The Student Room Group

Math a level confusion

I am so confused about a level maths >.< so there's further and there's pure?! i don't understand?! What the heck is Maths a levels?\!
Reply 1
Haha it's probably quite complicated to get your head around at first. It also depends on the exam board. What exactly do you want to find out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
A maths A-Level is made up of the following (Edexcel)
AS

C1
C2
An applied module (S1,m1 or d1)

A2
C3
C4
Another applied module

Further maths
As
FP1
2 applied modules

A2
FP2/3
1/2 applied modules depending on if you took both of the above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ilysvm
I am so confused about a level maths >.< so there's further and there's pure?! i don't understand?! What the heck is Maths a levels?\!

All this is for AQA but I think this applies to other exam boards too!

There are 2 types of maths A Levels. There's Mathematics and Further Mathematics. Nearly everyone who takes Further Maths takes Maths too (you need the knowledge from the standard maths A Level!

All A Levels have AS and A2 modules. Mathematics (not further) has Core 1 and Core 2 as compulsory AS modules and then a choice from a list of many modules. This could be statistics, decision or mechanics. A2 has core 3 and 4 as compulsory and a choice of modules again. If you took Statistics 1 let's say at AS, you have to either take a different module like Decision 1 or Statistics 2.

Further Maths is what it says on the tin - it takes maths further than the standard A Level. There are compulsory (Further Pure 1 etc.) and I believe you can choose your third module for AS and A2 from the same list as the standard course! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest