The Student Room Group

Why should animals die for us?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2521087/Rats-guillotined-colleges-lab-Top-university-overhaul-animal-research-work-undercover-investigation-revealed-appalling-conditions.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2503359/British-universities-killed-1-3m-animals-research-year-including-million-mice-10-dogs-emus.html

Top universities like Imperial, Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh are killing the animals in the name of research. Though there are many advantages achieved through these researches, don't you think that we should instead research on different methods to avoid animals getting killed? Some people will say that through research many medicines for dangerous diseases are being discovered, but why don't human apply their brains to develop a simulation of medicine working in animal or human anatomy.

Instead of executing criminals by firing squad, lethal injection, electric chair, hanging or stoning, why don't we use these people on research. Forget human rights, but animals like us too have right to live.

Graphic images spoiler (Mod Edit)

The pictures above are the dog meat markets in South Korea. Looking at these pictures many of us will feel sympathy for dogs. But if the same thing happen to chickens, cow/bulls or pork we won't feel disgusted and I am pretty sure that looking at dog meat photos many people will immediately criticize Koreans for weird food habits? But then shouldn't we must look at ourselves? If a chicken dies, few people will express concern and if a dog dies everyone will feel sad. Don't you all think animals even tiniest of them like insects have a right to live? A purpose to enjoy the beauty of the world? And what we humans are good at? From childhood we enjoy with toys, with teenage years we hangout with friends, adulthood working and during old age retirement. But what about these 'domestic'animals? Born in cage, grow in cage, rot there and finally they are butchered. Most of the animals are lucky like pet dog, cats but same is not true for all other animals.

So don't you think that we should not ruin life of animals? And why we are calling ourselves humans if we are not 'humane'. I feel we should call ourselves Homo-Sapiens and not humans because we are not doing justice to other living beings around. Would like to hear your opinions.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We need to eat, otherwise we die. As simple as that.
Reply 2
Original post by SikO124
We need to eat, otherwise we die. As simple as that.

We have plants so why go for flesh for our diet?
Reply 3
You encourage that we forget human rights for the sake of animal rights, this is where I stop taking you seriously
I care about human life more than I care about animal life.

I'm sorry, but I think that is true of all reasonable people.
Reply 5
We are superior and are the top predators. A lion wouldn't stop and let his prey go free simply because he feels sorry for it
Reply 6
Original post by ElChapo
You encourage that we forget human rights for the sake of animal rights, this is where I stop taking you seriously

So you mean to say that criminals are entitled to have rights, whereas innocent animals not. You are not the first one to say that, but many people feel that criminals must not be used for research purpose. I am not saying that humans must be denied on their rights, but why compromise on the rights of animals?
Reply 7
Such considerations are for those who live a comfortable and cushioned life in a developed region of the world. When your life is in the balance (as we see with famine and starvation in the world) you will, in all honesty not give a **** about the rights of the animal except a fleeting consideration, because as the user above has said . . . we need to eat. It would go against your natural basic instinct to not eat animals that can be eaten.
Reply 8
Original post by North Wolf
We have plants so why go for flesh for our diet?

Plants don't give us all we need. Animal proteins are essential and they are only found, as their name indicates, in animals.
Reply 9
Original post by Pistol 33
We are superior and are the top predators. A lion wouldn't stop and let his prey go free simply because he feels sorry for it

Agree with that, but lion kills only for necessity. We humans are almost ruining the lives of animal kingdom. You can't humans as supreme predators because they also claim to be the 'most civilized' species and killing all animals just because you are powerful just shows barbarism.
Reply 10
Original post by SikO124
Plants don't give us all we need. Animal proteins are essential and they are only found, as their name indicates, in animals.

The consumption of meat is not a necessity; if it is, I should have been dead a long time ago.
Reply 11
Original post by SikO124

I believe we have eggs, milk, pills and even recent lab produced meat patty which will take care of proteins.
Original post by SikO124

That's a pretty poor argument - vegetarians can easily get their full compliment of nutrients. (Not that I'm a vegetarian).

I'm also highly sceptical that killing animals is not necessary for this research - why would the world-class scientists at these institutions kill animals if it wasn't necessary? It would be stupid.
Reply 13
Original post by HollyB_C
The consumption of meat is not a necessity; if it is, I should have been dead a long time ago.

Original post by North Wolf
I believe we have eggs, milk, pills and even recent lab produced meat patty which will take care of proteins.

Original post by PythianLegume
That's a pretty poor argument - vegetarians can easily get their full compliment of nutrients. (Not that I'm a vegetarian).

I'm also highly sceptical that killing animals is not necessary for this research - why would the world-class scientists at these institutions kill animals if it wasn't necessary? It would be stupid.

There are a lot of studies that prove vegetarians have deficit on quite a lot of things. And Holly, you won't die, but you're not as healthy as someone who has a diverse diet.
Original post by SikO124
There are a lot of studies that prove vegetarians have deficit on quite a lot of things. And Holly, you won't die, but you're not as healthy as someone who has a diverse diet.

Vegetarians having nutrient deficits isn't the same as being unable to get nutrients while being vegetarian.
Reply 15
Original post by Capn cas
Such considerations are for those who live a comfortable and cushioned life in a developed region of the world. When your life is in the balance (as we see with famine and starvation in the world) you will, in all honesty not give a **** about the rights of the animal except a fleeting consideration, because as the user above has said . . . we need to eat. It would go against your natural basic instinct to not eat animals that can be eaten.

Such circumstances should be considered, but you should also remember that those people who are leading comfortable life are too consuming the meat. Forget about consumption, talk about fussy celebs who exclusively want fur coats from different animals.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HollyB_C

Have you ever walked past KFC?
Because they can't fight back? MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHA
Original post by PythianLegume

Stupid yes, lots of money and jobs involved? Yes. I don't know much about contemporary medical science but can someone name a medical problem solved in the last decade by animal research?
Reply 19
Original post by bananaminion
Have you ever walked past KFC?

Not necessarily everyone goes to KFC. Many veggies, or people who are truly concern about animals won't go there at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending