The Student Room Group

I am struggling with GCSE Maths.

I am a Y13 student and deciding what I want to do after Sixth Form. I was considering the idea of Uni but I haven't applied for UCAS or anything and I'm not sure that I will be ready for it..

But most Uni's want a C at least in Maths anyway and I just don't know how I will get it this year. I have tried really hard to get it but I only end up getting a F or a G as a final grade even if I think I did well. It's okay to laugh :P

I've always been in the bottom set of Maths since learning it in Primary School and this is essentially my last year to get it, as my Sixth Form said they would banish the idea of letting people do Y14, and I'd have to do it elsewhere.

I am mildly Autistic, and a lot of people with Autism or Aspergers are skilled in Numerical things but not me. Whether this plays a role I don't know, but I'm just worried now at this stage about whether it will affect my choices in further education.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Songbird595
I am a Y13 student and deciding what I want to do after Sixth Form. I was considering the idea of Uni but I haven't applied for UCAS or anything and I'm not sure that I will be ready for it..

But most Uni's want a C at least in Maths anyway and I just don't know how I will get it this year. I have tried really hard to get it but I only end up getting a F or a G as a final grade even if I think I did well. It's okay to laugh :P

I've always been in the bottom set of Maths since learning it in Primary School and this is essentially my last year to get it, as my Sixth Form said they would banish the idea of letting people do Y14, and I'd have to do it elsewhere.

I am mildly Autistic, and a lot of people with Autism or Aspergers are skilled in Numerical things but not me. Whether this plays a role I don't know, but I'm just worried now at this stage about whether it will affect my choices in further education.

Have you tried using something like Khanacademy or Examsolutions?

Khanacademy in particular explains things completely from the ground up (From basic addition to algebra, etc). It's structured in a US style though, so you have to find the videos that you need for GCSE.

Examsolutions is more A Level orientated, but the page I linked to has some GCSE stuff.

Some people find it easier to learn through these videos than a textbook or teacher.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2

What are your sixth form subjects, what might you want to do at university
Reply 3
Thanks, I will check them out!

Original post by TenOfThem
What are your sixth form subjects, what might you want to do at university

Media Studies and Music BTEC. I'm hoping to go into Music Production and work as an engineer in a recording studio, but I aim to create soundtracks for Media Productions when I'm older.

Go through Mathswatch clips and do lots of past papers.
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
Go through Mathswatch clips and do lots of past papers.

This won't move a grade F student to a C.
Reply 6
Thanks, I will check them out!

Media Studies and Music BTEC. I'm hoping to go into Music Production and work as an engineer in a recording studio, but I aim to create soundtracks for Media Productions when I'm older.

Perhaps it is worth looking at HNC or HND courses, I am not sure of the entry requirements but it may be worth looking
Original post by Mr M
This won't move a grade F student to a C.

why not? he could easily get a C+ using Mathswatch if he sits higher paper.
(edited 10 years ago)
What about getting a tutor? I know they're not cheap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
why not?

I suspect Songbird has made no progress in mathematics in 7 years at secondary school. It is therefore entirely unrealistic to expect him to make 3 levels of progress in 5 months without tuition.
why not? he could easily get a C+ using Mathswatch if he sits higher paper.

Really

I guess that explains why over 30% of students fail to achieve a C even after multiple attempts
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by qwertyking
What about getting a tutor? I know they're not cheap.

It's also not a magic cure-all. Some people have difficulties with mathematics that cannot be addressed by a few one-to-one tuition sessions.
Original post by Mr M
I suspect Songbird has made no progress in mathematics in 7 years at secondary school. It is therefore entirely unrealistic to expect him to make 3 levels of progress in 5 months without tuition.

Yeah now that does make sense.

Original post by TenOfThem
Really

I guess that explains why nearly 30% of students fail to achieve a C even after multiple attempts

It's only 50-60 marks out of 200 to get a C.
http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Documents/GCSE%20composite%201306%20v2.pdf
http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Documents/1203%20GCSE%20Full%20Course%20(Linear%20Specification)%20Grade%20Boundaries.pdf
http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Documents/1206%20GCSE%20Full%20Course%20(Linear%20Specification)%20Grade%20Boundaries.pdf
(edited 10 years ago)

Sorry, but given the OPs situation I think your last comment is quite rude

Some people struggle with maths - they work very hard but they simply struggle with the concepts
Reply 14
I am also taking Maths at Foundation level, not higher. And I'm on the Edexcel board.
I am also taking Maths at Foundation level, not higher. And I'm on the Edexcel board.

Foundation is the correct tier of entry for someone who has got G and F grades in the past.

Edexcel does look like the easiest board for GCSE Maths but I guess all exam boards should be of similar difficulty. And on the foundation level you need a lot more marks than on the higher paper I believe.
Original post by Mr M
Foundation is the correct tier of entry for someone who has got G and F grades in the past.

Mr M, do you approve of the idea of schools entering students at the E, F and G grade areas into the Higher Linear paper or do you think that it is wrong?
Original post by Galileo Galilei
Mr M, do you approve of the idea of schools entering students at the E, F and G grade areas into the Higher Linear paper or do you think that it is wrong?

F and G students will just get a U so it is pointless. E grade Foundation students often pick up a D on the Higher Tier so I can see a small benefit for them.
Edexcel does look like the easiest board for GCSE Maths but I guess all exam boards should be of similar difficulty.

They are all the same.

And on the foundation level you need a lot more marks than on the higher paper I believe.

This is correct.

Quick Reply

Latest