The Student Room Group

The Sunderland A.F.C Thread

Scroll to see replies

Great win yesterday, just what we needed :biggrin:

Original post by Mackay
Disagree completely. He's better than Mannone for sure, but he doesn't come close to DDG, Lloris, Cech, Courtois, Ospina, Krul, Begovic, Forster etc. I'd even rate Adrian, Heaton, Schmeichel and Mignolet above him too.

I think you're doing him an injustice. His kicking is terrible but other than that he's class. He commands his box well and releases so much pressure on the defence coming for corners and high balls in, much like Courtois does. There was a bit of a mess doing this v Southampton but I think that was more on Coates than Pants. His passion is great too, when he makes a good/timely save he's really amped up about it, there's some fight in him which is just what this team needs.
Jack Colback to score an OG or a PVA double next week to save us, whats more likely??
You need to be careful against Arsenal. You may only need a point to stay up, but Arsenal will be looking to recapture some of their form ahead of the FA Cup final. They lost to Swansea and drew to United, but will want to get back to winning ways against Sunderland and try to gain second place.

A game in hand can be a blessing in disguise at this stage of the season, but by the same token, it could bite you in the arse if you get battered and your goal difference succumbs to Newcastle's depths.
All I will say is remember Sheffield United back in 2006/07
YES PANTI! YES SEB! Get in BigOldDick! HAHAHAH thanks arsenal for passing the ball around pointlessly.

YESSSSSS!
Time for a clear out all the same. Goodbye Dick.
Brilliant emotion from Dick. Great to see how much staying in the PL means to him - despite being a foreign manager.
Gerrin :biggrin:
Well in lads, I know many want you down for being a yoyo club, but I'm glad a big team is staying up.I'd much rather see Hull or Newcastle go down
So survival secured, now it's time to get rid of Advocaat and start building for the future.

He was brought in to do one job, keep us in the division, and he's done that and in my opinion the club now needs to thank him and send him on his way. Too often in the past we've made the mistake of keeping on managers who were brought in for the survival scrap and every single time it's bitten us in the arse, need to avoid making the same mistake again.
Original post by mackemforever
So survival secured, now it's time to get rid of Advocaat and start building for the future.

He was brought in to do one job, keep us in the division, and he's done that and in my opinion the club now needs to thank him and send him on his way. Too often in the past we've made the mistake of keeping on managers who were brought in for the survival scrap and every single time it's bitten us in the arse, need to avoid making the same mistake again.

Gladly take him back at Rangers. Great manager.
Not a magnificent game last night by any stretch of the imagination, but your defending was absolutely superb. Fletcher should have made it a lot easier by taking one of his gilt-edged chances, too. The work ethic of your midfield was exceptional - Larsson in particular.

Madly, if the season started in March, Sunderland would be top six. You just seem to spend so much of the season being absolutely dog**** - and then you have to draft in some short-term manager (Di Canio, Poyet, Advocaat) to keep you up before being **** again the next season.
Boy if I was a Sunderland fan I'd have a lot of heart issues by now

Nice save lads once again. As a Liverpool fan I developed a lot of respect for your team during the last few years with the transfers (Hendo, Mignolet) and with those wins magnificent results towards the end of last year. Happy to see you stay up unlike what most people say, Sunderland is a big club in term of fan base and support, and deserves to be in the league a lot more than certain other teams.

Time to plan for the future and try to avoid those mistakes again as stated above.
Original post by Bilkos_Ices
Gerrin :biggrin:

Yes Lad! We did it again!!

Original post by theo1jinx
Boy if I was a Sunderland fan I'd have a lot of heart issues by now

Nice save lads once again. As a Liverpool fan I developed a lot of respect for your team during the last few years with the transfers (Hendo, Mignolet) and with those wins magnificent results towards the end of last year. Happy to see you stay up unlike what most people say, Sunderland is a big club in term of fan base and support, and deserves to be in the league a lot more than certain other teams.

Time to plan for the future and try to avoid those mistakes again as stated above.

Thanks for the credit we deserve that other fans don't seem to give! Yeah we need to get our development and strategy better so we can improve and not just survive you're right.

Original post by mackemforever

Totally agree, said it when he was brought in and felt we should have got someone younger with a vision even if it meant going down.

He proved me wrong and for that I'm delighted but this is the chance to build a mindset of how the club can go forward, similar to how Southampton & Swansea have done. Wouldn't personally mind someone like Warburton.
A key thing Advocaat has done is drop Vergini and back van Aanholt/Jones. Going forward, they are much better than Poyet's defensive minded full-backs and Dick has also got you getting more bodies in the box. His 4-3-3 is a mile away from the conservative nature of Poyet's one up top, and it's helped you stay up and reinvigorate you going forward.
Black cats r leading go Lads
BIG reports linking us with Ronny Deila.. not bad.

Sure you'll manage it again one day.
Original post by scriggy

Sure you'll manage it again one day.

It's like **** finishing just about ****e
Original post by 53SecondsToGo
It's like **** finishing just about ****e

It's still nice to be the best ****.

Quick Reply

Latest