The Student Room Group

English controlled assessment.

Hey guys this term at school we have had a load of exams, including one English literature controlled assessment that is 30% of our GCSE. All of our exams came in the post and I had 5A*'s and 5A's. The only one that has not come is the C.A result, I am having it in January. It's my first ever big exam so I'm very nervous. I have just got a few questions.

First of all: how are the exams graded. I know how the teachers mark them, but I do not know how the results are given. Are you given a grade on what you had on your exams, or are you given what you are expected to get on the GCSE result.

Second: how do the teachers give the result. Do the teachers call you into a room one by one, or are you given the results on a paper, or the exam sheet?

And finally: how do you stop feeling nervous?

I know a lot of these can differ, depending on what school you go to/ what teachers you have but if so, what did your school do and what was your experience. I go to a private school by the way so that might be a bit different to state schools. Sorry if the post was long, but I would appreciate people answering it. Thanks!
Hey, just read this.... What do you mean by exams because controlled assessments aren't exams, so where you 5A*s 5As (good job btw!!) for internal tests? CA's arent big exams lol, so no need to panic over it! (I've finished all mine). They're marked by your teacher, for English, and then probably cross marked by other teachers in your department, to make sure that everyone is marking consistently, so this can take some time. If your teacher tells you your CA mark or band (we only ever got told our bands - ugh!!), then that is their prediction, and it may change, when it is cross marked by others in the school, or more likely to change, along with everyone else's, when an examiner takes in a sample and marks them so only take the grade you get given from your teacher as a guideline of sorts! I got mine given by the teacher when she was going around the class one at a time during an activity. Mine's a private school too but CAs are pretty chilled, for English though, some of the work can get really long, so I just remembered the main points, jotted about 50 words down on my plan sheet to help me , and rambled in the thing but if you're quite meticulous, you might want to try and learn some big chunks, though I wouldn't recommend slaving over learning your CA for hours as I got given some sample full mark pieces for English to look at and they were good but had inconsistencies and weren't too polished if ygm!
Ignore me if I'm rambling about the wrong things, as I'm not sure whether by exams you meant CA's :smile: Good luck!
Reply 2
Thanks. By the way, the exams were all internal. I know the control assessment isn't an exam, but my school calls them exams and they are taken really seriously, so I've got into the habit of calling controlled assessments exams lol.
Original post by Darthmaul41
Thanks. By the way, the exams were all internal. I know the control assessment isn't an exam, but my school calls them exams and they are taken really seriously, so I've got into the habit of calling controlled assessments exams lol.

Haha ok, well feel free to check anything about your ca's with me if you want! (Got A* in Eng Lang CAs and Eng Lit being moderated at the moment!)
Reply 4
Original post by zintanax
Haha ok, well feel free to check anything about your ca's with me if you want! (Got A* in Eng Lang CAs and Eng Lit being moderated at the moment!)

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending