him back, I couldn't put myself through the pain again. Too much x
Definitely :hugs:

it seems like it will never end or never possibly be ok at the time but trust me (and everyone else) you will stop hurting! You'll feel better again someday, slowly but surely! I promise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending