The Student Room Group

E.ON Finance graduate scheme - Telephone Interview

Has anyone had a telephone interview with E.ON for their finance graduate scheme? How did it go? I have mine next week and I'm slightly nervous.

I was told it will be
competency based but after some research I have seen that some people were asked technical questions too (but for different schemes other than finance), so I was wondering if anyone that's had a finance interview were asked technical questions / questions based more on the company and scheme as well?

I did a maths degree which wasn't very finance related, so I'm worried I won't know much about the technical finance questions if they ask me any!

Thanks.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi Hollie

I have never done an interview for E.ON specifically but hopefully I can be of assistance. The first question to ask is this:

1) Did the people who got asked technical questions have technical degrees?

Some areas of a business do expect graduates with more vocational knowledge (IT being the obvious one). Legal would also expect candidates with some training in Law. It would make sense then to give them such a grilling. Finance tends to be open to graduates from a wider range of backgrounds (mathematics and physics graduates make excellent candidates by the way and wouldn't necessarily have deep accounting knowledge. Interviewers will almost always ask what you studied on your degree too, even if it is non-relevant (indeed accountancy grads may get more of a grilling, because the interviewer can ask more technical questions)!

The next question is this:

2) Can you prove to them that you want to be an accountant/finance professional?

Here's the problem for recruiters in my profession (I work in banking). At school, kids aren't coached enough about their future careers. They often leave school thinking that there are four 'ultimate' good jobs: lawyer, investment banker, accountant and doctor. For every kid who isn't brilliant at science, they aim for the first three without considering all the equally well paid careers out there. Unsurprisingly these fields are oversubscribed at entry level. However, this is not true at more senior positions (or they would earn less, according to economic theory). Why? The huge drop out rate of course!

So, the most important thing you have to do at interview is to prove you want to be an accountant and aren't just looking for a 'good' career.

So, finally:

3) How can you prove you want to be an accountant?

You're obviously bright, you're a mathematics scholar after all. You may have no training in finance but you'll cope reading a company's annual report. Please go here and read E.ON's last annual report:

http://www.eon.com/en/about-us/publications/annual-report.html

Also, read the financial press before your interview. Show some awareness of what is going on, even if you don't understand how it all works.

Finally, think of examples of things you have done in your life to date that might be relevant to accountancy. This might not be obvious; we all pick up skills in the oddest of circumstances after all!
Reply 2
Original post by AW1983
Hi Hollie

I have never done an interview for E.ON specifically but hopefully I can be of assistance. The first question to ask is this:

1) Did the people who got asked technical questions have technical degrees?

Some areas of a business do expect graduates with more vocational knowledge (IT being the obvious one). Legal would also expect candidates with some training in Law. It would make sense then to give them such a grilling. Finance tends to be open to graduates from a wider range of backgrounds (mathematics and physics graduates make excellent candidates by the way and wouldn't necessarily have deep accounting knowledge. Interviewers will almost always ask what you studied on your degree too, even if it is non-relevant (indeed accountancy grads may get more of a grilling, because the interviewer can ask more technical questions)!

The next question is this:

2) Can you prove to them that you want to be an accountant/finance professional?

Here's the problem for recruiters in my profession (I work in banking). At school, kids aren't coached enough about their future careers. They often leave school thinking that there are four 'ultimate' good jobs: lawyer, investment banker, accountant and doctor. For every kid who isn't brilliant at science, they aim for the first three without considering all the equally well paid careers out there. Unsurprisingly these fields are oversubscribed at entry level. However, this is not true at more senior positions (or they would earn less, according to economic theory). Why? The huge drop out rate of course!

So, the most important thing you have to do at interview is to prove you want to be an accountant and aren't just looking for a 'good' career.

So, finally:

3) How can you prove you want to be an accountant?

You're obviously bright, you're a mathematics scholar after all. You may have no training in finance but you'll cope reading a company's annual report. Please go here and read E.ON's last annual report:

http://www.eon.com/en/about-us/publications/annual-report.html

Also, read the financial press before your interview. Show some awareness of what is going on, even if you don't understand how it all works.

Finally, think of examples of things you have done in your life to date that might be relevant to accountancy. This might not be obvious; we all pick up skills in the oddest of circumstances after all!

Thank you very much for your reply, I have found it very useful and it has certainly helped me feel more prepared for my interview. :smile: Thanks a lot!
Reply 3
Hi Hollie
How did your interview go?
I had mine just before christmas and was successful but due to deadline closing on 31st december they told me they will confirm whether or not I have been listed for the assessment centre.
are you in the same position?
Reply 4
Did you guys process in the E.ON graduate scheme, did they sheduled any assessment centre for you?

Quick Reply

Latest