The Student Room Group

I am struggling with GCSE Maths.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My maths teacher said don't let Maths get in the way of your future plans for higher education and what you want to do, but if I want to go to University it seems now having a C at least in Maths is a standard. I want to try and improve and challenge myself, but Maths has caused me a lot of stress. Most of which is probably irrational but I'm still undecided how to deal with it.
Original post by Songbird595
My maths teacher said don't let Maths get in the way of your future plans for higher education and what you want to do, but if I want to go to University it seems now having a C at least in Maths is a standard.

You will be able to find a suitable Higher Education course that does not have this requirement.
Reply 22
MyMaths may help you as well as Khanacademy as someone mentioned

Don't give up, TRY to understand WHY you do the very fundamental things, how things work and how ideas connect together. Feel free to go all the way back to the very fundamental things in Maths, don't be embarrassed, and THEN go to the higher topics. Make sure you practice by doing the questions after studying a chapter, figure out WHY you get a question wrong. I used to struggle a lot with GCSE Maths as well. I couldn't understand the things in lesson and felt things were way too fast for me. So I went all the way back through in my own time, at my own nice slow pace, the far more basic things. It turned out that eventually I could actually make sense of the basic fundamental things which I couldn't work out like a year or two earlier, perhaps my head developed. It turns out that now I'm doing A2 Maths + AS Further Maths:smile:. The point is perhaps you're struggling to understand B/C/D grade concepts because you need a stronger understanding of the more fundamental basic F/G grade concepts? I used this book for GCSE Maths

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Mathematics-Edexcel-2010-Student/dp/1846908086/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388685744&sr=8-2&keywords=Edexcel+modular+GCSE+maths+unit+3

I found it quite nice because although it says higher tier, it still was quite effective in helping me make sense of lower grade topics:smile:.

Good luck
(edited 10 years ago)
My maths teacher said don't let Maths get in the way of your future plans for higher education and what you want to do, but if I want to go to University it seems now having a C at least in Maths is a standard. I want to try and improve and challenge myself, but Maths has caused me a lot of stress. Most of which is probably irrational but I'm still undecided how to deal with it.

This is why I suggest looking at HNC or HND

TBH there will be some degree courses that do not require a C in maths so it may be worth doing an UCAS search and calling a few universities
Practice past paper over past paper. Practice the hell out of Maths... Understand how to work things out. Grind it out, all the time. Practice again and again until you become comfortable with a topic then practice another topic and go back to the topics over and over. Practice is how you do well in maths, I had a similar situation in where I couldn't turn a B into an A. After just grinding out past papers I became comfortable and well.. I'm getting my results in a couple days :K: so we'll see.
Reply 25
Original post by TenOfThem
This is why I suggest looking at HNC or HND

TBH there will be some degree courses that do not require a C in maths so it may be worth doing an UCAS search and calling a few universities

Ok, I will do some research about those courses. I feel though if I don't have the GCSE though I might regret it. Do you recommend me revising really hard for the exam in June? lol.
Ok, I will do some research about those courses. I feel though if I don't have the GCSE though I might regret it. Do you recommend me revising really hard for the exam in June? lol.

It is always worth another go - but I would not let it get in the way of your main courses
Reply 27
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Practice past paper over past paper. Practice the hell out of Maths... Understand how to work things out. Grind it out, all the time. Practice again and again until you become comfortable with a topic then practice another topic and go back to the topics over and over. Practice is how you do well in maths, I had a similar situation in where I couldn't turn a B into an A. After just grinding out past papers I became comfortable and well.. I'm getting my results in a couple days :K: so we'll see.

Thanks man :smile: What date do you get the results and did you do the November retake? A few of my friends did.
(edited 10 years ago)
Do you recommend me revising really hard for the exam in June? lol.

I wouldn't. I'd recommend you concentrate all your efforts on getting the best possible grades in your Year 13 courses.
Original post by Abdul-Karim

Turning a B into an A is completely different to turning an F/G into a C.
KhanAcademy is your friend
Thanks man :smile: What date do you get the results and did you do the November retake? A few of my friends did.

Yeah, I did the retake. I have no idea.. within the next 10 days, I would imagine. Mr M is right however, you should prioritise your current studies over GCSE Maths. I revised at least an hour or 2 every night at around 8pm once I've completed the necessary revision/work for my current A-level subjects. Regardless, all the best.
Original post by Mr M
Turning a B into an A is completely different to turning an F/G into a C.

I'm not too familiar with F/G grade, I was merely offering advice from experience. Continuous Practicing is the only way I've ever seemed to understand maths. You're the teacher, however.. Your advice would be more suitable.
Original post by Mr M
They are all the same.

Yeah, I guess they are.
Reply 34
Original post by tenofthem
it is always worth another go - but i would not let it get in the way of your main courses

go for this, don't give up op
Reply 35
Original post by krisshP
go for this, don't give up op

Thanks a lot, I won't give up, just need to manage my time of my subjects. I only do 2 so it should be ok!
Reply 36
If you get stuck on a question, post it here:smile:.
Going to second the book recommendation from krisshP - it really helps if you're self teaching also (which I presume you are).
The other thing I would say is buy a number of different revision guides. Most of them are quite similar, but the same concept shown in a different way might make sense to you.
Best of luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
I am a Y13 student and deciding what I want to do after Sixth Form. I was considering the idea of Uni but I haven't applied for UCAS or anything and I'm not sure that I will be ready for it..

But most Uni's want a C at least in Maths anyway and I just don't know how I will get it this year. I have tried really hard to get it but I only end up getting a F or a G as a final grade even if I think I did well. It's okay to laugh :P

I've always been in the bottom set of Maths since learning it in Primary School and this is essentially my last year to get it, as my Sixth Form said they would banish the idea of letting people do Y14, and I'd have to do it elsewhere.

I am mildly Autistic, and a lot of people with Autism or Aspergers are skilled in Numerical things but not me. Whether this plays a role I don't know, but I'm just worried now at this stage about whether it will affect my choices in further education.

This PERSONALLY worked for me but may not work for everyone else. I was working at an F but then became a B in a year. I did this simply by doing a Foundation paper, from scratch. Then, see where I lost marks. I used online sites (like ExamSolutions and the latter), revision guides, YouTube, all sorts and then learnt the areas I didn't understand, and kept practising questions on these topics until I fully understood it and could answer any question on the topic confidently. I did that until I could get a solid and high C in any Foundation paper or full marks on one, then moved on to doing the same with a Higher paper but not focusing on getting full marks but up to around a B or high C. This worked for me, and I could even go further to do the same and maybe even get an A or A*. I think it's just practice and learning that's all that you need. This may not work for you but putting that out there as something to try that might work. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mr M
This won't move a grade F student to a C.

Will this(Mathswatch and past papers) move a D student to a C and possibly a B between now and June?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest